Dish Network Work Around To Record in Hi Def

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by redwoods7, Mar 2, 2011.

1. redwoods7

redwoods7 New Member

Mar 1, 2011

Advertisements

Hi, I've searched the forums and couldn't find a answer on point, so I thought I'd post. Here's my story:

1. I'm a longtime Tivo user, love the interface, and would like to stick with it;

2. Recently purchased the Premiere;

3. Then..... purchased Dish Network plan, my mistake, after reading about "Series 2" compatibility I thought I could make it work, I was of course wrong;

4. I want to keep keep the TiVo interface, and have sold the Premier and picked up a used Series 2 just so I can hook up to the Satellite receiver;

5. With the series 2 I understand I can watch the Hi Def channels, but *can't* record in Hi Def (correct??)

6. My question, is there a work-around where I can somehow record in Hi Def and utilize the Tivo interface?

For example, I have the DISH ViP 211k Sat. Receiver, which I understand I can turn into a DVR by adding an external hard drive. Can I somehow record the shows on this the Dish Network DVR, and *watch* them through the Tivo, etc. ??

I know I could ditch the Tivo and just use the Dish DVR, but I really do not want to do this.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!!

2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    There is no way to store HD programming on a Tivo using Dish network. You can record HD programming, but it will be stored in SD. You also can't change the channel while Tivo is recording, unless you have a second receiver.

3. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    Incorrect - the series 2 does not have any hardware to decode a digital incoming signal. It must be analog.

4. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    You can watch the high def channels on a series 2 box but they'll be in Standard def. I did that for a while with a cable box and it worked well but you'll take a hit in quality.

You can connect the box to the tivo via s-video and set the box to output widescreen. The Tivo will "squeeze" the widescreen image to 4X3 but you can fix that by setting the TV to wide which will unqueeze back to widescreen.

If you record with the Tivo set to Best Quality, you may easily find this acceptable. But, keep in mind you'll only be able to record one channel at a time.

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.

Advertisements

You need to pick two, HD, TiVo, or Dishnetwork.

If you want to DVR in HD you need to use either a Dishnework HD-DVR, or a Hauppauge HD-DVR on a computer.

If you want TiVo and Dishnetwork, you need to accept that you will be using an SD TiVo, which passes only the SD signal from the Dishnetwork box, but it can be from HD channels.

6. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    You can't necessarily even pick two. Dish Network (and U-Verse) bit-starve HD programming so much that it would be more accurate to call it HD-lite once the programming reaches consumers.:mad:

So yes, you cannot record Dish Network's HD-lite with a Series 3 or Series 4 Tivo.