discovery plus network - starting 1/4/2021

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DouglasPHill, Dec 21, 2020.

1. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Cynical old guy

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO

Advertisements

So wife has been waiting for the Magnolia network to launch. I read something about it and the discovery plus network. So for $5 or $7 you can get all of the DIY HGTV etc etc. But I then read something causing me to pause, something about "no linear programming". What the heck does that mean? Well, it looks like the live feed from those channels will not be on discovery plus.
    ???? Why would I subscribe to a service of all of the channels I want to watch, but only historically speaking?

I'm sure I read it wrong. If anyone can enlighten me, I would appreciate it.
    ty

2. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    I don't think you read it wrong -- it's a streaming service that contains programming from the various Discovery-owned networks, available on-demand (and without commercials).

AMC has a similar service called AMC+, and one of the attractions there is that they make some of their programming available for streaming days before it airs on one of their linear networks. Not sure if that's going to be the case with Discovery+ or not.

3. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm guessing that the same programming you see on the "live" channels will be on the streaming service, probably same day or next day. So if the umpteenth Real Estate show premieres on HGTV (I kid with my wife that it's the Real Estate channel) then I'd expect it to premiere on the streaming channel that day or the next. That's similar to what happens on HBO Max.

4. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    It’s an archive service. Current seasons of shows won’t appear until after their seasonal run on the linear channels is over

5. DouglasPHill

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO

Advertisements

Thanks for the info. What would have been a sign me up will now be wait and see.

6. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    I was looking at my TV Premiere Calendar and noticed around 30+ shows from Discovery+ starting Jan 4. I just thought they were going to have their archive of shows plus one or two originals but the amount of new content surprised me. Here are some that stood out to me:
    • BattleBots: The Bounty Hunters
    • Monster Garage (new season)
    • Race Across the World (not sure if they will be new or the ones from BBC)

7. Jan 4, 2021 #7 of 26
    lambertman

lambertman Chris Lambert, man

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    I've activated my six free months through Verizon. There are a couple D+ Originals I'm interested in and a couple I believe my wife will like, but it surely won't be enough to justify a monthly subscription afterwards... especially since as cable folks, we already have access to the back library content through each of the channels' "Go" apps* and rarely use them.

*That doesn't apply to the A&E Networks, whose library reality shows are here as well (but I don't desire them), or the space-wasting shortform dross from The Dodo, PopSugar, Now This.

The BBC nature shows may be a selling point; I've seen many if not all.

EDIT: just realized that you won't be able to access specific episodes of (original) House Hunters and HH International; they're going to air as live channels only starting 1/29. So for that show, D+ is less functional than HGTV Go.

I'll answer questions if you got 'em for some amount of time. :D

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  8. Jan 4, 2021 #8 of 26
    Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    I read that they have channels that stream 24/7. Is each channel just a 24/7 stream of one show or do they mix the shows together to make a stream that resembles something that would have aired live? Do they have a guide that states what episode is playing? Do the streams have commercials? I'm envisioning it to be like Pluto TV, is this correct?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  9. Jan 4, 2021 #9 of 26
    Blerman

Blerman New Member

Nov 29, 2015

10. lambertman

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    It's kind of Pluto-esque, yes. It looks like each show that gets this treatment will have its own 24/7 channel. No guides yet; on a whim, I checked and the same treatment goes for 90 Day Fiance. (Also starting 1/29.)

11. Blerman

Blerman New Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Will a Discovery+ APP be added to TIVO?

12. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Also, do they have season 6 of Jade Fever? It aired on Discovery Canada and I've seen seasons 1 - 5 using Amazon Prime but they don't have season 6 which is locked on the Discovery Canada's website.

13. lambertman

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    I'm not seeing any seasons of that show.

14. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    My mom has been talking about Discovery+ for like two months now. At Xmas, she kept asking me questions about it. I Googled and told her what I found. She then continued asking me about it. I asked her to stop asking me about it until January 4. That I'll be able to tell her everything then. Well, she just called, and guess what she wanted. :)

I signed up for it and helped them install the app on their Apple TV and get signed in.

15. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Thanks for the responses, I just signed up for 7 day free trial.

16. DouglasPHill

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    I'll hold off, it seems any Magnolia shows on dplus are just teasers with the linear stuff will be on diy.

17. jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    I don’t see the app on the Firestick 4K. Did I miss something?

18. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    their ads say "streaming the next day"

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    like usual, I wish something like this would have play-faster-than-realtime. Though I've now almost seen all of them (via reruns even, and I usually avoid reruns), I might have used something like this to watch the eps of Expedition Unknown I've missed... but only if I can watch faster than realtime.. or see the first 2 seasons of the current Battlebots (I had them on my TiVo and lost them), while being able to watch the non-actual-competition part sped up.

I know it's an edge case for most people, but with podcasts being popular, I think MANY of us listen to those sped up.

This kind of thing is one of the reasons I don't foresee going ONLY streaming anytime soon.. (when cable no longer supports TiVo, then..)

20. tigercat74

tigercat74 Lets go Bengals!!!!!

Aug 7, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    The newest episode of DDD was on the service. It aired on Friday.