Directv to Comcast and Tivo / Tivo Newbie here

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Vadi, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Vadi

Vadi Member

Mar 13, 2015

Advertisements

After 5 years with DTV (HDDVRS, no HR34/44) and 4 years with Dish, we're going back to cable. I'm scared, but I'm hoping Tivo makes the transition a good one.

On a budget. Took advantage of the $0 down, $20 a month Tivo basic. Two of them to be exact. Since the second one is going to be adding $30 on top of the bill ($20 + $10 additional outlet fee), I might just hook one up and send the second back.

Thought about getting the Plus for the 2 extra tuners and 1TB, but it is 2" too wide to fit the entertainment center.

HDD will be upgraded after I order a WD20EURX (BB only has the EZRX in stock).

Long story short, how do I mirror the signal to the bedroom tv? using the basic? I see the breakout cables, but can I use the components for an HD mirror with the basic roamio? If so, how do I get audio?

Can I even use component for the basic or does it have to be composite? I'd prefer an HD mirror, but can live with SD until we get the mini in a few months.

If I could get the Plus, I'd run the 5 cable combo, but the plus won't fit.

I'm very excited. Have had DVRs for over 10 years, but this is our first Tivo. Should be here this evening. I can't wait.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Why not use a mini instead of a second tivo? Save Comcast fees, lower cost over time for service?

3. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    You'll enjoy the Mini once you get it.

In the meantime the Roamio only works with HDMI and composite. Component isn't an option. The outputs are simultaneous. You could try an hdmi splitter, but I haven't tried it myself.

4. soccergrunt

soccergrunt New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    Indianapolis
    If you are satisfied with SD until you get a Mini, I would just run a composite cable since it is temporary.

I don't use a Mini, but I mirror my premiere Tivo to my bedroom. We rarely watch both TVs at the same time so we only need to have it mirror and it was before the Mini was available.

I did this using a Monoprice 4x2 matrix HDMI switch. I have the Tivo and a Roku set up in living room connected as inputs to the HDMI switch. I ran HDMI to the living room TV on output A and HDMI to the bedroom (about 75 feet) on output B. I can use the Tivo or Roku on either TV. They only Mirror so each device will show the same program. We can use the Tivo and Roku independently so one TV can watch TV through Tivo and the other stream through Roku. I control them with an IR remote extender, so each box sits in a cabinet by the living room TV. The switch is also remote enabled.

5. h2oskierc

h2oskierc I'm a 2-Tuner

Dec 16, 2010
    Minnesnowta

Advertisements

In my setup where I fed my Tivo Premiere to my whole house (2 Tuner, not Mini compatible), I had the composite output go into an RF Modulator, and then fed that via Coax to my other TVs. The picture was TERRIBLE, and we had to watch the same channel on TVs. The Mini setup is SO much better and well worth the cost...

OP, why do you feel you need the second Roamio, instead of a mini at that TV set? Not looking to flame you, but curious about the reasoning? I decided to go with the Plus for the extra HD space, and the built in Moca networking and strem device...

6. Vadi

Vadi Member

Mar 13, 2015
    A mini will be in the future. We just don't have an extra $150 to spend outright yet. With the base Roamio only having a 500gb drive, we have to drop ~100 on a bigger drive right away.

Speaking of which, there are no drives in my are that I can get my hands on. I'd have to install and activate the Tivo/CC tonight (satellite signal is out). Then install a new drive later next week when it came in. WDs site says Walmart has the WD10EURx in stock, but Walmarts site says no, so I won't know until I get there.

What is the Seagate model equivalent to the WD AV 1 or 2 TB?

Lol, 8 tuners sounded awesome. I realized the Plus would be a better option, but it's about two inches too wide to fit into the tv stand. It's kind of a tight space so I can't really put it anywhere else. The Samsung tv sits too low to put it on top with that.

7. h2oskierc

h2oskierc I'm a 2-Tuner

Dec 16, 2010
    Minnesnowta
    Fair enough. I understand 8 Tuners... So far, 6 has been good. But I came from two tuners, so I tripled! Added two Minis, and I'm happy!

8. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Or the WDEURX from Amazon.com and get it in a few days, depending on your needs?

9. Vadi

Vadi Member

Mar 13, 2015
    Well, the Roamios didn't make it. UPS had a weather delay so delivery was pushed back until Monday.

This delay has given me time to realize a near record level of intellectual deficiency on my part.

The Plus that I thought was too big to fit the entertainment center? It's not too wide. Just the actual cardboard box is too wide. I was looking at the shipping carton dimensions. Since the Plus is 16.5" instead of the 19.75" I thought, the Plus is back into the equation.

So I have 2 base Roamios due to be delivered on Monday. One will be returned.

My option is to keep one base Roamio. Add a ~$100 hardrive. 4 tuners, 1.5 TB, SD mirror to bedroom 1 through composite. Deca (same as Moca?) already ran in their from the DirecTV system for future addition of the Mini.

Second option. Return both base Roamios and get the Plus for ~$100. 6 tuners. 1 TB, HD mirror to bedroom 1 through component. Allows for a future Mini(s) to be placed into bedrooms 1 & 2. (Bedroom 2 has no Deca/Moca set up.)

The two extra tuners, HD mirror, and the ability to expand a little easier, makes up for the loss of 500gb (base plus 1TB WD Dvr Expander = 1.5TB).

Sorry for the thinking out loud post. Still flip flopping on the decision so I'll take any and all input please!

The Questions:

Has anybody ever dealt with the 30 day return? Is there an RMA in the box or do they ship a separate one out?

Will the remote work in another room about 30 feet away with a wall and an open doorway between the remote and Tivo?

In the future, with each Mini added, they take up 1 tuner, but if inactive for 4 hours they release? Example, if two Minis are being used at one time, the Plus can still record with 4 tuners?

Has anyone found the fail rates to increase with the Plus/Pro over the base due to the extras tuners? Too soon to say?

10. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    A couple of random thoughts, on things you didn't really ask about ;) :

-- If you're likely going to be streaming using the box or using a Mini with it, you may want to go the Plus route now, as you'll have its built-in Moca and streaming capabilities (which you would need to pay for, to add to the Roamio standard version).

-- For extra bang for your buck, why not go a 3TB upgrade, the WD30EURX? Only around $15 more (shipped) than your stated $100, from Amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...=UTF8&qid=1426342081&sr=8-1&keywords=wd30eurx

And by the way, don't kick yourself about the measurements--I constantly am confused by the product dimensions that Amazon.com provides, as it never is clear to me if that is the product or the product packaging (I guess it's the latter, when Amazon is providing it and the info. is not in the separate manufacturer's product info. section?).

11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    One additional thing: from what I've read here, I don't know that the Roamio standard's 4-tuner tech. can be compared to the Plus/Pro's 6-tuner tech., at least in certain regards, as the tech. is different at least in part, the 4-tuner version capturing over-the-air signal (and that is why, I read here, it's a 4-tuner as versus 6-tuner device: that's what currently has been developed (or is readily available)). But perhaps others will know better.

12. Vadi

Vadi Member

Mar 13, 2015
    Good points and random thoughts are my favorite kind.

When I was planning for the base Roamio, I was looking at the WDx0EURX to replace. I then changed my mind to the 1TB WD Dvr Expander out of concern for the Continual Care Warranty.

Since I've decided to go with the Plus, I'll have to delay the hdd upgrade. I've only got around $100 extra to play with and the Plus upgrade will take that. I'll add on later, but 1TB should be fine for a while. We've got 820gb with the DirecTv system now, so it's still a step up.

13. gespears

gespears Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    I recommend using Spherular's coupon to get the pro instead of the plus because it's only 100 dollars more and you get the 3TB. Cheaper than buying one and putting it in.

14. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    He's doing the $0 down, $19.99/month offer from TiVo. He doesn't have the available cash to spend even what spherular is offering apparently.

OP, you mentioned the EZRX WD drive. I wanted to say that I have used at least 3 of those since my very first Roamio pro back in Sep 2013 and have had no issues whatsoever using them. I have even swapped them in and out of numerous roamios since then (base, plus and OTA)

15. gespears

gespears Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    Sorry, missed that little detail.

16. Vadi

Vadi Member

Mar 13, 2015
    Yes. The spherular deal doesn't appeal to me right now. I figure 4K will come eventually. If it comes next year, I'll pay the ETF of the $0 down deal and upgrade. If it takes two years, I'll own the roamio/s to sell to help offset the upgrade price.

Also, if the Comcast HD PQ is as bad as I remember it being 5 years ago in my area, I'm cancelling and will have to sink a few hundred into a creative Directv solution. If I had $500+ to spend this week, I would be doing that tomorrow.

For now, I need minimum 4 tuners with a minimum 1TB of space for two HDTVs in separate rooms.

I think I'll just bite the bullet and sign the Comcast contract. For 2 base Roamios, HD Preferred Triple Play, taxes, fees, misc. items, it will be $206/month.

$206/ month, 8 tuners, 1TB (upgrade later) + phone and internet.

Replacing

$217/ month, 4 tuners, 820gb, + phone and internet.

Plus later on I can buy a modem, and pay the two Roamios yearly, to knock $50 off the bill.

Now I just have to find an actual answer to what Comcasts ETF fee is before I sign. Oh boy.

17. h2oskierc

h2oskierc I'm a 2-Tuner

Dec 16, 2010
    Minnesnowta
    Isn't the Base Roamio 500GB? Two of them gives you your 1 TB!

18. Vadi

Vadi Member

Mar 13, 2015
    Yes! Plus 8 tuners should be more than enough for future upgrades. I'll add a bigger AV drive to them in a few months. They should be here sometime today. UPS has them out for delivery, and I have 2 cablecards ready to go.

The local office told me the COE credit is only for modems. I let it go until we see the first month bill. Then I'm going for my $4.98 credit. Wish me luck!

19. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    If the programming fee includes your first cable box, then they are required (by federal regulations) to give you a credit if you don't take the box. AFAIK, Comcast includes the first box with all packages (at least they did when I was working in their data center in Denver).

20. Vadi

Vadi Member

Mar 13, 2015
    We know that. She seemed confused at the office though. Once I get it set up and make sure we're keeping it, then I'll call in or try the email. It'll come eventually, lol.