Disappearing Hacks

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by mike, Jan 21, 2006.

1. mike

mike Cohiba Man

Mar 26, 2002
    WI (USA)

Advertisements

I’m trying to hack a Sony Series 2 with 300GB WD drive. I ran through steps 1 & 2 of the Jenkins hack procedure to gain Telnet access, but it didn’t work (I couldn’t access the TiVo thru Telnet). I popped the drive back into my PC and noticed that all the new files and /hack directory were missing.

I thought initrd might be the culprit, so I ran ./kill_initrd info. That returned the error:

Error – No TiVo drive detected.

I re-ran all the Jenkins steps again and just for kicks, I re-booted with the Jenkins disk again to look for the files and the /hack directory. They were all gone again! And this time, the drive never even made it to the TiVo.

What’s going on? :confused:

Mike

2. BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    Right at the top of the page of the jenkins guide, it says for Series 1 tivos... hacking a Series 2 generally involves a different process... Check out gunnyman's unguide and the zipper thread

3. mike

mike Cohiba Man

Mar 26, 2002
    WI (USA)
    From what I can read, the SVR-3000 is not listed fuw unguide and zipper. What should I use to Telnet?

4. BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    Didn't realize you were running a standalone. The hacking process for a standalone is ALMOST identical (but I'm not positive exactly what is different, as I don't own one).
    More info on hacking an SA can be found on DDB.

5. mike

mike Cohiba Man

Mar 26, 2002
    WI (USA)

Advertisements

Thanks.

I’m still really confused though - why did the hacks disappear after simply re-booting the PC?

6. BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    newer tivo s/w versions (v3+) checksum the files in the system. If any of them aren't recognized, they get deleted. This is probably what happened to your hack directory.

7. mike

mike Cohiba Man

Mar 26, 2002
    WI (USA)
    Thanks BTUx9.

I don’t quite understand how a checksum is initiated on the drive while it’s in my PC.

TWP requires a new directory, but it'll be blown away before I even get to fire it up in the TiVo. So how do I load the necessary hacks w/o losing them immediately?

8. BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    re: the info that disappeared when you didn't even boot the drive in the tivo, I haven't got a clue... are you sure you put it where you think you did?

re: twp, that's why the box needs to be hacked... it disables that "feature", so the tivo s/w doesn't checksum itself and doesn't blow away whatever hacks you've installed. For S2 tivos (not the newer "s2.5" w/ the nightlight) the most common hack is called killhdinitrd... you may want to look around for info on that.

9. rowdan

rowdan New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    San Diego
    im trying to gain telnet access for my series 2 nightlight tivo

can any one direct me to the correct how to page?

10. BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    at this point, the only publicly available hack for nightlights is a physical prom mod (not for the faint of heart)

11. rowdan

rowdan New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    San Diego
    oooooo more soldering the unsolderable, to fix the unfixable..... :D

ok but seriously..... so there is a hardware mod to fix the "nightlight" so i can install telnet, ftp, ect... ect...

is there a reference name i can look for or a link you can send for information on it?

or should i just be searching for "prom fix" "prom hack"