DirecTV turning USBs on soon

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by spunster, Oct 12, 2007.

1. spunster

spunster New Member

Oct 12, 2007

Advertisements

Sorry if this is addressed elsewhere, but I couldn't find it. Has anyone else received the notice from DirecTV saying they are turning on the USB ports soon? I received on last week (about 10/3) and then called them today. They confirmed that was true but could not give me a specific date but he "thought" it was supposed to occur in November.

I asked him if it required new hardware and he put me on hold for about 5 minutes and came back and said no, that it is intended to work with all existing DirecTV TiVos that have USB ports.

Is this part of the 6.3 update that everyone is talking about? If not maybe it is why they are being unresponsive to problems. If they have another build coming out soon they may address the locking up issues there.

2. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Great Theory we can only hope that it comes true. :)

3. Mark W

Mark W Member

Dec 6, 2001
    CT, USA
    This would be great news for me as long as they come out with something that I can plug into that USB port that will stop my DTivos from freezing and rebooting.

4. Mark W

Mark W Member

Dec 6, 2001
    CT, USA
    Seriously though, can you please give more information? How did you “receive the notice”? Are you talking about an e-mail? I don’t mean to question you, but you say you received it last week, and I haven’t heard any other mention of this anywhere else. Please post the text of the “notice”. Thanks.

5. Mark Griswold

Mark Griswold New Member

Apr 22, 2003
    CT

Advertisements

I got a postcard just the other day in the mail, but read about it here quite some time ago
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=365335

It doesn't specifically say they are turning on USB ports. I just assumed so by the Remote Booking feature, but I suppose they could implement that by adding remote booking info to the sat stream.

6. Mark W

Mark W Member

Dec 6, 2001
    CT, USA
  7. spunster

spunster New Member

Oct 12, 2007
    It was a postcard I received in the mail last week and it was similar to the one above but in place of the "Overlapping" section it listed home networking. I wish I kept it so I could quote it, but I wasn't aware of this forum then.

Also, when I called them yesterday he confirmed that turning on the USB ports was part of the update.

8. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Then it is part of the update scheduled for early next year?

9. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    I wouldn't expect much - Tivo REMOVED the multiroom viewing feature starting at version 6.3. Multiroom viewing was part of 6.2 - but it was just disabled from the factory.

10. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Having working USB ports on a DTivo is pretty cool. I like being able to copy my programs to my PC, or copy them from one DTivo to another.

11. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I received a postcard promising new features, but nothing about the USB ports. They do not need to enable the USB ports (or networking) for those features and I doubt they'll ever be enabled (at least on the DTiVos.)

12. pbod153

pbod153 New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    ct
    What software do you use to copy from tivo to pc.
    thanks
    p

13. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    I use TyTool to move the mpeg files from the DTivo's to my PC.

14. leftstrat

leftstrat New Member

Apr 18, 2005
    A friend of mine has a regular TIVO, that (I think), will access the music folders on his computer, to sort of become a wireless media device. I'd love to see that feature implemented on the D*tivo... It'll keep me from having to buy a DSM-520 from Dlink. :)

15. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    On the DTiVo, it will never be supported, though you can get it by "hacking". It's a standard feature of the DirecTV HR20.