DirecTV Tivo SD with HD Dish?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by yardstare, Oct 8, 2007.

1. yardstare

yardstare New Member

Aug 18, 2005

Advertisements

I apologize if this was asked before - I searched but couldn't find a similar question... I have a DirecTV Tivo (Samsung Unit and a Phillips Unit) units. I am planning on purchasing HD TV and HD Dtivo DVR within the next 3 months.

Now the question. DirecTV will be servicing our system in the next few days (they serviced our units today but did not hook it up properly (They replaced a multi-switch but cut and misconnected coax cables causing one of our DTivo's to be missing a Tuner). When they service again I was going to have them install a 5LNB HD Dish hooked it into our SD DTivo which is hooked into to a SD TV

What is the down side? Will the SD DTivo's work? I assume I won't see the HD channels which is fine or If I get the HD Dish, HD DVR and feed it in an SD TV would that be OK?

My purpose here is to save time later - I don't have to wait for DTV to install later. I can just put in the HDTV and a Weaknees DTV DVR?

What do you think?

2. whalerfan

whalerfan Let's go Whalers!

Nov 9, 2004
    I have both a RCA DVR40 and a HR20-700 with the 5 lnb dish. No problems on either end. When you do decide to make the upgrade to HD you'll be set and they won't have to replace the dish. With the dual lines you'll be able to set up your system yourself (assuming they'll let you)

best of luck.

3. yardstare

yardstare New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    So I understand that no problems with the SD DTivo. I assume all HD channels simply aren't viewable/available or are they viewable just not in HD?

Is there are downside to this plan?

4. yardstare

yardstare New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    DTV was happy to install a 5LNB dish at no charge. They claim that even though we don't have HD Tuners or an HDTV we will get much better reception. So upgrading to HD later just got a lot easier for me.

Maybe by then their will be an HD DTivo :p and by then snowballs will be thrown in hades....

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY

Advertisements

Just to be clear, make sure that four lines are run from the dish to a common location. That's where the extra multiswitch, if needed, is added.

6. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    You simply will not receive the HD channels. Some are available in SD and some are not. If you are currently diplexing OTA in along with your DirecTV feeds, there may be an issue with the overlap in frequencies of the new HD signals and the OTA signal.