DirecTV - TIVO Functionality ... neutered?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by oregondean, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Dec 8, 2011 #1 of 99
    oregondean

oregondean New Member

Dec 4, 2002
    This box does not play YouTube, PPV Direct Cinema, or support DTV's Whole Home DVR service. Sounds pretty neutered to me.

FWIW, I do not use any of these services enough for it to be a bother to me, but a modern day box that cannot do these basic things implies very poor DTV integration.

I use the eSATA port on the DTV HD box for a very large external drive and while the new TIVO box has an eSATA port I am worried it may not even allow for expansion.

I miss my TIVO but chose to go HD. I think I'll wait until a few of you early adopters see what else is missing and perhaps what might be unexpected feature additions before I buy.

What do you think?

2. Dec 8, 2011 #2 of 99
    dirk1843

dirk1843 I'm your huckleberry

Jul 7, 2003
    Northeast...
    Even with all it's "neutered" features, in the end, they are just EXTRAS to what this box was always built to do, be the best DVR out there. Period.

Unless it does something radically wrong in that department, it will be one of the family that produces the best DVRs.

Extras are nice, and there are a couple I would miss....such as Pandora and NetFlix, but nothing could be taken off a TiVo platform that would overshadow the one huge positive, it is still the best DVR our there.

YMMV

3. Dec 8, 2011 #3 of 99
    mleland

mleland New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Westwood,...
    And you get to pay 5$ a month more for the opportunity to have that Tivo DVR without some of the features available on the DTV HD DVR.

Checking my account on DTV,com I would pay 199$ for the unit + 6$ a month lease fee(as you can't own it!) + 5$ a month tivo feature fee.

If you are totally in love with the tivo interface then you will be happy. I guess.

I just can't justify 5$ a month beyond everything else to get a DVR that does less than what I have now. If it at least did MRV I would probably get one. It wouldn't even have to work with the DTV flavor of MRV.

YMMV

4. Dec 8, 2011 #4 of 99
    oregondean

oregondean New Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Best at what? ... I've got great HD, DirectTV service, a user interface I have adjusted to, and an expanded external drive. The only thing I am missing is TIVO - and yes TIVO is awesome (perhaps even awesome enough on its own to overcome the other limitations when I make a buy/no buy decision).

My question/concern, however, is why several years after the first DTV HD boxes is basic DTV functionality not there? It's not rocket science to port code and semiconductors from one box to the next. TIVO is software, not hardware - this box apparently is not built on a DV platform. Looks like a very poor TIVI/DTV partnership to me. We've been down this path before.

This "new" box appears to have dead end expandability to integrate into a full DTV experience.

5. Dec 9, 2011 #5 of 99
    nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    DirecTV specified what features this box would have and what hardware it would run on. Even when DirecTV and TiVo were closer partners DirecTV always excluded features that were included in other TiVo products. DirecTV excluded most of the networking features from the original boxes in the same way.

6. Dec 9, 2011 #6 of 99
    Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Yes. Absolutely. However (and this may seem to contradict what I have said elsewhere), I'm not claiming that Tivo had no voice on the subject of _all_features, and I do believe they may have been negative on one or more of them. But for what I, and most, regard as the important stuff, and definitely on accessing programs from other household Tivos or DVRs and "to go," I've seen no evidence, none, zero, that Tivo is responsible for the crippling.

DirecTV says they (DirecTV) set the specs. DirecTV clearly tells key audiences that it's their (DirecTV's) box and that Tivo follows their orders.

I'm NOT arguing with you. Some people tonight seem to think I'm arguing. I'm just saying, here, that Tivo seems to have had some input, however minor, on _some_ features.

7. Dec 9, 2011 #7 of 99
    dirk1843

dirk1843 I'm your huckleberry

Jul 7, 2003
    Northeast...
    You said it yourself.....what you are missing is TiVo.

It isn't one feature or menu. It is the basic DVR user experience that TiVo somehow managed to get pretty much 100% dead on the first time, everyone has been playing catch-up since.

However, the fact that they have the best DVR out there, dosen't mean they have a product that is 100% marketable. Boxes with cheaper or no monthly fees have flooded the market.

Are they good enough for me, no. For most people.....yes it seems.

To each his own....lots of people balk at paying a monthly fee to TiVo to "watch tv". I refuse to pay a 100+ cellphone bill to "talk on the phone".

8. Dec 9, 2011 #8 of 99
    fasTLane

fasTLane Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Very well put. :p:up:

9. Dec 9, 2011 #9 of 99
    johnd01

johnd01 Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Sacramento ca
    What does the new tivo do that my HDVR2 did not do? well I will give you HD. but I think I would rather have Tivo Web/ MRV than HD.

10. GKevinK

GKevinK New Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Aside from the now standard TiVo features that DirecTV is afraid of letting them include (so their homebrew concoction won't look bad in comparison)... the thing that concerns me is whether the new compression format will also make other standard features (like slow motion or the 30 second jump) also unusable. Oh how I wish that they didn't have a monopoly on the NFL out-of-market broadcasts.

11. Davisadm

Davisadm TiVo is awesome!!!!!

Jan 18, 2008
    SoCal
    DTV has held us hostage for 3 years since the original announcement of DTV & TIVO "working together again". A joke! DTV has raped TIVO and put out a product that is missing key features of the DTV DVRs. I belive this is a deliberate attempt by DTV to make TIVO look bad so customers start praising their DVRs. Think about it, why else would DTV release the HR34 on the same day? They have no interest in providing a quality TIVO product (and at a premium price). And remember, this "new" DTV TIVO is actually a DTV DVR running TIVO software, so it will most likely be just as sluggish as the HR22. I can't imagine why TIVO is so desperate to agree to this. Only the DTV version of TIVO is missing key features. Look at other TIVO products, the Premiere, XL, and Elite. They offer most of DTV's features. The Premiere Elite is very comperable to the HR34. I am a long time DTV customer, who is probably going to finally drop DTV. I will get a Premiere Elite, and a couple of Premieres. And I will own the equipment. With that I will have most of what DTV has, including multi-room viewing, an iPad app,, and lots of online content (Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu Plus, BLOCKBUSTER On Demand), but at about a $30 a month savings over DTV. YES, unfortunately, it will be cable.

12. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    . . . And Michale White's utter UNenthusiastic and even indirect diminishing comments regarding his coming DVR's and DirecTiVo product. Even the comparison chart on the DirecTV page that is supposed to tout the new DirecTiVo has the effect of making the new TiVo product appear easily inferior to DirecTV's DVR's. Only an attitude of sabotage could explain that inappropriate comparison chart. Please, check it out yourself and see if you don't think it isn't designed to shy you AWAY from TiVo and on to DirecTV's new Media Center or Whole Home DVR's.

If DirecTV really wanted to support the TiVo, it could have put all the TiVo deficiencies next to an asterisk at the bottom of the page in small type, like they and others, including TiVo, do. :).

13. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Not desperate, just incompetent. This is not your father's Tivo, Inc (and even then it had problems). Today it's lawyers and smiles and old technology that's good only because nobody's been quite able to catch up.

14. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Wow. Really??? :eek:

15. Cabinwood

Cabinwood Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 11, 2000
    North Georgia
    I have been waiting a long long time for another HDTivo, but without the Whole Home DVR won't even think about it. This is such a disappointment to me :thumbsdown:

16. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    And yet, as the other poster pointed out, TiVo's own retail products remain arguably superior to DTVs. A company with no other means of support has been able to remain the best DVR in the market for over a decade. This, in the face of competition from companies many times their size. Not bad for a bunch of incompetent lawyers.

TiVo made a deal with DirecTV in good faith because they prefer to offer a product rather than just collect license fees. Given their experience with Comcast they had the sense to put a few more guarantees in the deal. I suspect that the deadlines and guarantees that were included are the only reason we're seeing a product now.

I suspect that DirecTV has been dragging its feet every step of the way. Now having met their minimum obligations, I expect that they will offer TiVo another amendment to the deal to postpone a full national release (which will carry additional obligations for promotion) in return for a new deal. They'll ask TiVo to restart the development cycle for another product (which they'll make sure remains crippled relative to their own products) in return for postponing the national launch.

It's funny that DirecTV fans, many of whom landed with DirecTV because they hated their evil cable companies, seem to be reveling the DirecTV's bad faith dealing and disdain for offering their customers the best possible product.

17. Matt L

Matt L New Member

Aug 13, 2000
    Flushing, MI
    DirectTV tossed you guys a bone and you are spitting it up.

Having been a very big TiVo fan in the past I've checked in here from time to time to see what is gong on. Everyone seemed to be enraptured with interface and they had to have it regardless of the the other options. So, now it comes out and it does not do everything the "other" D box does --but it does have the prized TiVo interface, and what do I see---complaints. I recall reading many many comments about how just as longs as it had the TiVo interface everyone would be happy, well I guess not.

Sure, D could have made it compatible with it's other receivers, that would have been nice, but for what ever reason they decided not to -- it's their company, their decision. I pulled the plug on my last HR10-250 a year ago and it had been sitting there in the rack for a year and I never used it, I guess I was able to move on. Quiet honestly, I really fail to see just what is so captivating about the TiVo interface, yes it was well done, but so is the new HD guide on the D units. Sure it's a different look and feel, but everything changes, does you current TV have vertical and horizontal hold controls, fine tuning? Do you miss those?

My point? Take the olive branch D gave to the very small subset of sub's and be happy with it, but don't expect more or better, at this point it is what it is.

18. squiddog

squiddog New Member

Feb 5, 2002
    I hate the DTV interface on their standard and HD DVRs so much, I'll be happy with Tivo. I'll be happy to pay the $5 a month for their service too, as I want to REWARD a good company that pays attention to details.

I ordered my DTV TIVO on the 8th. I found out about the release a few days before when I was ordering an HD DVR for another room in the house.

The DTV TIVO replaces a Hughes SD-DVR40 that I've had for years.

19. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    QED. You'll take what DirecTV gives you and be happy with it. ...or like me you could just pull the plug on cable from the sky and enjoy a full featured TiVo experience with some other programming provider.

Some DirecTV fans are reacting to this product like pod people who have discovered an intruder in their midst. :D

20. squiddog

squiddog New Member

Feb 5, 2002
    So, let's say my only other programming provider is Comcast cable. And, like many other people in California, I'd been scr*wed over many times by Comcast with horrible cable service and horrible customer service.

While I know that the digital service of today is nothing like the standard analog service of years ago, I refuse to put any more money into Comcast's pocket. Ever. That's why I switched to DIRECTV in around 1999 and haven't looked back.

I'm glad you can get a better Tivo experience than I can. But that's no reason to p*ss in my Cheerios.