Directv Tivo series 1 - Failing B Drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by tmoney, Jul 30, 2007.

1. tmoney

tmoney New Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Virginia, USA
    My upgraded drive B is failing and causing reboots. Please advise how I should rebuild. My original A drive with tivo system is still fine after all these years. I'm going to run spinrite 6 on it to make sure A is still good, but BIOS reports drive B as about to die. I ran spinrite on drive B a year ago (same reboot issues) and it gave it almost another year of life, but now i'm afraid there is no hope for it.

I just deleted ALL data from Tivo and now the tivo hard drive is in the state of going threw guided setup. I have not proceeded with that step.

I would like to just add a new drive as the B drive. I've already removed the old B drive and was wondering if there are simple steps to follow from this point.

Basically if the Tivo was already configured for original A drive and new but now failing B drive, how can I just swap in a different B drive (different size) and just get everything up and running again.

Again, the tivo has been reset and there is no data on it. I read somewhere that I need to run guided setup before changing out drives. True?

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,
    Todd

2. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Do you still have your original drive?

Since you already deleted everything (you didnt really need to) you could create a very small backup (mine was under 800mb) and then use that to restore to back to the A drive and new B drive.

3. tmoney

tmoney New Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Virginia, USA
    I have the original tivo drive which is my A drive. If I remove the extra drive B (its the bad one), and put in a new drive B do I have to backup/restore anything? or just bless it or something... if i have to backup can I just do A or do I need B as well...

4. tmoney

tmoney New Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Virginia, USA
    I've been searching the forums and found the term I think I'm trying to do is called divorcing your B drive from A. I'd like to try this on my series 1 as my drive B is bad. I guess i'll be diving into the mfs tools 2.0 soon and hopefully can figure it out from there. Would appreciate any info on divorcing a B drive from tivo original A drive.