disappointed with TivO G adapter

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MTBRScott, Jan 23, 2006.

1. MTBRScott

MTBRScott New Member

Jan 20, 2006

Advertisements

I can't for the life of me remember my old account name, so I'm starting over....

I ordered the new TiVo wireless G adapter last week. I had been using a Linksys B for quite awhile and it was rock solid. Excited to have the TiVo G because I thought it would be tested and very compatible, right?

Well, maybe not...

I plugged it in and had good network connection right away, then it started fluctuating... from 78% down to 48% to none and sometimes even saying network adapter not available...

I read some of the other posts and noticed everyone, right after the 7.1 update, had problems with Linksys access points, I have the WRT54G as well. I do notice when I *illegally* connect to my neighbor's unprotected Netgear router that it appears to possibly stay up, it's only around 8% signal strength and drops to none at times, but I can't tell if that's because the adapter is flaking out or if it's just weak... and it still says adapter unavailable at times.

The only thing I've even gotten to affect it yet is to change the Beacon Interval from it's default of 100 to 10. The TiVo G then appears like it stays up more, but still goes down a lot and transmits so much garbage it slows everything else down. Plus it still says network adapter unavailable at times.

I have a Series 2 DVR, TiVo G adapter.

Linksys WRT54G and a host of other B and G devices (Linksys and others) that all work perfectly.

I'm not excited to sit and hold and have them try to tell me it's my network, at this point I just want to plug the old Linksys B back in again.

2. MTBRScott

MTBRScott New Member

Jan 20, 2006
    This chaps my ass... called Tivo support tonight, sat on hold for almost an hour... finally got in, told them my problem, the rep said they will replace it, gives me a case # and says he will transfer me to replacements.

I ask him for a direct number there in case I get disconnected, I know how this works. He said they don't have a direct number, but if something happens I could call back in and they'll transfer me. I said that's great, but I sat on hold forever to get there, and would rather not do that again if something happens.

So guess what happens, he transfers me and I get a message, "Thank you for calling TiVo, we are now closed, please call back during normal business hours".... I'm so f*cking happy I could cry...

3. Flyinace2000

Flyinace2000 Member

Aug 2, 2005
    It happened to me as well. My sister ordered me a wired adapter and FedEx destroyed it and would not deliver it. So i called TiVo and it toook 3 phone calls and about 3 hours to get a credit.

4. MTBRScott

MTBRScott New Member

Jan 20, 2006
    I finally got in to customer service today, very low wait times this morning. I was told I can't have a replacement for the G adapter. Basically I need to return it for a credit, then order one off the website again when I am ready.... very odd...

5. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry Caavo employee (Ex-TiVo, '00-'16)

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA

Advertisements

Have you tried changing the channel on your wireless router yet? I'm wondering if you're getting interference from other devices on the default channel. We had an engineer here who lives in an area with high wireless activity and he experienced all sorts of odd problems with various G adapters until changing the channel.

There are 11 channels in all. If yours is set to 11, you might want to start on the other end of the spectrum (ch1) and see what happens.

6. MTBRScott

MTBRScott New Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Thanks TiVoJerry, I am on channel 6 presently and I see 4 other channel 6 wireless networks with 40% (give or take) signal strength, so I'll try that tonight.

I see where to change the channel on my WRT54G access point and my WET11 bridge, do I need to change it somewhere within TiVo? If so, where? I looked all over...

7. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry Caavo employee (Ex-TiVo, '00-'16)

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    The change is detected automatically. There are not settings for you to change manually within the TiVo UI.

8. MTBRScott

MTBRScott New Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Thanks TivoJerry, I switched my wireless channel and it works awesome, very fast and no more drops.

This is the really odd part, even the "no network adapter present" that I was intermittently getting has apparently gone away as well.

I'm not sure how changing the wireless channel would affect the TiVo even forgetting it has an adapter present, but apparently it has and I guess I've seen stranger things. Now that it's working, man, the new G adapter is smoking fast.

Time for me to eat crow... :)