DirecTV TiVo may finally ship in April or May

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by gimp, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Jan 14, 2011 #1 of 669
    gimp

gimp New Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Silicon Valley

Advertisements

DirecTV TiVo may finally ship in April or May

The planned DirecTV TiVo HD receiver that dates back to 2008 and has faced numerous delays may have been shown off to a select few at the CES show last week. The hardware may finally show up in April or May,sources speaking to Fudzilla said. Unofficial rumors also indicate the device will not contain all of TiVo's latest features.

Also allegedly not present will be multi-room support, and the device will be based on a reference Thompson design. What will be the headline feature, however, is the TiVo user interface that is said to be much better than that of DirecTV's DVR models. TiVo is rumored to be doing beta testing on the software to work out the bugs and otherwise refine it.

By Electronista Staff

2. Jan 14, 2011 #2 of 669
    pforkes

pforkes New Member

Oct 12, 2002
    I was at CES and SPECIFICALLY asked about the DirecTV TiVo unit and was told that TiVo had done the work, submitted it to DirecTV and they were waiting for DirecTV to put it together and ship it.
    It was not shown to anyone at CES. I asked (and I had press credentials).

3. Jan 14, 2011 #3 of 669
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Anything interesting at CES? (Note: I don't consider anything wiith "phone" in the name or description to be interesting.)

4. Jan 16, 2011 #4 of 669
    dirk1843

dirk1843 I'm your huckleberry

Jul 7, 2003
    Northeast...

IMHO the word "tablet" is just as bad.......and "3D".

5. Jan 16, 2011 #5 of 669
    Scooter

Scooter Mattress Tester

Mar 15, 2000
    St. Louis

Advertisements

Meh. Five years too late. I love TiVo, but when they stopped building D-TiVos I left. My DIRECTV DVRs work very well. Also, having multiple DVRs with Grandfathered lifetime TiVo service, it's MUCH cheaper to have DIRECTV's boxes. Well, if it's like the old days, I suppose it would be the same price for DIRECT's boxes as TiVo. Anyone remember $99 D-TiVos (owned)? ;)

DIRECTV's boxes have features now that I never had with the old D-TiVos. I'm perfectly happy.

I really do hope it works out for TiVo. I'm willing to reconsider if they have fantastic features that I can't resist.. Swapping 6 HD DVRs won't be cheap though. :eek:

Sadly, I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

6. Jan 16, 2011 #6 of 669
    landscapeman

landscapeman New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Florida
    I am hoping that they release it soon. But if the features do not match my HR24, I guess it will be a flop.

7. Jan 16, 2011 #7 of 669
    dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I guess you weren't among the select few. There was no mention that any of them were press.

8. Jan 17, 2011 #8 of 669
    Colby

Colby New Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Anyone have a lead on a feature comparison (with either D*TV box or current TiVo)?

9. Jan 17, 2011 #9 of 669
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    We have almost no idea what TiVo features will be in the new box that are not in current DTiVos, other than SwivelSearch and KidZone.

10. Jan 17, 2011 #10 of 669
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
  11. Feb 16, 2011 #11 of 669
    Adonsa

Adonsa New Member

May 29, 2005
    San Antonio, TX
    Hi Gimp,

May I respectfully suggest taking bets on:
    -- Release of a Direct-TV Tivo HD by the end of May with odds of about 20:1 that it won't happen.
    -- Release of a Direct-TV Tivo HD by the end of 2011 with odds of about 10:1 that it won't happen.
    -- Release of a Direct-TV Tivo HD within the next 10 years with odds of about 2:1 that it won't happen.

There's been occasional hype that DirecTV and Tivo get along now. Well, that's wonderful! What has happened (besides the low keyed hype) to substantiate that? What good has it done Tivo subscribers?

If there really is a Direct-TV Tivo HD, even on the drawing boards, why has the delay been so long?
    Apathy?
    Too difficult to design the circuit board?
    Too difficult to write the software?

Why is it too technically difficult to design an interface to allow a non-DirectTV Tivo to have connectivity with a [non-Tivo]Direct-TV receiver?

Thanks

12. Feb 16, 2011 #12 of 669
    litzdog911

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Adonsa:
    See the link I posted previously in this thread. There's plenty of discussion there about the relationship between DirecTV and Tivo and why things have taken so long. Regardless of all that, it's looking like the new DirecTV Tivo is getting closer. Finally.

13. Feb 16, 2011 #13 of 669
    bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Not to mention isn't there pretty good confirmation that it is currently in beta testing?

14. Feb 16, 2011 #14 of 669
    DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    When I had my HR24s installed back in December, the installer told me that he had been told they could expect to have the DirecTV HD Tivos ready to install (i.e., on the trucks) in June of 2011. Take that with whatever grain of salt that you will.

15. Feb 16, 2011 #15 of 669
    Adonsa

Adonsa New Member

May 29, 2005
    San Antonio, TX
    Thank you Litzdog911, BigPuma, and DreadpirateRob,

Thank you for taking time to reply; I much appreciate!

May I suggest, that beta-tester invitations be sent out to Directv/Tivo users, who have been experiencing frequent reboots?

Thanks again!

16. Feb 16, 2011 #16 of 669
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Suggesting here does no good. TiVo and DirecTV are handling this beta - who knows what the selection criteria are, though it seems one had to at least register with TiVo's beta program. (Doing so was no guarantee of being selected, though - as I know.)

17. Feb 17, 2011 #17 of 669
    litzdog911

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    I think the window for beta testers closed several months ago.

18. Feb 18, 2011 #18 of 669
    TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    I'll believe it when I see it. That's like saying "The iPhone 5 will be like no phone you've ever seen", and I would be pretty skeptical of that as well. There has never been a phone unlike one never seen before other than the iPhone 2G in June, 2007. Every phone since by every manufacturer has been very much like a phone we've seen before, including each successive permutation of the iPhone.

To keep that analogy going, at the same time the iPhone was light-years ahead of every other phone (the first few months or more after its release) the pre-eminent platform for HD content was without question the HR10-250. There were other DVRs, and other phones, but none were anything even close to these industry giants.

But time passes, and now many phones suck, and many phones are the functional equivalent, arguably even better, than the iPhone. Likewise, Tivo doesn't appear to have anything revolutionary up its sleeve, and competitors have caught and passed it. IMH(personal)O, maybe even lapped it a time or two. For Tivo to unveil a true premium DVR, a HR2x killer, is nearly impossible at this point. But more power to them, even if we are still talking about vaporware and a prototype laboratory-curiosity prop at CES.

It is nearly impossible to top one's self. Out of a billion movies, the only sequel that comes to mind is Godfather II, and that was hardly revolutionary. Jimi Hendrix was revolutionary, but even he never had a song or album or performance that was revolutionary once we had already seen what he could do. Is Justin Beiber revolutionary? Hearing his music, shall we all just go erase our Beatles libraries from iTunes?

I think Tivo blew its load at v3.1.5. Nothing since has been anything other than incremental, and mostly useless added bloatware features, which they stumbled badly with beginning around v6.3. Mind you, a once wonderful tech company with no money and the wolves at the door can possibly come back from the dead, but the one time that comes to memory involved Steve Jobs, of which there is only one. Its also hard to be revolutionary regarding a technology that is nearly dead in the first place and about to be replaced by VOD and file-based streaming.

But I would love to hear you fan-boys on the forum tell me "I told you so". It would be worth it to be that wrong about something that seems so obvious.

(BTW, folks who could not get or tolerate AT&T reception didn't hold out, they went out and BOUGHT A DIFFERENT PHONE. You Tivo holdouts should take that to heart. Never stop eating filets because a Porterhouse is unavailable--you might even develop a taste for filets.)

19. Feb 18, 2011 #19 of 669
    slydog75

slydog75 Not all that sly

Jul 8, 2004
    Warminster, PA
    IMO, The Dark Knight was better than Batman Begins.

20. Feb 18, 2011 #20 of 669
    Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Does not compute.