disabling call waiting

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by colvinjl, Apr 7, 2011.

1. colvinjl

colvinjl Nivloc

Apr 7, 2011
    washington DC
    I'm trying to hook up the TIVO Premier via a phone line. I don't the obvious alternatives, like cable or internet. But when the TIVO tries to call, it cannot -'no dial tone' is the message. But there is a dial tone. Maybe it has to do with disabling call waiting. But I've entered what I think is the code for that *70, and that doesn't help.
    Any help is profoundly appreciated.

2. rsnaider

rsnaider Active Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Are you uisng the TiVo USB modem to connect your phone line to the TiVo? I have not seen any posts from others using this add-on, but I would have to guess that most have not purchased this.

If you have it, the next issue is your phone line. Since you are not using a broadband connection, is this a standard phone line and not VOIP?

3. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Disabling Call waiting isn't your problem (although it could be at some time in the future), if the message you are getting is "no dial tone" then the modem isn't even dialing, the problem could be that the outlet you are using isn't wired correctly, can you plug a phone into it and see if that gets a dial tone?

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Are you sure you are using a Tivo Premiere? The Premiere does not have a modem included in the box and must use a USB phone adapter dongle to connect, only can be purchased through tivo.com/store. If you have a phone line directly connected to the Premiere, its likely connected to the ethernet port and have damaged that port.

5. colvinjl

colvinjl Nivloc

Apr 7, 2011
    washington DC
    I do hear the dial tone from the receiver. I did purchase (and install) the 'phone adapter' recommended by TIVO from the TIVO store. So I'm still at a loss. I do appreciate the suggestions, however. Also, this is a standard phone line, not VOIP.

6. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    By "standard", it's also not DSL... is that correct? Did you try this: My TiVo is unable to connect via my phone line. Lot's of good stuff to check...