Disassembly of Tivo Slide Pro Remote?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Pupster, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Pupster

Pupster New Member

Oct 7, 2015
    Anyone yet have a disassembly/teardown howto for the slide PRO remote? There are plenty of videos for the old slide remote, but I can't find anything for the new slide pro. Reason I need to do this is something broke off inside and it's rattling, and I can't get it out. Remote seems to work just fine otherwise, but I'm OCD about the rattling.

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Looks like you'll need to make one for us! :)

Scott

3. killme

killme Member

May 9, 2004
    Greenville
    Is there still an interest in this?

4. jff6791

jff6791 Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I'm interested. Have one that the IR mode has quit. Can't control TV functions. Can hear something rattling around inside (probably IR emiiter) but for the life of me cannot see a non destructive way of opening it.

5. killme

killme Member

May 9, 2004
    Greenville
    Here's a quick guide I wrote up with some pictures. I hope it helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

01. Take the batteries out. Slide the keyboard out and insert a credit card or similar device in the crack where the keyboard and bottom shell meet. Work the card all the way around the bottom shell to separate it.

BE CAREFUL: It's easy for the speaker wire to get separated from where it's soldered to the speaker. And be mindful of the 2 square magnets, one on each side of the keyboard in Picture 9.

02. In the pictures, my speaker came out of the bottom shell of the remote. It's not strong glue. It's better to disconnect the speaker cable from the circuit board.

03. Make sure the keyboard is slid out and lift the latch (black) holding the gold ribbon cable in place.

04. Remove the 8 screws holding the slider part of the remote.

05. Remove the 2 screws from holding the cover to the front part of the remote. Use a credit card or similar device to separate the middle piece. Do the same to the two end pieces.

tivoslidepro-teardown (1).jpg tivoslidepro-teardown (2).jpg tivoslidepro-teardown (3).jpg tivoslidepro-teardown (4).jpg tivoslidepro-teardown (5).jpg tivoslidepro-teardown (6).jpg tivoslidepro-teardown (7).jpg tivoslidepro-teardown (8).jpg tivoslidepro-teardown (9).jpg tivoslidepro-teardown (10).jpg

6. killme

killme Member

May 9, 2004
    Greenville
    tivoslidepro-teardown (11).jpg tivoslidepro-teardown (12).jpg tivoslidepro-teardown (13).jpg tivoslidepro-teardown (14).jpg tivoslidepro-teardown (15).jpg tivoslidepro-teardown (16).jpg tivoslidepro-teardown (17).jpg

7. thefisch

thefisch Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Hmm, I've got one that doesn't realize the keyboard is in so the arrow keys are stuck in keyboard out mode. So pressing the up arrow with keyboard in moves you to the left. Wonder if I can disassemble and fix that.

8. killme

killme Member

May 9, 2004
    Greenville
    I have a remote with the same problem. For me, when I compared my TiVo remote to a working one, there was a small computer chip on the circuit board that came off. I assume that was the cause.