DirecTV to announce partnership for content transfer to portable devices

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by rgbyhkr, Dec 28, 2005.

1. rgbyhkr

rgbyhkr New Member

Jun 6, 2001
  2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    That's a sucker bet there Jeff.

3. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Cool....... :)

Hopefully "portable devices" include laptops... :D

4. lee espinoza

lee espinoza some guy

Aug 21, 2002
    San Antonio,TX
  5. youngdr

youngdr New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Atlanta GA
    He's betting, for $100, that it will only be for the R-15.

6. lee espinoza

lee espinoza some guy

Aug 21, 2002
    San Antonio,TX
    :p :eek:

7. jmoak

jmoak Beware of Conky!

Jun 20, 2000
    florida
    How about a bet that there will be no pc support and that you can only transfer to their "Approved Partner's Portable Devices"? (ala DishPlayer)

engadget gets this from dave zatz' site and he makes no mention of pc's at all.

note the "they’ll be announcing a new partnership" line. Not a feature, not an ability, but a "partnership".

God, I hope they prove me wrong. But I'm just not that confident that they "love" me as much as they claim anymore.

8. tivolocity

tivolocity Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I think its a pretty safe bet that its only for the R15, and HR20-250. It will be interesting is to see if the "TiVo or death" members will now warm up to these non-TiVo DVRs. Especially, if you can get the content onto a PC [which i think is a real stretch]. Or, if this will be seen as a useless gimmick.

Personally, mobile doesn't do much for me. However, archiving to a hard drive or DVD, is huge.

9. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    I can get the content from my Tivo Powered HDVR2 and DVR40 today onto any computer/portable device I own TODAY.
    This announcement is a bunch of :meh to me.

10. lee espinoza

lee espinoza some guy

Aug 21, 2002
    San Antonio,TX
    but to the people who don't have there tivo hacked this may mean a lot

11. tivolocity

tivolocity Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I think Gunny just answered my question. :) Also, this doesn't automatically imply that you're in the "TiVo or death" crowd Gunny. :)

12. lee espinoza

lee espinoza some guy

Aug 21, 2002
    San Antonio,TX
    Scott Greczkowski at Satguys is hearing that the partner is Sony and the player would be a Sony PSP.

13. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    good,
    cuz I do own an R15 along with the Tivos.
    For what does, it does it well.
    I look at these units this way:
    Dtivos are Tivo's 1st and Satellite receivers 2nd. The function is great! The features are solid. The interface for average joe tv watcher who likes to channel surf is :meh.
    R15 is a Sat receiver 1st and a DVR 2nd. The interface is GEARED to joe channel surfer. The rest of the functions are :meh (all this is IMHO don't smack me around)

14. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    then they are shooting themselves in the foot.
    The install base of iPod with Video is likely greater, or it soon will be.

15. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Oh I hope not.... purchasing a Sony PSP just so I can watch some shows on my commute....
    Why can't we all just get along and get a standard portable codec that can be played on any compatible device... :)

16. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    we have one it's called H.264 :D

17. rgbyhkr

rgbyhkr New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    I agree that if they exclude Video iPods, it's a huge mistake. However, what remains to be seen is how they handle the content transfer. If it can be offloaded to a PC first, then there are more options. DRM issues are the other key factor of course.

If that picture in the article is an official DTV promo, I take from it that they will support transfer to PCs ("...blurring the line between your TV, computer and mobile devices." - the mockup also includes a PC monitor ) as well as Portable Media Center devices. I'm actually going to CES so I will be sure to ask questions about the specifics. Speaking of that, if any of you have specifics you'd like me to ask about, post them in this thread and I'll check it before I go. It may be best to wait on their official announcement to see what more info it contains before asking questions. I'll be attending Saturday and Sunday so there probably will be an announcement by them before then.

Jeff

18. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Well, you could ask them if they're gonna go back to XM, enable the USB ports on stock DTiVo's and enable all the HMO stuff. ;)

19. Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC

But if that was the case, you could single handedly put Hollywood out of business by pirating all the content. ;) ;) ;) OMG, the sky is falling!!

20. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    You also wouldn't have to buy all those various competing devices.