Disk Space

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by cokyq, Feb 16, 2007.

1. cokyq

cokyq New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Dallas/Fort...

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me how to find out how much disk space I have left?

Thanks in advance... cokyq

2. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Turn on suggestions - once you've had a chance to record a bunch, the number of suggestions in the folder acts as kind of a gauge to let you know how much time is available on the HD.

When we get 8.1, the "recently deleted" folder also will serve pretty much the same purpose.

There was a thread around here a LONG time ago about a PC application that a guy here wrote that runs on your PC and connects to your Tivo, gets the information on all of the TV shows stored and does some calculations to get a free space %. You may have to work the search pretty extensively to find it, try using "Free Space Indicator" ot "FSI" and you'll have more to read on the topic than you care to know.

Does anyone else remember (of have?) the program I'm talking about?

3. hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    Since 97% of my recordings is in HD I just keep an eye on how many HD shows I have recorded. I try to watch 4 a day and I seem to keep it around 12-16 so I don't believe I've used half the disk. Of course if you have a 2 hour show you have to "add" an hour, figuring your at 32 hours total.

4. Scopeman

Scopeman 2 x Basic Roamio

Oct 22, 2002
    Central Texas
    Check the "INFO" details on a recorded show - will show the approx amount of disk space it takes up. You would then have to sum up all the shows for an estimate.

This stat (space remaining) would be great to have but is less important now that we have the Recently Deleted folder as you can use that to monitor if your disk gets full by putting a large HD show (3hrs) in that folder. If it disappears then you have <3hrs left for HD recording.

5. lawilson2

lawilson2 New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Chicago

Advertisements

I disagree with it being less important. If the Motorola box can at least show the % of space left, there is no feasible reason why the Tivo with it's higher subscription and box price can't. It is important to people who want to monitor at a glance, not calculating the amount deleted from a folder.

6. TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    TiVo's hard drive usually doesn't have much free space; it'll fill it up with Suggestions (unless you turn them off).

So, a "Free Space Indicator" might report something like 1GB free, but most of the space is filled up with Suggestions

Maybe a pretty little pie chart that shows your full drive, how much is scheduled recordings, how much is suggestions, how much is in Deleted, and how much is unused? That would be pretty

7. Ivomir

Ivomir New Member

Apr 5, 2006
    I noticed this after getting the 8.1 update. Is that a new feature? I don't remember seeing it with 8.01c.

Ivo

8. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    How will your behaviour change based upon this information?

9. srea

srea New Member

Oct 13, 2000
    St....
    Yes. v8.1 added the disk space usage when you get INFO. The S2 v8.1 had it.

10. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I don't like to record suggestions, so that won't work for me. I always used the Recently Deleted Folder as my guide. Really miss it on the S3, and am looking forward to the 8.1 update.

I remember (and have) that program. I'm at work, but when I get home, I'll look up the name. But it doesn't work on the S3. I asked the author, and he said something about some changes they made "broke" it on the S3. Still works on my S2! It's short & sweet; a simple pie chart of usage (in addition to a spreadsheet detailing the info).

Cool! I missed that on the S3.

How much remaining Free Space I have gives me a comfort level with my recorded shows. Do I need to watch some NOW? Or am I ok for a few days? 50% with only a couple of shows recording tomorrow? I can breathe easy (and do something other than watch TV :) ). 80% with several HD shows to record? I better watch a few and clear some space. Right now, I do what hookbill does--add up my shows, guesstimate the usage. It works fairly well (I think). I've never lost a show. Yet.

I tend to only record what I want to watch. I don't record much, if any, filler shows. So having a show drop off unwatched is a real PITR. Knowing how much space I have left is a nice feature. This is one of the few things my SA8300HD does that a TiVo doesn't. It has a simple "what percent of your HD is used" screen. I have never understood why TiVo doesn't. And yes, I know about all the workarounds; heck, I use 'em! :D But that still doesn't mean they couldn't offer a simple FSI. :confused:

11. cokyq

cokyq New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Dallas/Fort...
    Thanks everyone for your comments.

My Sony HDD500 has 2 drives and you can go to the System Diagnostics screen and get a % disk free. Like astrohip said, having this information just gives a comfort level, and can prompt me to make sure I watch a show or at least flag it as "keep until I delete" thus make sure I don't miss it.

Certainly not a major issue, but IMHO one of those nice to have!

12. cokyq

cokyq New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Dallas/Fort...
    Funny note...

Now when I wake up in the morning, or come home after being away, I feel like a child waiting for Santa Claus, have to turn on the TV and see if Santa TIVO left me some goodies!!!

Guess I have not been very good... no 8.1 update yet!

13. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    Why not set the "Save Until I Delete" flag for shows you don't want to disappear unexpectedly?

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It shows I've used 2% of disk space with an hour long HD show on NBC that used 7 GB. I have a 500GB drive. That doesn't sound quite right. I can't say I've ever used the info button more than a few times in the Now Playaing list. I really don't need a usage indicator since the TiVo automatically deletes the old things. If it's something I need to save or haven't watched yet I can change the delete date and it goes to the end of the queue for deletion. Now when I had my HiPix cards for HD recording in 2001-2004 I needed to know how much space I had since I had to delete items myself or change hardrives. But that was basically a digital vcr which needs a space remaining indicator. A TiVo doesn't.

15. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I rarely record filler shows. I record shows I intend to watch. And most of those are series where I watch each episode (Survivor, 24, LOST, etc). Pretty much *everything* I record is SUID eligible (although I never use that setting). I am usually pretty good about keeping up, and only tend to have a dozen or less shows stacked up. But if I go out of town, or for whatever reason fall a few days behind, I can easily hit 20+ shows. In the summer, no biggie. Sweeps month, where every network is blasting us with watchables, and I need to keep up. So the comfort level that the Recently Deleted gave me will be a welcome return.

I am going to buy a 750GB drive in the next couple months, unless TiVo releases their eSATA upgrade. That will do more for my comfort level than the RD folder :D

(Here is an example of why I get nervous: I am recording Season 3 of 24 from A&E. I missed that season, and they are showing one episode a day. So far I have 7 episodes recorded. I will not be able to watch them for a few more days (when there will be even *more* episodes stacked up). Obviously, to lose even a single recording blows my ability to watch the season. So how much room do I have left? Should I be worried? I have no idea. FSI would solve this. So will the return of the RD folder.)

Oh, to actually answer your question, since using SUID can affect future recordings (TiVo will actually not record certain shows if it predicts it will run out of space), I don't like to use it. I just work (work?) a little harder at keeping up :D

16. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    I hear ya, astrohip. In time, *everything* would be SUID, and there's be no room for new stuff.

I'm the same way, and found that this sort of TV watching can introduce a bit of anxiety as a result. I tried to keep a watchful eye, always afraid of what show might go away one day. When things disappear before I have a chance to just scan through them, I get upset.

My last generation of TiVos, I upgraded to 160 GB drives, installed TiVoWeb, and monitored disk usage as best I could.

With the new S3 I installed a 750 GB drive, right from the get go (!) precisely so I wouldn't have to be so damn mindful of disk usage all of the time. For now I'm just letting it fill up to the gills with Suggestions (which I don't even watch, really) and when/if that list started to dwindle I'd know I'm in trouble.

It sure would be nice for TiVo to have just presented a "total available space" gauge/display -- even as a hidden backdoor. How long has this discussion been going on? Clearly it's something we'd like, they should throw us a bone.

I think they've chosen to keep the user in the dark so they can otherwise fill the box up, trojan-horse style, with advertisments/promotions and what not. Lull us into complacency, so to speak, fit to "trust TiVo's algorithm."

It's silly.

17. gwsat

gwsat Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Oklahoma City
    I agree. Having TiVo again after suffering with Cox furnished SA boxes and the execrable SARA software for nearly three years has been a delight. Further, TiVo actually sent me the 8.1 software yesterday. Life is good! :)

18. Scopeman

Scopeman 2 x Basic Roamio

Oct 22, 2002
    Central Texas
    The recently deleted items folder gives you a simple way to monitor if your system is filled/filling. I typically watch only 1hr HD shows (dramas, etc) so the # of shows in my recently deleted items folder is a MINIMUM amount of HD space I have left open.

I just glance at the count of shows in that folder and I know right away if the # has gone up (more space available) or gone down (drive is full and is deleting shows from this folder for new space as needed).

If each 1hr HD show is approx 3% of the drive space then w/o any activating extra tricks, secrets codes, hacks, etc I can look at that folder and say "Wow, 4 shows in there when it used to be 10 shows, I guess I am down to about 12% drive space open when I used be have 30% open space."

Not really rocket science.

So yes - CLEARLY having the recently deleted folder provides a much better tool have we have historically had for estimating open drive space. And having this better tool DOES reduce an sense of urgency for an actual display of estimated open drive space.

19. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    I've read that this isn't always the case with "Recently Deleted" -- at least, not as much as it would be with "Suggestions."

I've read that the Recently Deleted folder will empty itself eventually, not just when space is needed.

And so a lengthy list of "Recent Deletions" might tell you that you have plenty of space... but a dwindling list might not necessarily mean the opposite.

As a result of that info, I'm using my Suggestions folder as a gauge instead. YMMV.

20. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    TivoPlayList
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=293241

Requires Tivo2Go to be enabled on S3 before it would work though. (It uses the https interface to get info from the box)