Directv Tivo DVR to DVD recorder

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Cookala, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Cookala

Cookala New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    I haven't seen this discussed here so I hope someone can help me. I have a Hughes Model HDVR2 Tivo DVR. (only 35 hrs of recording time) It's just about full and I would like to transfer about 25 hours of programs to my JVC DR-M10 DVD Video Recorder. There is no easy way to do it! I used to easily transfer programs to a VHS player/recorder...so what's the difference??? Must I go back to VHS tapes in order to save my programs? I need help fast! Thanks.

2. GrondramB

GrondramB New Member

Sep 2, 2005
    It should be straight forward. Just hook one of the outputs from the Tivo to the inputs on the DVD recorder. Adjust your DVD recorder so that you are seeing the live Tivo signal passing through the DVD recorder. Start playing the show on the Tivo and hit "record" on the DVD recorder.

If you have additional problems just post here and I'll help or we'll get somebody who knows more than I.

3. Cookala

Cookala New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Thanks for replying so quickly. I'm REALLY dense when it comes to this kind of thing (no surprise, huh?). I tried doing what you said, using the white and red connectors, and I still don't see the Tivo signal on my TV screen (Toshiba). In fact, I tried playing one of my DVDs and don't even see IT on my TV though it indicates that it's playing.

I guess I should mention I just pulled this DVD player/recorder out of storage. I wish I had never disconnected it in the first place but a dear friend thought he was doing me a favor by giving me a new DVD player (sans recorder) a few months back and I let him go ahead and change them out.

This whole thing may be way over my head.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    The red & white cables will carry the audio signals, but you also need a composite (yellow) or SVideo video connection.

Start by getting the DVD Recorder to play properly with your TV ....
    * DVD Recorder audio & video outputs connected to matching TV inputs
    * Set TV to view the connected input

Then connect the Tivo to your DVR Recorder's audio & video inputs ....
    * Tivo audio & video output connected to matching DVD Recorder inputs
    * Set the DVD Recorder to view/record its external AV inputs

5. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Disconnect the new DVD player from the TV and hook the old one into where the new one was.
    Perhaps your TV doesn't have enough inputs to have everything hooked up at the same time?

Red/white is just audio, you also need the yellow hooked between the TiVo and the DVD recorder (or the SVideo in place of the Yellow)

Other than that, you just pretend the DVD recorder is a VCR and record away.

phox

6. Cookala

Cookala New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    You're right (of course). The red and white are plugged into the audio ports. I'll have to locate the "composite yellow or SV connection you're talking about and give it another try. I'll be back if I have a problem. Thanks a million, guys.