DirecTV TiVo Model THR22 Available 11/3/2011 (According to Retention Rep)

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by cousintim, Oct 13, 2011.

1. cousintim

cousintim New Member

Oct 13, 2011
    The Retention rep read from his system notes that the DirecTV TiVo Model THR22 would be available starting 11/3/2011.

Neither the hardware costs nor the monthly fees have been finalized. There were ranges posted in his notes, so that it seems that they will vary based customer type, tenure and value.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Will believe it when I see it. We've had so many of these sorts of prognostications come and go I've lost track of them all. Let's hope you're right.

3. MamaKAS

MamaKAS New Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Are you sure he didn't just say November 3rd?

Cause 11/3/12 is probably more accurate.

4. RMBittner

RMBittner Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Charlotte,...
    Ever the hopeful optimist, I will dutifully check the DirecTV Web site on November 3 to see if this one actually -- finally! -- pans out. But I've been doing that every day since September 1 anyway. . .

Bob

5. EJ

EJ New Member

Nov 3, 1999
    Minot, ND
    Whenever it's released, I'm going to wait and let others be the guinea pigs before I decide to dip my toe in the water. Unlike the 10-250 release, when I was high on the list for the first shipment.

6. RMBittner

RMBittner Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Charlotte,...
    That's a great point. As eager as I am to finally switch from cable to DirecTV, I am a little concerned about being among the first users to actually jump on-board.

That said, I was kind of in the same situation with TiVo when I was one of the early adopters of the first-gen S3. And everything went fine. (Even my cable company knew what a CableCARD was. . .)

Bob

7. dcstager

dcstager 1st Gen Tivo Owner

Feb 16, 2002
    Skagit...
    They are trying to wait until the NFL Season Ticket promotion ends so we don't double-dip with a new receiver model and a nice programming incentive package. I'm going to be a guinea pig, and I'll make a full report as soon as possible. I've done it with every model already except the Premiere. My Series 1 from July 1999 is still in service in a spare bedroom.

8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do you have grandfathered lifetime on that S1, or are you talking about a DirecTiVo?

9. dcstager

Feb 16, 2002
    Skagit...
    It's just stand-alone Tivo with lifetime. My next-door neighbor who I hooked into this long ago has a Series 1 Directivo that he purchased lifetime service on -- it's still going but with just one tuner working. I'm pretty sure the Directivo lifetime service is worthless. Or is it?

10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    He might be able to get the other tuner working again with a power supply repair.

I don't really know anything about DirecTiVo billing, as to who gets paid for what and what you get for what you pay to who, so I have no idea of the worth, if any, of lifetime TiVo on a DirecTiVo. I assume that's just lifetime on the TiVo part and the DirecTV part still involves monthly payments.

Did you buy lifetime for yours on or before Januuary 20, 2000?

If you did, you can do a one-time only free transfer of that lifetime to another TiVo.

11. dcstager

Feb 16, 2002
    Skagit...
    The original activation date listed on Tivo.com is 7/29/1999. Tivo will transfer it, but not for free.

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Is that the original activation date of the TiVo itself, or of the lifetime subscription?

A lifetime subscription purchased on or before January 20, 2000 is eligible for a one-time transfer, no fee involved.

13. dcstager

Feb 16, 2002
    Skagit...
    It's original activation and lifetime date. It has a plain black front with no "eye" thing like most series 1's have. Although I'm not using them, I still have the original twin 15 gb drives that came with it. Tivo won't honor the old promise.

14. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=290723

Scroll down a ways and you'll find this

# Grandfather transfer: The one-time "Grandfather transfer" (for people who purchased Product Lifetime on or before January 21, 2000 [as in, more than six years ago], and who have not already used their one-time transfer) is still allowed and will also be honored for future hardware releases from TiVo, such as the Series3. If you have any trouble when you call, please mention KDB code 09-07-04 to the agent.

It's possible that they won't honor it on Premieres that weren't purchased at full price (i.e., the ones that were cheaper because there was a 2 year, $19.99 per month commitment as part of the deal).

15. dcstager

Feb 16, 2002
    Skagit...
    I'm still planning on getting the Directv Tivo if it ever happens, but I have a quick question for the Directv experts. The new unit uses the single wire multi-switch - which I actually need because my house is pre-wired with just one coax connection at each outlet area. However, I have an old Sony DTV receiver. It dates from the time when there was just the three satellites and oval dishes. Is the old receiver going to work with the single wire multi-switch? It only has one satellite input. Is there some adapter needed or is my old receiver obsolete for SWM setups?

16. djp

djp New Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Centennial, CO
    DirecTV SWM multi-switches have a small number (like 3 or 4) of "legacy" ports, for just this reason. Each legacy port is the equivalent of a single port on the 4xN switches.

17. dcstager

Feb 16, 2002
    Skagit...
    That's great. My Series 1 can keep living on without basic cable! My old receiver has a serial port that the old Tivo controls perfectly.

18. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    It's not quite that simple. There is a dish with an integrated SWM and no legacy ports. But if you are keeping the TiVo they can give you a regular dish and separate SWM which does have legacy ports.

19. dcstager

Feb 16, 2002
    Skagit...
    How bad does the regular dish and separate SWM look?

This is really getting absurd. The thing should be out already. Time Warner Cable has become more reliable in the waiting period, so maybe it's pointless to even hassle it.

20. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The nice thing about the integrated dish is that it is smaller than the 5-sat "Slimline" because it sees only three satellites (99, 101 and 103). Other than that there isn't a lot of difference, though with the separate SWM you have to find a place to mount the module and run the four input cables to it.