DirecTV Unveils DirecTV2PC Beta

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by musrmgr, Oct 22, 2008.

1. musrmgr

musrmgr New Member

Feb 2, 2005

Advertisements

DirecTV has released the beta version of DirecTV2PC, which will let owners of an HR2x series DirecTV HD-DVR stream video to their PC

Very Cool. Check it out.
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...setId=P4920044

2. rolybert

rolybert tunafish smells weird

Oct 1, 2008
    someones butt
  3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  4. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...

Advertisements

Is CC timing messed up for anyone else?

5. Fezmid

Fezmid New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I can browse both of my HR21 boxes, but I can't play anything. When I try, it says "DIRECTV2PC cannot connect to the server. The protected content cannot be played back at this time."

:(

6. smoking_rubber

smoking_rubber New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    What wires are used to transfer the media from my DVR to my PC? Must I have everything on a home network?

7. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    DBSTalk is going to be your best place for help. There are several threads. If I had to guess your monitor is not HDCP compliant.

8. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    It's on your home network. Again, DBSTalk is the main source of info on this application. Satguys also has some info. And you're not transferring media, you're just watching a streamed recording from the DVR. It's all protected via HDCP, it's not a file transfer that you then can play on your PC.

9. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
  10. Fezmid

Fezmid New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Yeah, I know - I posted there too.

However from what I've read, there's a specific HDCP error message and that's not what I'm getting....

I suppose I can hunt for a VGA cable/monitor to see if that helps.

11. packerfan

packerfan Elk Whisperer

Jan 7, 2002
    Titletown
    I just tried this out on my laptop. It works much better than I thought it would. I wonder how far away we are from having remote viewing available without the need for a slingbox.

12. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Well, this solution is high-bandwidth so is not really usable outside your home network. Remote viewing is a major issue for the studios as it's difficult to control.

13. SteveGardiner

SteveGardiner Loyal TiVo Subject

Nov 13, 2001
    Orange...
    I got it working fine on my home desktop but with one drawback. I have dual monitors on my PC and when I try to playback a show it tells me it won't work on dual monitor systems. I disabled my second monitor and it worked fine. This is an annoying issue. It seems they could just ignore my second monitor and only use the primary only.

14. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    Wow, this is so cool! Installation was a piece of cake, and I just got done watching an episode of Mythbusters in HD and it looked great! Crystal clear and no stuttering or pixelization at all.

Color me very impressed! There's some improvements they can make (being able to watch live tv for instance) but it's very handy for watching recorded shows in my home office when I'm supposed to be working. :D

15. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    Will there ever be a Mac client for this? I doubt it will run in a Windows Virtual Machine. :(

16. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    How do I get a second key?

ETA: I went back to the page and entered in a couple of other email addresses, but nothing yet.

ETA Again: Looks like I actually have to click the second download link to bring down the client to get the email to actually send.

17. SteveTrek

SteveTrek New Member

Aug 3, 2003
    Moorpark, CA.
    I have a R21-700 connecting to my PC through power-line ethernet to DIR-655. This Application is great! I have a 24 inch widescreen LCD monitor on my computer. I've watched a couple of Laker games and Pushing Daisies accross my home network on my PC. It's been rock solid. I have not had any issues at all. On the wish list side, I would like to be able to delete a show after I'm done watching it on the PC. Currently, one cannot do that. And like another post, I would like to be able to watch live TV too.

18. Fezmid

Fezmid New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    You can cheat and schedule a recording remotely (http:m.directv.com), and then start watching it like that. :)

Not that I'd know, since I can't get it to work yet... Gotta find a DVI->VGA connector and see if that helps with the HDCP thing.

19. SteveTrek

SteveTrek New Member

Aug 3, 2003
    Moorpark, CA.
    You're right. I thought of that. It would be nice to have a direct way to do it though.