Dish Network ?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by justin99, Aug 29, 2007.

1. justin99

justin99 New Member

Sep 15, 2006

Advertisements

I am having dish installed as we speak. I had regular cable, not digital, going to my Tivo Series 2 before. I am moving my tivo to my bedroom and having my dish HD receiver in my livingroom where the tivo was. My question is..... can i still use my Tivo in my bedroom with the line coming from one of the tuners on the dish receiver? I am pretty sure it will work I am just concerned about having 2 different guides and how all that will work, please give me some insight on how to make this work.

2. swinca

swinca Menace to society

Jun 19, 2003
    Jaw-ja y'all
    It will be pretty much the same as with cable. You can use the Tivo remote to control the Tivo menu, or the Dish remote to control the Dish Menu. I have the Dish. I use my Series 2 on the TV in the bedroom with the Dish's non-HD receiver. . My other TVs use the Dish HD DVR. Everything works just fine.

3. justin99

justin99 New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Ok good. The only difference is that I am not putting a dish receiver in the bedroom. I am just using 1 of the tuners from the dual tuner in the living room.

4. swinca

swinca Menace to society

Jun 19, 2003
    Jaw-ja y'all
    I don't know if that will work. I think you will need to get one of the non-HD receivers to make your Tivo work. The Dish HD receiver uses radio frequency to control the 2nd TV tuner. The Tivo remote won't work with that.

5. justin99

justin99 New Member

Sep 15, 2006

Advertisements

That is my concern. I guess I can get another receiver but I didnt want too.

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    May I be so bold to point out that this particular forum is entitled "DirecTV Receiver with TiVo". Which of late either means the combination DirecTV receiver with TiVo or the use of a standalone TiVo with a regular DirecTV receiver. This then means that this discussion is more appropriate in the TiVo Help Center forum.

The folks on the DBSTalk Dish Forum, should also be able to help.

7. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    +1 - the OP is not using Directv or a Directv receiver with Tivo.

8. Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    he will be flogged ;) dont worry the hit squad is on the way. should we use the chinese water torture or bamboo under the fingernails. your choice. you and jim decide on this one :D

9. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Sheesh, I try to be gentle and still get jumped on. :)

Just a gentle push in the right direction. Afterall, if people would just look to see what the descriptions are for the different forums, they would get answers more quickly. And, not worry about the "hit squad". :D

10. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Agreed, JIm.

There's nothing wrong with pointing out to people that a more appropriately placed thread would get more responders who are familiar with the topic. I, for one, have never had Dish Network and know nothing about its receivers.

11. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    Not to jump on Jim but,

Didn't the mod (Mike) tell all of us regulars to "chill" on the newbies?

Specifically:

Stop telling people to use the search button.
    Either provide an answer or not post at all?

Yes, the OP posted in the wrong thread. I get that. But, somebody answered them ANYWAY, and did not chastise them in the process. AFTER the answer was given, JS (and yes he was gentle) comes in with his post.

I'm sorry, but i'm just stating the facts.

12. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC
    I think he did Provide an answer. And it seems that the OP has posted other "issues" he has had with his Tivo in the exact forum that Jim stated in his answer. And it is true that the user would get more responses in one of the other fourms. So I don't see where Jim's answer falls under either of the reasons you gave for him to not post. Just because the answer suggests that another forum would provide you with more answers then the one you posted in, I don't see where that is wrong - and Jim did it very nicely. Now had someone posted with a "why the h$%^ did you post in a DTV with Tivo forum you id*&$...." then yes I can see where that would fall under the do not post at all.

13. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I originally wasn't going to reply to the original thread, but decided that pointing out that there are other forums, both here and elsewhere, where answers are available was a good idea for future newbies. I think the moderators will agree with me that they don't want questions asked in the wrong forums. It just makes it more difficult for the users to find what they need, unless they do a search. This thread is a perfect example, Would another newbie really go to a DirecTV labeled forum for answers about using an SA TiVo with a Dish receiver?

I've been on other forums which are heavily moderated by moving threads to the proper forum when incorrectly posted.

14. Billy Bob Boy

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    Jim had us all fooled but not me. He was joking about being joked at for the joke :confused: :confused: :D :D Thank heavens for the :D Or no one would no when no one is Joking about nothing :confused:

15. Billy Bob Boy

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    Its Ok jim I was joking :D Or was i! We all know you hate newbies and want to have them fried up with some farber beans and a nice quianti(how the heck do you spell this stupid beverage)! :eek: :D :D No seriously redirecting someone to a different forum where they would get better help is cool ;) Or Is It :confused: :D

16. Billy Bob Boy

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    All I have to say to this post is. Why the &&^%$#%^&** :D :D :D :D :D :D :eek:

17. Billy Bob Boy

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    This was a Joke :D

Or was it :eek: :D :D

It WAS :D

Perhaps not :confused: :

18. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I have nothing against newbies. Afterall I was one once. And I remember doing the "search" thing way too often back in the day. (When was that again? Has it been almost 6 years?) I reformed and try to nudge people using different methods. :)

It is still frustrating to see a new question that could have been answered by a simple search or by reading the stickies and FAQs.

19. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006

Fava beans and a nice Chianti

20. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    However, I think the Happy Hour should be open game for any topic, including Dish and DirecTV non-TiVo receiver talk...

Hell, if you see all the useless talk there (and I am definitely a happy participant in most of the useless talk), there's certainly room for any Dish Network experiences that people want to share...