Disk space usage Q - Romaio vs Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by pldoolittle, Apr 30, 2018.

1. pldoolittle

pldoolittle Tivo'ing since 2001

May 2, 2002
    I've having disk space issues and I don't understand why. Our 4T Romaio has never ticked above 60%. Our 4T Bolt, with the same seasons passes, filled up 500Gb quickly and we had to start culling. First less watched shows, the # episodes retained. It's been enough of a problem that I've been researching HDD upgrade options for the Bolt. I've always assumed it was because the Romaio was >1T, but it was purchased several years ago and I never checked. But today while downgrading the Bolt from Hydra UI, I was very surprised to noticed that the Romaio is only 500Gb. It NEVER has space issues, even with 52 episodes of one show laying around. Meanwhile, the Bolt has half fewer seasons passes (50 vs 42)and is constantly running out of space.

Is there a default quality setting I'm missing? If so, I would expect the Romaio to fill up first as it's display supports 1080P and the Bolt TV only supports 720P. Does Hydra and/or the Bolt use a different encoding?

Tivo Romaio
    softwareVersion 20.7.4.RC29-846-6-846
    userDiskSize 442822352 (422.31 GB)
    userDiskUsed 253337600 (57.21%)

Tivo Bolt
    softwareVersion 20.7.4.RC29-USC-11-849 (after downgrade)
    userDiskSize 446222032 (425.55 GB)
    userDiskUsed 4802560 ( 1.08%)

Millsan330 likes this.
  2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    First, I'm not sure what "running out of space" means.

Second, space used by a program depends on its bit rate. It's why some people like SD programs. All TiVo boxes since Series 4 (Premiere) use the same encoding. If you check a program, then hit Info when possible, scroll down to see the disk space used.

You might check your 1P settings. In the 1P manager defaults, check the Keep at Most. I set mine to All since I dislike yellow dots. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but others can jump in to help.

That's Settings & Messages, User Preferences, OnePass & Recording Options. Just compare the two boxes.

pldoolittle likes this.
  3. pldoolittle

May 2, 2002
    My apologies for not being clear.
    Running out of disk space = Capacity gauge at 90%+, almost no suggestions recorded, programs not recorded, etc.

I full understand SD vs HD and the associated bit rate. Perhaps a little more background is needed. Prior to the Bolt we kept the same exact seasons passes on both, cloned back and forth via the Tivo Website. The only difference was the sort order, which placed hers first on one (Premiere) and mine first on the other (Romaio). That worked for years, with the only issue being tuner conflicts on the Premiere DT. That tuner conflict is what drove the decision to buy a 4T Bolt.

When we got the Bolt, I cloned the Season Passes from the Premiere DT. There SHOULD have been no capacity issues post-upgrade. When we started having space issues, that's when I started deleting my stuff from the Bolt. I just assumed the older units were 1T and the new (on sale) Bolt was 500Gb, a mistake that would need to be remedied with an HDD upgrade. But today I realized that they are the same, which is very puzzling.

I'll check everything again. But as I mentioned, the Romaio is carrying 95Gb of dead weight that the Bolt doesn't have, and it STILL isn't having space issues.

Tivo_Ted: I'm still looking for seasons pass labeling/grouping/ class prioritization TiVo. And cross device scheduling.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    For that I would check History. Only time I see no entry is when a transferred program is killed off. Good luck.

pldoolittle likes this.
  5. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    The only way being 'full' would prevent a recording, would be if KUID (Keep Until: I Delete) were used excessively. I mention that just in the off chance that when copying season passes over, or in an attempt to prevent shows from being deleted during what appeared to be a space crisis, you started employing KUID regularly - as that actually makes the problem worse.

It's a long shot, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    If I recall correctly, when I transferred Season Passes to my Bolt using TiVo Online, certain settings within the passes were changed, and I had to go 1-by-1 to make sure that everything was set as before. You might want to check them.

jrtroo and pldoolittle like this.
  7. pldoolittle

May 2, 2002
    I appreciate all ideas. Actually I don't use KUID at all, as I have never needed to. That said, perhaps "full" is a poor description. I include stuff (other than suggestions) getting deleted before I wanted it to be deleted in my definition of "full". For example, if I had 5 episodes of Law and Order and #1 gets bumped to record #6 because there was no free space or suggestions to delete.

I'm just baffled why two devices with the same seasons passes and same HDD would be so different in terms of disk usage. Especially when the one that's not having issues one "keep all" show (52 eps, 95gb) that the struggling one does not. If this were reversed, it would make sense. In any case, I've loaded KMTTG and will compare files device to device more closely and see if I can find a difference.

Excellent point, will check that. What about KMTTG? I just downgraded the Bolt and restored the passes via KMTTG

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Apples to Apples with identical season passes and settings. My Bolts have behaved identical to the Roamios I've owned.

My One Passes are typically set to keep 5 to 10 episodes. With some just keeping two episodes and some keeping 25 episodes. And with no One Passes ever set to KUID.

pldoolittle likes this.
  9. May 1, 2018 #9 of 14
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Since you have KMTTG, use it to look at the shows recorded on each and you should be able to tell what's consuming more space on the Bolt versus the Roamio.

Scott

pldoolittle likes this.
  10. pldoolittle

May 2, 2002
    That's the plan. Unfortunately, that thought didn't occur until mid downgrade so I have so "before" data. But at least I have a tool going forward.

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Did history say that was the reason the show was deleted or was that OnePass set to only keep 5 episodes?

12. pldoolittle

May 2, 2002
    It was just an example, and probably not a good one.

krkaufman likes this.
  13. Millsan330

Millsan330 New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    I'm having the exact same issue. My recording capacity is always at 100% Full. I never had this issue with my previous Tivo Premiere.

14. pldoolittle

May 2, 2002
    Since the downgrade my used space has yet to rise above 18%. The only change I made was to downgrade to TE3

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk