Disabling forced watching of "emergency" alerts?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by dochawk, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Sep 5, 2017 #1 of 17
    dochawk

dochawk Member

Aug 1, 2002

Advertisements

Is there a way to modify how "emergency" alerts are handled?

It's really getting annoying to go through alerts that probably shouldn't have been made, for someplace 100 miles away, *twice*, several nights a week, and not being able to leave them--while invariably playing reality or tabloid garbage from whatever the top tuner was . . .

2. Sep 5, 2017 #2 of 17
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Nope.

You can avoid them a little bit if the TiVo is in 'standby'.

Try going through a hurricane that won't EVER leave and you'll know TRUE hardship on that!

-KP

PCurry57 likes this.
  3. Sep 6, 2017 #3 of 17
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yeah, that's the only thing you can do to prevent your RECORDINGS from being hosed -- put Tivo(s) into standby.

Yes, it sucks. I can turn off these things on my phone, I should be able to turn them off on my Tivos.. but supposedly they are required (except in standby) by the cable card compliance.

4. Sep 7, 2017 #4 of 17
    NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
  5. Sep 7, 2017 #5 of 17
    mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale

Advertisements

Does the FCC have jurisdiction?

6. Sep 7, 2017 #6 of 17
    BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    How are these alerts transmitted to the TiVo? I vaguely recall hearing that there's some signal that the cable companies transmit on a certain frequency - maybe that could be blocked/filtered somehow.

7. Sep 7, 2017 #7 of 17
    NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    yes, and they listen to feedback. when the rain watch alerts were going berserk here on comcast (7 during a one hour show due to changing end times for the watches), i wrote a thoughtful letter to fcc/eas asking what purpose they served when i was in my home - flood or tornado warnings, sure, but rain watches? shortly afterwards our market switched their tests to 5am, and stopped rain watch alerts altogether, not a bit of trouble since.

jth tv and tim1724 like this.
  8. Sep 8, 2017 #8 of 17
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Not all systems affect recordings. Mine doesn't. A system that affects recordings might be something that one could complain to the FCC about.

9. Sep 8, 2017 #9 of 17
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Funny but, I understand rain watch alerts, when it's a severe weather condition meriting an alert--such as, accompanied by strong winds that could result in tree and power line crashes (had that, with a cooperative tree kindly falling in the opposite direction from my house and the neighbor's).

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I don't understand Amber alerts. I'm home. How am I going to see a car?

11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I can understand it--you might be out 5 minutes later.

12. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    when you're in your home, what are you supposed to do? change clothes? put an umbrella near the door? look out the window? sure, you could decide not to travel, but when you open the door, and hear the thunder and wind, wouldn't you make that decision anyway, without an emergency alert?

domesticated animals have been surviving rain for years without emergency alerts - when they hear the thunder, or see dark skies and hear the wind, they seek shelter - humans should be able to do the same, without 7 interruptions of high-cost cable programming in one hours time.

plus, if the emergency alert system goes off every 5 minutes for rain, a few days a week, if there ever is a real emergency, say a flash flood or tornado, many will simply tune out the alerts and miss the warning - think boy who cried wolf.

rain is not an emergency, it's weather.

ward216, iconoclast and aaronwt like this.
  13. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    if you just came home, you may have seen the vehicle earlier, and could forward the info to police to help with the search? it's all i could come up with.

14. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    And that's why I noted that the weather needs to merit it, such as high winds that could cause trees to fall, as happened in my case. I really hadn't thought that that would be an issue right where I am--now I do.

And animals have survived without tornado alerts and hail alerts and blizzard alerts as well . . . . Yes, it needs to be done intelligently and judiciously. But that doesn't mean that what will be helpful should not be done.

15. Razzer

Razzer Cord cutter: 2011

Nov 4, 2015
    Twin Cities, MN
    Ah, a cable thing... got it .

(OTA user here.)

16. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Though aren't there still AMBER alerts and such that can go OTA?

or I guess those are all embedded in the normal programming itself.

17. Razzer

Razzer Cord cutter: 2011

Nov 4, 2015
    Twin Cities, MN
    Good question. All I can say is that in my own, Twin Cities, broadcast market, we see a crawl at the bottom of the screen (strictly as part of the recorded program itself) if there are weather conditions or something else that requires emergency notification, but my OTA Roamio system isn't getting interrupted by any other notifications.

We see some TiVo main page messages once in awhile, the same ones you would see pertaining to TiVo content or channel lineup changes, not emergency use nor community info.

(Another benefit of cutting the cord!). :)