DishNetwork Starz Preview on CHannels 28X - how to set up Recordings

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Bob TeaTow, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Bob TeaTow

Bob TeaTow Advanced TivoNut

Mar 12, 2002
    Westchester, NY

Advertisements

What's the easiest way to record some movies from the Starz free-view pre-view on DishNetwork? When I checked this morning I found the free Starz channels were around 285 - but my SA TIVO doesn't know about those. It only knows about the regular Starz channel numbers. When I bring those up my Dish Receiver locks up into the up/down popup trap....

(Yes, I tried searching this board - sorry if I missed this from a FAQ - a pointer would be appreciated...)

2. sheilabriggs

sheilabriggs New Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I'm not sure this will work since my recording hasn't started yet. First get program info--Messages & Settings>Settings>Channels>Channel List. Check what Starz channels you want to receive (they are 350-356 and make a note of them and their order. You may need to do a Tivo program update (Messages & Settings>Settings>Phone & Network). You won't be able to record programs on channel 350-356 but now you know how they correspond to the free Dish preview channels, starting at 285, you can set up the recording manually. For example, to record "Boogeyman" I noted that Starz Edge (regular Dish 352) = free Dish preview 288 and the start and end times. I pressed 288 on the Tivo remote to go to that channel and then went into Pick Programs to Record>Record by Time or Channel>Manually Record Time?Channel. 288 was already chosen as the channel, so I just add to input the start and stop times. In the "To Do List" it shows up as a manual recording on 288 SAt. Remember to uncheck the Starz channels in Settings if you don't subscribe after this weekend, since landing on an unsubscribed channel in Dish means that you need to find your Satellite remote to change channel since your Tivo remote will probably not work.

3. sheilabriggs

sheilabriggs New Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I recorded "Boogeyman" on free Starz through the method I suggested above without any problems.

4. Grimm1

Grimm1 Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Stanton, CA
    Yeah that method works...it's just that you end up with a bunch of untitled recordings.

5. Bob TeaTow

Bob TeaTow Advanced TivoNut

Mar 12, 2002
    Westchester, NY

Advertisements

Go to Manually Record, slide over to the channel numbers and punch in the channel number you want, Tivo will add a new channel slot, if the channel number is not in the official Tivo/Tribune channel list.