Discovery Channel fans check your guide data!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by PopcornGuy, Aug 13, 2007.

1. PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    If you are a fan of Discovery Channel programming, check your guide data starting with 10PM on 8/13 and beyond. Much of the prime time hours are being broadcast in HD, or so it appears. I posted a similar message in TV Show Talk but then thought it might better apply here!

2. singletb

singletb New Member

May 12, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I noticed that Dirty Jobs is being tagged with "HD", however it is not being broadcast on DiscoverHD, so what is the point?

3. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Discovery launches Animal Planet HD, Discovery HD (different from Discovery Theater HD), TLC HD, and The Science Channel HD later this week.

August
    Animal Planet
    Discovery
    TLC
    The Science Channel

September
    Cinemax (MoreMAX)
    HBO (HBO2, HBO Family, HBO Signature)
    History
    Starz (Starz Comedy, Starz Edge, and Starz Kids)
    TBS
    The Weather Channel

October
    CNN

October/November
    Cartoon Network
    CNBC
    FX
    SciFi
    USA Network

December
    Tennis Channel

1Q '07
    ABC Family
    Disney Channel
    Toon Disney
    ESPNews

Dish Network will add the first group this month, and DirecTV will begin adding channels in the second half of September, but they won't be the only ones. You can also expect to see most of these channels on Comcast, FiOS, and other cable providers this year.

4. doormat

doormat Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Vegas
    bkdtv, is that a list of HD Channel launches from the provider or for a particular cable/sat company?

5. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    It's a list of channel launches from the content provider(s). It's not specific to any one cable or satellite company.

6. AGBulls

AGBulls New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Wow. Those are a TON of channels I watch regularly.

Comcast had better add those. Also, does anyone know how to know when to add channels?

In other words, if I start getting Science Channel HD, how do I know with a Tivo?

7. dbenrosen

dbenrosen New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    New Jersey
    You will get a message from your TiVo (Messages & Settings) informing you that there has been a lineup change. You could even get it before the channel is actually available to you. I've had that happen with Cablevision rolling it out over a couple of days.

8. singletb

singletb New Member

May 12, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Wow, hopefully the Tivo sanctioned eSATA comes out in time for all of this addtional new HD content!

9. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    If you have cable good luck on getting these HD channels soon after they are available. I'm still waiting for the NFL Network to come to Charter even though its been available for several years.

10. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Most of those channels are already included with recent contract renewals for their sister SD channels.

The situation with the NFL Network is entirely different. NFL Network is a new network that is now asking about $1 per subscriber. Compare that to the cost of about 3 cents for CNN-HD, which is the increase some cable providers paid with their last CNN carriage extension.

Bandwidth will be the limiting factor when it comes to adding the channels listed above, not carriage cost. Some cable providers have also refused to add certain channels specifically because they were saving their bandwidth for new and upcoming channels they felt were more compelling (i.e. those listed above).

11. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    How long ha sthe NFL network been out? Maybe 1-2 years, but not YEARS! :D

Okay, I'm wrong

NFL Network launched on Nov. 4, 2003

Ducks and hides.. :p

12. drcos

drcos HD where available

Jul 20, 2001
    Venice FL
    Not to be a wet blanket, but where is this information coming from?

SciFi HD would actually be pretty nice, what with the 'last' season of BsG and the new season of Stargate: Atlantis.
    They should also be able to show the repeats of SG1 in HD, I believe.

Now we'll be hit with S..D..V :eek:

13. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    drcos,

It's all from press releases. Check out the AVS Forum if want more specific dates for some channels.

14. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    This is exciting news indeed! I've been waiting patiently for HD versions of FX, SciFi and USA. Once these are available in my area, virtually all of the channels that I record from regularly will be in HD. I really hope Comcast in Chicago picks these up. If not, I also have E*, so this at least helps my chances. :)

15. singletb

singletb New Member

May 12, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    UniversalHD plays the episodes of BsG (and some other SciFi shows) in all of their high def glory.

16. singletb

singletb New Member

May 12, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Oh yeah, FX really needs to go HD. I watch a ton of shows from that one. I noticed that their new show Damages simulcasted in HD on channel 184 for one episode in Chicago. Wish that would continue. Some USA and SciFi shows are broadcast in HD on UniversalHD (207 in Chicago).

17. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    From what I read, TBS HD may only be on satellite for a while. If that is true it will be a shame since they are showing a lot of the MLB playoffs this year.

18. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    As others have pointed out, the NFL is particularly hard-nosed about the very high rates they charge for carrying the NFL Channel. It's very difficult for any carrier to justify the amount they want for a channel which, for the most part, just rebroadcasts other people's work. The production values for the stuff they produce themselves are laughable compared to the big boys, but for some reason they have this wildly inflated vision of themselves and their value.

The thing I find MOST annoying is that they now have several games each season which they produce and broadcast which I won't be able to see because TW doesn't carry them either. But the economics are going to start hurting them soon. No matter how valuable the brand, advertisers pay for eyeballs, not content, and with a small number of viewers comes a small amount of ad revenue. They're going to have to do something to up their viewership if they want to see the traditional big advertising dollars pro ball normally generates.

If it were me running the cablecos and satcos, I'd set it up as a separate $3.95/mo premium channel just to stop the whining and be done with it, but that doesn't seem to be what they want to do.

19. FrodoB

FrodoB Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Middleton, WI
    At least with respect to Charter, NFL Network was offered a spot in the Digital Sports Tier and turned it down because they want to be on Expanded Basic (or so it was reported in the papers here in Madison, where the fact that the Packers/Vikings game last year wasn't available locally was a big deal). They want everyone who gets cable to pay for their channel (with its all of 16 weeks of decent content) year round.

20. AGBulls

AGBulls New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    For those of you in Chicago with Comcast-- does anyone know what happened to InHD and InHD2?

I use to watch Cathedrals of the Game on there. Either I'm nuts, or the channels just disappeared.