DirecTV/TiVo to update DTivos. (See they haven't completely given up on DTiVo)

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ebonovic, Jul 31, 2007.

1. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1034357&highlight=

2. ericL

ericL Abbie Normal

Jan 6, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey,
    Can anyone fill us in as to what these features are? I've settled into a nice equilibrium with my DTivos and haven't been paying attention to stuff for a while.

thanks.

3. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    Hmm HME maybe?

4. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    Oh and has Liberty Media taken over yet? Or is Rupert still holding the Turd Bird?

5. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    Hummmmmmmm. ;)

6. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    The "stock swap" has not been completed yet.

7. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    by the way Earl, glad you still peek in from time to time :D

8. Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    Man, I realize it's just a tiny glimmer of hope, but still, that's good news!

9. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    if this means we can register our TSN's on Tivo's website, that's a step in the right direction.

10. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    ;)

TCF is still a "sibling site"... can't let the family go...

11. 94SupraTT

94SupraTT New Member

Feb 17, 2005
    TN...
    Excellent news.

12. rhuntington3

rhuntington3 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2001
    I guess I should have bought a Series 2 at some point. Oh well, my Series 1 is still working fine!

13. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    So three new items coming to Series 2 ...

- a Recently Deleted Folder
    - Overlap Protection(TM)
    - DIRECTV's Remote Booking feature

I know what the first is, have an idea on the second (soft padding?), but have never heard of the last new feature. Is this remote online scheduling?

14. 94SupraTT

94SupraTT New Member

Feb 17, 2005
    TN...
    Got this from tivolovers.com

Remote booking...

15. hyde76

hyde76 New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Yorba Linda, CA
    It's like X-mas in July all over again!

16. jmoak

jmoak Beware of Conky!

Jun 20, 2000
    florida
    Back in the days when Newscorp took over Directv, I actually worked for News in a dth teleport for SkyBrazil, SkyLA and SkyMexico (Televisa) here in florida. Some of the development for the nds box was being done in their Miami Lakes facility in conjunction with other nds products in development at the time. I kept hearing "Too unstable" and "Too expensive" when I asked about it. Heck, I even posted on this board (as much as I could) that things just weren't all that rosy with the new nds box. No one I knew felt that directv would sign off on the durn thing. Then after the race for the "low cost" unit and tivo delivered the r10 platform that came in on time and supposedly under cost, everybody thought it was all wrapped up, especially since the nds box was way late and (rumored) way over cost..

Boy was I wrong.

Dead wrong.

Anouncments were made, stories started coming out:

DirectTV Dumps TiVo
    DirecTV: TiVo-less DirecTV In October
    Carey Confirms DirecTV Will Cease Marketing TiVo
    NDS Threaten TiVo with DirecTV PVR
    DirecTV To Develop TiVo Rival!
    DirecTV Dumping TiVo
    DirecTV makes moves to drop TiVo
    DirecTV sells its TiVo stake
    News Corp's NDS is the anti-TiVo
    TiVo dented by DirecTV move
    DirecTV touts potential TiVo rival

Then, a year or so later, we get what we thought was a little ray of hope ...

"On April 12, 2006 they entered an agreement to allow existing DirecTV customers using the TiVo digital video recorder to continue to receive maintenance and support from DirecTV. As part of the agreement, TiVo and DirecTV also said they wouldn't sue each other over patent rights."

But, alas, the experts shot down any hope we may have had:
    http://news.com.com/TiVo+and+DirecTV+extend+contract/2100-1038_3-6060475.html

And now we are told something completely different!

Supposedly, the release of this "DVR enhancement" is timed just One Year Before The End of what was touted as an agreement simply just to cover directv's butt on possible patent litigation!

And this isn't just some service/maintance release, they're supposedly adding enhancements and new features!!!

:eek:

It's like the live-in that breaks up with you, tells you to get out and six months later, just as you're moving the last almost forgotten box out of the attic, the hurt and pain finally over and you're finally moving on, she looks at you and coyly suggests that you stay over and share a bottle of wine or something, all the while fluttering her eyes the way she use to!!!!!

Bless her heart, I gotta take my box and go. I can't go through that again!

.... at least not today.

maybe tomorrow.

maybe.
    :eek:

17. jmoak

jmoak Beware of Conky!

Jun 20, 2000
    florida
    OH!!

By the way,

Thank you, Earl, for giving us the word.

I appreciate it.
    :)

18. Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    +1 but Earl this better not be a false hope thread as you will feel the rath Of BBB :D ;) ;)

19. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Great News but:

What of us all with the Series 1 units. If they can update all the Series 2's why not the Series 1 units too.

Its about time Directv enabled its USB Ports on all units be they Directv or Directv/Tivo units. Why the need to put them there in the first place without enabling them seems senseless. This is one reason why the Tivo units where so much better - Home Networking. If Directv pulls it off, and has something along the lines of TTG etc, it would be very welcome by all Directv users. :D

20. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    I don't think it is going to be a false hope, hence thre reason not to mention any of it until the deal was done (and the press release issued)

As for me giving you all the news... not really "correct" this time..
    This was off the press release... and in fact others where here a few minutes after me posting the same stuff...