Dispatches from Elsewhere S01E10 Season Finale *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dianebrat, Apr 28, 2020.

1. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Separated out so that it can stand on its own, much like the episode itself.

I'm just amazed that this gem of a show has been flying under the RADAR all season and really wanted to see the end to the story they've been telling over the past 9 episodes, so I'm a bit torn as to how they handled the season finale. I was so hoping to see the resolution of where the characters were going with each other and they very much did not go there.

While I really liked the ultra-meta episode and the stories it told, I'm going to need time to process it and figure out what it means to me since that's what a lot of the show was for me this season, figuring out myself.

I'm sure I'll revisit the show and this post several times.

Steveknj likes this.
  2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I'm ten minutes in, and ready to give up. Do they ever get past the crap with the kid? Every time I think they're ready to move on to the actual show, they just keep going with the kid. Which I'm finding utterly unwatchable. And I'm starting to have nightmares that the whole episode is just this &@^#ing kid...

3. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I liked the Muppets tie-in.
    Looks like they may have set this up for a possible 2nd season.

4. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    There were a few clever bits in this episode but it ended up more meh than meta.

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Once they (finally!) got past the boy garbage it got better, although still not very good. If it had been more a reflection on the creative process and less New Age woo I would probably have been a lot more satisfied. But I have a pretty intense dislike of New Age woo, and having to sit through 15 minutes of boy garbage had me in a pretty bad mood already.

So after nine episodes of really liking this show, I now consider it overall to be an interesting failure.

6. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I wasn't a fan of how this show ended. I thought the first four to six episodes were top-notch TV, a strong "A" in my book. Between the mystery, getting to meet the characters, the way each episode focused on a single POV, it all made for must-see TV.

I thought the last few became progressively weaker. It seems they lost sight of telling a story, and became more scattershot in what they were telling us. The entire Jejune Institute vs the Elsewhere Society just seemed to fall away, devaluing the first half of the season. And Clara went from the Holy Grail to... I don't know what she became. As they moved rapidly ahead in time, the story lost its focus. But the goodwill created by the first half of the season, combined with a desire to see where it all ends, kept me (and I'm sure, all of you) watching.

And then the finale. I felt like I was being lectured to. The message "We're all you" (and other similar homilies) was just beat into our heads. And in the worst way possible, with a meta episode with little redeeming entertainment. I'd give the finale a "C-".

It's like we're on a hike, through the most wondrous scenery on earth, and as we approach the end, the landscape gets more and more drab, until at the end... is nothing. Was the hike worth it?

7. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    well, the name of the episode was “The Boy”, so....

(I think this would have been a better series if it ended after 7, or maybe 8)

8. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Totally agree, though I did like the Peter / Simone relationship so I was glad they spent some time "after the game" on that. but the finale was just weird and not sure why they went there. I usually like when they break the third wall and talk to the audience so that really didn't bother me too much, but the whole thing with going through Jason Segel as a boy and his development as an adult? Not sure what they were trying to get at and was a complete waste of time. If they had thrown the last bit of the episode onto the previous one, it would have worked so much better. But I get the idea that Jason wanted to relate the whole thing all to him for some reason.

Anyway, overall the series was a B+. I'm not really sure what they could do in a S2, but I don't think they intend to have one.

I will probably watch the documentary this was based on over the weekend to get more perspective.

9. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I watched the entire series and it left me wondering why I ever watched it in the first place. I was intrigued by it at first because it seemed like a mystery that needed to be solved. In the end it was just a major letdown. I usually like off-the-wall shows, but this one was just plain weird and didn't really seem to have much of a point to it. I really didn't find it entertaining or enlightening in any way. The show just seemed pointless to me. I'm sure Jason Segel was trying to get something across to the audience but this show was just a mess from the very beginning. The good news is that this was a one-shot season with only 10 episodes.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  10. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I like how they called out the last episode as self-indulgent within the episode itself.

Steveknj, tim1724 and Rob Helmerichs like this.
  11. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    “Jason, call me when you do another Muppets movie”

tim1724 likes this.
  12. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    I have an additional perspective, as I was watching the Discord chat where players were participating in the online portion, the separate Alternate Reality Game, which is where the images of all of the audience "...and I am you" videos came from. There was a parallel story being revealed in a weekly Twitch stream, and interaction via emails and websites. THAT audience LOVED the ending, of course.

I'm torn. I didn't want to play an elaborate game, I just wanted to watch a "limited-run episodic" entertainment. Ironically, the story of the show was about drawing people out of their shells and into the real world to play with one another. And i've been there! I've played ARGs before, some good and some not so much, but they no longer appeal to me. However, watching others play along was entertaining in itself.

I liked the narrative. I liked the meta of the final episode, until it reached the meta-meta preachy part. Octavio's speech at the end just ran too long. I think I will rewatch the series from the beginning, both to look for clues I missed along the way, and to re-experience the wonder.

Thank you to all who stuck with it. You may find it coming back to haunt you one day.

13. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    This finale was different, that's for sure. I'm not sure I understand the reason for it. But like they said in the episode it was self-centered and self indulgent. Are we supposed to think that the rest of the season was his script that he wrote in this episode?

I know Jason Segel was the creator of the series and played Peter, but that's all I know about him. I can honestly say I've never seen anything he's starred in. I probably saw his stuff in CSI back in the day. but that's about it. for a series that had me hooked on it's premise, it sure failed to stick the landing.

14. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    He was in a few Judd Apatow movies and of course he had a long run in "How I Met Your Mother". I believe he was also in the one season of "Freaks and Geeks". But yeah, he's generally a comedic actor and if you aren't into that sort of thing, you probably didn't see him.

To me, the point of the show was right there in the the title 'jejune" which means boring, common. It was meant to bring the mundane out of their shell, to think outside the box, and for the most part it did that. The four main characters needed to move beyond what their lives were about. I don't know but maybe that was what Jason was trying to say in the last episode? Even his "real life" was mundane and boring? Maybe that's why he was drawn to this project in the first place. I thought it was a bit odd that while he played "Jason" in the final episode, the other actors played their parts.

I get the feeling, like certain other finales, there's a chance here that over time I might come to like it more. Some examples are Seinfeld, The Sopranos and a few others. At the time I hated them but when I looked back over time, I have come to like them.

15. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I'm disappointed. The parts of the finale that I understood - I didn't like.

Nine episodes setting up this Clara mystery and in the finale it's never explained? Or if it was, I didn't get it.

Lee was Clara? What?

16. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I started watching "The Institute" on Vudu (free with ads), which is what this is based on. Glad I didn't watch it before or during watching the series as it gave it away as a game. I've watched a little less than half so far, and what they explained so far followed the script of the first few episodes of the show almost exactly (a few names were changed, Clara was a different name for example).

astrohip likes this.
  17. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    When you finish, let us know if you felt it was worth your time to watch.

Thanks.

deli99 likes this.
  18. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I'm sorry, was this seriously ever in doubt? (Or as I saw it perhaps better-described, "a game-like art project.") I know some of the characters got caught up in it, and wanted to believe it was "more" -- but really, what else could it have been?

I think this is why Episode 10 is what it is, BTW -- the story was told in 9 eps, it's a fun story, but ultimately it was "just a game", and that's maybe unsatisfying to some. So we get an extended ending to put it in another frame.

19. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    After watching e1, I watched 15 minutes of the documentary that it was based on, and except for the location, the show followed the documentary exactly (for the first 15 min, anyway), and while the ending being a game may not have been in doubt, I decided to not watch the documentary before the show (and at this point, not sure if I will watch the documentary).

20. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I would recommend watching the documentary for the interviews with the participants. That was the most interesting part for me.