Directv Tivo Hughes HR10-250 Needs Software Update

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by CheriB, May 30, 2011.

1. CheriB

CheriB New Member

May 30, 2011

Advertisements

(I apologize in advance if the answer to my question is already within your posts somewhere but after more than an hour of searching my head hurts)

I replaced my dying Samsung Directv Tivo with a Hughes HR10-250 that I bought off of ebay a month or five ago. The HR10 has 6.3 software on it, whereas, my Samsung had 6.4... I am DESPERATE for the 6.4 and most of the retards at directv can't even understand that I have a "TIVO" Directv Receiver (rather than "Directv DVR" Directv Receiver) much less are they able to instruct me how to force a software update. :mad:

PLEASE, PLEASE someone tell me there is a way for me to force this update and tell me how. PLEASE!

(*Note: While, I am not completely ignorant still keep in mind that I am just an average house wife/mom and not a super electronically savvy girl who can go taking this thing apart and replacing pieces or any of that before you suggest I replace hard drives or circuit boards or something technical :p)

Thanks!!!! :D

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I've never had a D'TiVo before, but I believe I read it some where that updates are done using a phone line.

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Cheri,

There is not a way to force the update. The updates are received over the satellite but not applied until the box phones in to TiVo to "authorize" the update - this is done so that everyone doesn't update at once.

However, the 6.4 update is no longer being sent in the satellite stream and no amount of forcing calls will help if your box does not already have the update stashed away. There is no way to tell if this is the case without "hacking" the box (something I gather, from your message, is beyond where you want to go.)

So the result is that there is no way for you to get 6.4 on this box now, short of removing the disk and using a PC to load an "image" of a 6.4a disk onto it. These images can be purchased from dvrupgrade.com - they call it "InstantCake". The process of doing this would wipe out all recordings and preferences on your TiVo.

4. cbessant

cbessant New Member

Jun 9, 2004
  5. CheriB

CheriB New Member

May 30, 2011

Advertisements

Steve, you are breaking my heart here!!
    Can you tell me what exactly "hacking" entails? I mean, I can be pretty handy but don't want to screw it up... so what is the likely hood that I will break it?

How hard is it to remove the "disk"? How expensive is the "image"?

I really want the update but do you think it is worth it to do either of these?
    Do I need something special to preform either of these tasks?
    Would you be willing to walk me through either/both of these tasks?

Thanks!! :)

6. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Cheri,

If all you want is 6.4 on the TiVo and don't care about losing any recordings or settings, then the process is like this:

1. Open the TiVo box and remove the hard drive (requires some Torx screwdrivers).
    2. Connect the drive to a PC's internal IDE adaptor - many recent PCs don't have this - you can buy a USB-IDE adaptor for about $25 from various sources such as newegg.com.
    3. Purchase a copy of "InstantCake" for your model - this is a downloadable CD image (.iso file.) Cost is $40. Using CD burning software, burn the image to a CD. While DVRUpgrade does sell CDs already made, they don't offer one with 6.4a.
    4. With the TiVo drive attached to the PC, insert the CD into the PC and boot from the CD - it will run independently of your PC's operating system and walk you through the steps to load the TiVo image onto the disk.
    5. Replace the disk in the TiVo and close the case.

If you are comfortable with replacing a hard drive in a PC, you can do this. If you aren't, perhaps you know someone who can do it for you.

7. Jun 6, 2011 #7 of 13
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    What's so much more magical about 6.4 than 6.3?

8. Jun 6, 2011 #8 of 13
    stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I think that's the one that enables remote recording, which is quite nice.

9. Jun 6, 2011 #9 of 13
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    I think 6.4a might also have the Daylight Savings Time fix. Not sure anymore.

10. CheriB

CheriB New Member

May 30, 2011
    6.4 began the quick delete feature, where you could simply hit clear on your remote to delete stuff and not have to confirm on the next screen. Also the quick record feature that works much the same way. Most importantly it offers the "recently deleted folder" so that if something is accidentally deleted you can retrieve it from the recently deleted folder.

I still do NOT have my darn update and doesn't look like I ever will unless one of you very nice people want to come to my house and take care of that for me!!! Seriously, prettttty pretttty please :(

I am becoming so frustrated I may just burn the box in my front yard!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

11. CheriB

CheriB New Member

May 30, 2011
    Oh, it also offers clipping of shows so that if you're recording on both tuners and one stupid show runs over 5 mins rather than losing the whole next hour because of the previous show you can just lose the first 5 mins of the second show.... HELP!

12. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Cheri, where do you live?

13. lawnmowerdeth

lawnmowerdeth Drunk

Jan 11, 2003
    MO
    It does.

I had to rebuild an HDVR2 almost a year ago, all I had was a 6.2 image. I connected it to the phone line, and it STILL has not upgraded. I'm not paying $40 for an instantcake CD to fix that. If it was still $20, I might have.

I just have to live with it being an hour off for two weeks in spring and fall.