1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIRECTV TIVO THR22 HD Slow SLUGGISH

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by cbessant, May 12, 2017.

1. cbessant

cbessant New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    I have two THR22s that are exhibiting the same issues the past 4 months. The units were purchased July 2012 when the THR22s were made available. No more than 50% of the single disk on each are used. Internal Temp shows "Normal".

Experiencing random slowness (up-to 60 seconds) when deleting a show, or selecting a show in the "Now Playing" list to view the description. On the "To Do List", I can view the show's title, but no description. If I go to the Guide and look at the entry, I can see the description. Once the show records (or recording) the description can be viewed. This typically occurs like clockwork with CBS' "60 Minutes" and "CBS Sunday Morning News". Sometimes remote control commands are sluggish at times, and occasionally it will crash/reboot.

The behavior is as if the disk is severely fragmented or has bad sectors or needs a clean-up like Windows does with Error Checking.

Transferring the Season Passes and Wish Lists is not available which is a real PITA. I get not being able to transfer recorded content, but Passes, Lists and Settings should be transferable to replacement units.

Anyone else experiencing this?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Haven't seen the specific symptom, but delays in the UI are not uncommon. As far as I know, fragmentation is not an issue with these.

3. cbessant

cbessant New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Th UI has always been fast and quick, until recently it has been sporadically sluggish. I used fragmentation as an example, I have no idea if the THR22 defrags itself or not. I know DTV/ATT is really not committed to the long term with TiVo as they'd rather use their own. It would be nice if they would commit to both.

I'd try a new THR22 (DTV will gladly swap it out) but we have a lot of Season Passes and Wish Lists that are a pain to recreate. If I get to that point, I may just try the HR54 Genie and add a remote client if I like it. In the past I've preferred the TiVo GUI over DTV.