Dish OTA reception vs. Tivo OTA reception?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by archer75, Mar 14, 2011.

1. archer75

archer75 New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Gresham, OR

Advertisements

So i'm looking at ordering a refurb premiere for OTA channels. I have heard of the issues with tuning these channels and before I order one i'm wondering if anyone has used OTA on a Dish VIP622 or 722 receiver and if you can compare the signal strength number you got on the dish box with how well the channel came in on the tivo box?

That will give me some idea of what I could expect on the tivo. I'd hate to go ahead and order it, get it and find out it can't tune my channels and then have to send it back.

2. archer75

archer75 New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Gresham, OR
    Well I have been searching the forums here as well as google and could only find two reports of Dish customers who owned a VIP722 and then switched to Tivo OTA. Both reports were positive and stated the Tivo tuners felt stronger than the one in the dish receiver.

I'm just hoping for some more feedback before I pull the trigger.

3. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    My guess is you should have posted in the TiVo Discussion forum rather than in the Premiere forum.

More likely to run into people who have DISH equipment there.

4. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I have no experience with Dish equipment, but I'm OTA only, and my impression is that the OTA reception of the TiVo Premiere is quite good.

5. blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...

Advertisements

I'm also using a Premiere and TivoHD OTA. Reception solid on both - I'm about 33 miles from the broadcast towers using an attic-mounted antenna.

I believe there IS a 30-day return policy so you would have some time to try it out.

6. archer75

archer75 New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Gresham, OR
    I'm only 18 miles from the towers. Problem is i'm in a little bit of a valley which makes reception at my house flakey. Even for cell phones.
    And i'm just barely clearing the house next to me for line of site. But there are trees in the distance and the land is hilly between me and the towers.

I have a huge honking antenna in my attic suitable for pulling in channels 100 miles away. But that by itself won't work. So I also added a preamp/amp on the line and it works. I get good solid reception on my Dish receiver. However it's almost unwatchable when using my HDhomerun on my HTPC. So tuners make a difference.
    If the Premiere works better than my dish box for OTA then I have nothing to worry about. However if it's even just a little bit weaker than it's not going to work.
    Ultimately the only way to know is to order a box and see. I'd just hate to lose money by paying to ship it back if it doesn't. So i'm trying to gather as much info as possible before I make a decision.

7. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    If your signal is good with the Dish receiver I would say the Tivo is worth a shot. I would also check the connections and the line going to the HD Home Run something might not be right. That fact that you're not getting break up in your picture with the Dish receiver indicates you are getting a strong signal and no multipath problems.

8. archer75

archer75 New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Gresham, OR
    I use the same antenna for the HDhomerun. Same line. I unplug it from the dish box and plug it in to the unit. Oh, it can tune channels. They just pixelate a lot. Could be that it's a weaker tuner than the dish. Could be a firmware issue. Not a big deal as I don't plan on using it anymore. Was just doing some tests with it.

9. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I have a 722, 722K (2 OTA tuners in one module), and a TiVo S3 (648 w/OLED). First, I've read plenty on the forums that the 722/K' OTA tuners are superior to the old 622. I can tell you that among my connected boxes, the 722, 722K, and TiVo S3, the OTA tuners perform almost equally as well. The Dish OTA seems to pull in a few fringe channels that the TiVo S3 doesn't, but I can't say the S3 tuner is at all any less than the Dish. I'll call them EQAULLY good.

Now, the Premiere OTA tuner has been reported on this forum to be inferior to the S3, HD, and HDXL. SAD! There are A LOT of posts about this problem, especially for those upgraded from the S3 series to the Premier and can no longer get channels they used to get with their old S3 series.

However, you may be in an area where the Premier OTA tuner will perform just fine. Or you may be in area where you may be sorry your switched to the Premiere. You are going to have to do some research at antennnaweb dot org. or other similar site to see what challenges your location may bring. Also, use a good antenna if you are in a challenging area, as that will have a significant effect with even the best OTA tuner.

Good luck.

10. indychris

indychris New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Well, I should have been one of them, but my experience was just the opposite. Numbers may not be comparable, but my reception via the Premiere tuner is vastly inferior to both my previous 722 AND my EytTV One tuners. I ended up having to buy a better antenna in order to get the same stations that I was getting perfectly before with my 722.

11. StevesWeb

StevesWeb Grumpy Old Geek

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...
    I had a Dish VIP622 and the OTA performance of both my TiVo HD and Premiere were always better than the Dish DVR. On the Dish product there was jitter and intermittent decode failures while either TiVo would be fine.

12. archer75

archer75 New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Gresham, OR
    Well I finally ordered a Tivo off of woot and i'll finally put my antenna to the test and let you know how it goes.

13. timatkn

timatkn Member

Oct 1, 2010
    I switched form a Dish VIP722 to a premiere last fall. Some channels were better on the premiere some were better on dish. Overall I get more channels OTA now than I did with the Dish. I like the TIVO way better.

THe thing I hated on the DISH722 was if an OTA channel lost signal, poor quality etc... it would lose reception or not record on all of the OTA channels. Didn't happen a lot but was annoying when it did.

T