Discovery Bar shows channels I don't get

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MychaelP, May 24, 2015.

1. MychaelP

MychaelP Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Is there a way to keep the Discovery Bar from showing channels I don't get? I have updated the channel list so my guide only shows what I get, but the Discovery Bar continues to show me stuff I can't watch. Is there a setting I'm missing? New Roamio OTA one week old.

2. yesno

yesno Active Member

Jun 27, 2003
    Arizona
    TiVo Central screen select ‘Settings & Messages,’ then ‘Settings,’ then ‘Displays,’ then ‘Customize Discovery Bar.’

3. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    it happens with premieres, too. the discovery bar started showing unsubscribed channels and streaming services along the same time onepass was introduced.
    this can help with the frequency, but doesn't eliminate the issue.

4. MychaelP

MychaelP Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Thanks for the answers. Seems it will show things I don't get until Tivo does an update (if they do). I hate seeing all the Asian/Korean/Spanish stations I don't want to watch up there.

Enjoying the new Roamio so far. Onepass needs work it seems, can't even find Other Space on Yahoo Stream for it, yet it says you can manage all the streaming shows with it.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I've been wanting to suggest a special forum or thread for tracking all the various OnePass metadata issues, in the absence of any official TiVo feedback mechanism for addressing OnePass glitches. I posted a bunch to the TiVo Facebook page, and received polite "thank you" responses, along with recommendations to post my OnePass metadata errors to the "feature suggestions" form, but none of the issues I highlighted have yet been corrected. Pretty disappointing.

TiVo needs a feedback & correction mechanism for OnePass metadata similar to what they offer for channel guide issues if they want this integration to be successful.

6. ertyu

ertyu Member

Nov 4, 2003
    It sure is silly. I posted about this earlier. It also puts in content I've given thumbs down, including 3 thumbs down and content no-one would ever want to watch like the guide listings channel.

7. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    For those of you whose Discovery Bar shows unwanted things... do you have suggestions turned on? or off? Do you use thumb ratings for shows? Does the TiVo have a long enough, large enough history to determine what you like? Not just what you dislike... or vice versa.

My Discovery Bar most often shows things from My Shows, both things I've recorded or suggestions my TiVo has recorded for me. I honestly can't recall the last time it showed something from a channel I don't receive, i.e. channels not checked in my Channel List*. Likewise, most of the suggestions seem relevant, and are on channels I receive. I use thumb ratings and record suggestions.

My checked Discovery Bar options are
    Pop on LIve
    Top Picks
    Tivo Suggs
    My Shows

*I've found that having Sport checked _will_ include sporting events on channels I don't receive, like some Spanish language channels, so I unchecked that.

[edit] I also have a bunch of video providers turned off. Those I don't pay for. So no Amazon Prime, no Netflix, no Hulu Plus.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  8. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    So, have you customized as indicated earlier in the thread?

9. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    suggestions off, and using/not using thumb ratings doesn't appear to make any difference (would thumb ratings affect unsubscribed streaming services?).

10. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    You wouldn't think so. TiVo has to use some algorithm and criteria to determine what appears. I am trying to get some clue as to what it is. I know when I first got my Roamio I had tons of junk in the bar, but now, with 123 OnePasses, and lots of :up::thumbsdown: input, a correct channel list, many video providers turned off, choosing options as to what appears in my Discovery Bar, etc, it seems to behave. Do any of these have an effect? All? And what other factors might play into it.

LOL, just as I was typing this, a show, Ripper Street S3E5, appeared in my bar. It isn't currently available, nor have I heard of it, but I can create a OnePass. It is shown as aTop Pick. Maybe I should uncheck that too.

11. WorldBandRadio

WorldBandRadio Active Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Is there a display option to turn the Discovery Bar off completely? It is an annoying waste of screen real estate.

12. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    season 3 is airing on bbca, is the channel part of your lineup?

13. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Interesting. BBCAPH was just added to my channel lineup by my cable company as the HD version just became available. I got a message on my Tivo about the lineup change, etc. It was checked in my channel lineup, but BBCA isn't part of my programming package, so I could tune to it but wasn't authorized to watch it. I unchecked it from my channel list a day or two ago, but it _was_ checked for a couple days.

I think there may be some sort of delay as information percolates through the Tivo infrastructure.

14. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    No. Even if you unplug or lose your internet connection, the space is taken up be an error message.

15. choco

choco Active Member

Nov 3, 2000
    Southern CA
    Initially, I tried to customize the Discovery Bar to turn everything off, thinking that would remove the bar completely. However, the Discovery Bar remained and started showing things from random channels, many that I didn't even receive. So I turned "My Shows" back on in order get the bar to at least display things I watch. Not the best solution, as I would prefer no bar at all, but the lesser of two evils. Even with only "My Shows" checked, the bar will still occasionally display channels I don't receive (not sure what causes it), but for the most part, the settings work.

For reference, I have suggestions turned off and don't use thumbs up/down.

16. ertyu

ertyu Member

Nov 4, 2003
    I have the settings to what I prefer.