Disney Plus??

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by VeggieBolt, Mar 25, 2020.

1. VeggieBolt

VeggieBolt New Member

Feb 9, 2019

Advertisements

I haven't seen any recent posts asking about Disney + support on tivo devices. Do we know if this is in the pipeline? Disney+ has been out for quite some time now.

2. jaredmwright

jaredmwright Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    I would say never for current DVRs. It will be on the upcoming 4K streaming dongle that runs Android.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

3. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Ask Disney

jrtroo and Teavo like this.
  4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah unlikely to happen. TiVo apps use an old, outdated, development platform. It's unlikely Disney would bother.

The new TiVo streamer will be AndroidTV based. That’ll support Disney+ in a TiVo like UI. Probably as close as you'll get.

AlvisoShowcase likes this.
  5. Apr 1, 2020 #5 of 19
    babsonnexus

babsonnexus Active Member

Jan 13, 2016

Advertisements

I do want to give props to YouTube, though, who have updated their TiVO app so it has all of the same functionality as the other platforms (like the ability to hold the OK button so you can add a video to Watch Later or another list). Netflix also seems to keep it up to date. The rest of them... eh... not so much, and I don't expect new ones. Looking forward to seeing if the Streamer really will have deep linking with all available AndroidTV apps!

kpeters59 likes this.
  6. Apr 1, 2020 #6 of 19
    cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    I wouldn’t hold your breath for ALL apps to have deep linking.

7. Apr 1, 2020 #7 of 19
    mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Amazon Prime on my Roamio seems to be up to date and works well.

8. Craig Todd

Craig Todd New Member

Mar 8, 2005
    So the new Edge is also crippled by using the outdated platform? I was thinking of taking advantage of the HOLIDAY sale to get one but only if it used a newer platform and would support Disney+.

9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yes. The only TiVo device that is capable of running Disney+ is the Stream 4K.

10. CommunityMember

CommunityMember Active Member

May 22, 2020
    The *hardware* is reportedly the same as TiVo's most recent offering for their MSO customers(*), which offers the newer Android TV platform (if the MSO chooses it), which can support Android TV apps (if the MSO enables them). Due to licensing requirements, that MSO platform (the Android TV Operator Tier) is only available to MSOs and not consumers. So unless Disney sees a positive ROI for writing and supporting the app for the legacy platform it is unlikely to happen (and no one sees a positive ROI).

A TiVo is a (very) good DVR, but it is not a platform to expect new apps to be developed for at this point in time. The TiVo Stream is TiVo's answer to widely available apps.

(*) That is why TiVo made it available to consumers, as it was being built for the MSO market so there was no additional hardware development costs (just the need to de-brand / re-skin the TE4 experience for the consumer offering rather than the MSO TE4 offering).

11. BuckosDaddy

BuckosDaddy New Member

Jul 19, 2017
    I called TiVo to request Disney+. I made the case that since TiVo runs on coax instead of Wi-Fi it’s better during this whole CoronaVirus lockdown while the kids are all doing online school. Plus, there’s a Hulu app already configured in TiVo and since Hulu and Disney+ are bundled together, what’s the problem with adding Disney+? This way it frees up my wi-fi (no need to stream through Apple TV) and would probably be faster to get movies up due to working through the coax line.
    Everyone needs to call into TiVo to put the pressure on.
    (877) 289-8486 CALL!!!

12. BuckosDaddy

BuckosDaddy New Member

Jul 19, 2017
    I called TiVo to request Disney+. I made the case that since TiVo runs on coax instead of Wi-Fi it’s better during this whole CoronaVirus lockdown while the kids are all doing online school. Plus, there’s a Hulu app already configured in TiVo and since Hulu and Disney+ are bundled together, what’s the problem with adding Disney+? This way it frees up my wi-fi (no need to stream through Apple TV) and would probably be faster to get movies up due to working through the coax line.
    Everyone needs to call into TiVo to put the pressure on.
    (877) 289-8486 CALL!!!

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That’s not how it works at all! Hulu and Disney+ are two selected apps, even if you pay for their subscriptions as a bundle. Second TiVo doesn’t develop the apps, they just host them. Disney would need to develop the app. But they wont because TiVo is using an old app platform that no one else uses anymore.

FYI if you want to switch a Stream 4K, or some other streaming stick device, to hard wired it can be done. You can get a ethernet adapter for any of them and a cheap ethernet switch, then put your TiVo into bridge mode.

osu1991 likes this.
  14. BuckosDaddy

BuckosDaddy New Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Yeah I get it that Hulu and Disney+ are two separate apps. C’mon! But TiVo has Disney+ with their new streaming device so there is a contract of some kind with TiVo and Disney already in place. Not difficult to get their software engineers to tie it in to the TiVo Bolt ir Edge when they must have most of the code already worked out. That’s all. TiVo just needs to know people are wanting it so that’s why everyone needs to call.

15. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They're completely different. The TiVo Stream 4K is an Android TV device, so it has access to any app in the Google Play Store. No need for any contract.

The TiVo DVRs are running an old HTML5 app platform from Opera. It's the same one that was used for Samsung TVs circa 2012. Samsung themselves don't even use it any more. So no new services, like Disney+, are likely to bother coding an app for a dead platform. Even the current apps TiVo has are old versions. Which is why when HBO Go ended TiVo didn't replace it with HBO Max.

Unless TiVo converts their DVRs to Android TV they're unlikely to ever get new apps again. Sorry.

PSU_Sudzi and osu1991 like this.
  16. CommunityMember

May 22, 2020
    Which (converting consumer TiVo's to Android TV) they cannot do due to licensing requirements. Only the MSO TiVo's can use Android TV with a custom launcher (i.e. the TiVo UI via the Operator Tier) . For a company that lives and dies on IP licensing, TiVo is not going to flaunt IP licensing requirements.

17. CommunityMember

May 22, 2020
    If you want to make a real difference, cancel your Disney+ subscription and get a few million of your friends to do so, and when asked why, explain that they do not offer a TiVo app. Disney's primary concern is profits, and only large numbers matter (typical churn is reported to be around 4% every month, so with around 70 million subscribers, in order to make a difference to Disney, you have to show a much larger number of customers cancelling permanently over just the normal monthly churn rate).

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020 at 5:59 AM
  18. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Is the poster saying that Using an app on the EDGE or BOLT will use the coax and not wifi? Thats not how it works, correct. You need internet to stream a service, regardless of the source.

19. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    I'd assumed the poster meant that the EDGE or BOLT would be connected to their internet router over MoCA (network over coax) instead of the WiFi (network over radio). They weren't saying they didn't need an internet connection; they were saying because of hardwired networking over coax they didn't need to worry about interference, or maxing out, with their WiFi from video streaming.