Dish Network + HD announcement

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by greg_burns, Jan 2, 2006.

1. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...

Advertisements

Tried to cancel my Dish account tonight (8 year customer, but cable internet + satelite was just wearing me down). Anyways, the account rep mentioned a big change coming end of Mar 2006 regarding Dish's HD programming/hardware. Anybody know what this may be?

I currently have an older Dish 500 dish (and no HD). I asked if I wouldn't need a new dish installed for HD and she said not with the coming changes. :confused: That peaked my interest enough to stay subscribed a couple more months.

I also asked if the change was a move to MPEG4. She said their latest HD receiver already uses MPEG4. Did not know that.

Anybody have info, or point me to a more appropriate forum?

2. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Phoenix,AZ
    She was wrong, the only shipping box that supports mpeg4 is the ViP211 or 411. The only difference between the two is the 211 has ethernet and the 411 has been discontinued (only out a few weeks). The guess is the ethernet port will be used to stream video off of a future mpeg4 DVR. As of now the ethernet port does nothing.

Its expected that ESPN2HD and 5 extra voom hd channels will be added to 61.5 and 129 in the next few days and be in mpeg2. My guess is they will be offering NY and LA HD locals in mpeg4 in March.

If you wanted Voom and ESPN2 you would need to replaced your Dish500 with a Dish1000 that picks up 110/119/129 The rest of the HD channels are on 110 and can be picked up with the Dish500 (picks up 110/119).

There is rumor of an HD cablecard tivo coming out this year. If you want an HD tivo cable is probably your best bet. Its supposed to work with digital over the air stations as well.

If you don't care about Voom or ESPN2HD you wouldn't need anything other than a new receiver to upgrade to HD. You proably know already but there is no way to get a tivo to record the hd channels in hd quality but you can record them in the same quality as you get now. Currently Dish network does not do local hd at all, if you wanted your locals in HD you would need an antenna, the nice thing is they intergrate into the guide the same way as the regular dish local channels. Your cable system might carry your locals in hd.

3. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Thanks for the info.