dish and ota location/directv vs. installer

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Watrat, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Watrat

Watrat New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Watertown,...
    Good evening,
    Still seething about my non install today and am realizing I should have called someone earlier when installer was here instead of just relying on his eyeballing the satellite and its location with possible branches. Was wondering for some advice from other peoples' experiences.
    The installer said I have 5 days to call in and reschedule an appointment or the order would get canceled. I asked who to call and he said directv and gave me their number. When I called the number it goes back to his local company. Should I call them back or call directv and explain to them the situation and how the guy wouldn't do the install and suggested I go to comcast? He just was complaining about how busy he was that day and how he was doing me a favor and saving me money. Guess I feel for it and the goodness of some people.
    One thing the guy said was that they can't put the ota anywhere near the dish and would have to attach it to my brick wall. From pictures I thought I had seen it looked like they were mounted together? Can the antenna have issues with line of sight too?

Thanks

2. morgantown

morgantown DTV + Tvio = ;-)

Mar 29, 2005
    Wild...
    Sometimes DTV will simply say if the installer can't do it then "that's it." Game over. I'd call the local back for a second try. As long as they are not lazy (and some really are), most want to get paid for the install. As far as the OTA, it is not nearly as sensitive as the DTV dish.

Try agin. You can always go to cable if you really "have" to due to location. Depending on how close/far you are to the local broadcast towers you might be able to get away with an attic or indoor OTA antenae. The OTA's supplied by DTV are usually of poor quality anyway.

3. Watrat

Watrat New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Watertown,...

Is this usually the case? I was just looking for something to get me through to the mpeg 4 dvr comes out. Am told I am fairly close to the towers...Does it matter which direction they are facing..as it does the dish?

Thanks

Tom

4. morgantown

morgantown DTV + Tvio = ;-)

Mar 29, 2005
    Wild...
    The dish is about 100x more sensitive directionaly than a OTA antenea. http://www.antennaweb.org can let you know how your OTA signal quality is via entering your zip code. That should give you a pretty good indication of what you need. Having the OTA antennae pointed in the direction of the signal(s) you want is also good.

5. Watrat

Watrat New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Watertown,...

Seems the ones I care about I am within 5 miles of each. ...