Directv screwed me again!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by DBCooper, Feb 17, 2011.

1. DBCooper

DBCooper New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    Montgomery,...

Advertisements

I canceled my DirecTV service right after the super Bowl. I've been a customer since 2003, They annoyed me at the time, (see http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=464314) but now they have made me MAD. Not only did I not get the ~$50 refund I was owed, they charged me $264!

I had no commitment remaining. No one mentioned a disconnect fee. When I called today, they agreed that was the case. Just a "mistake." A $300+ mistake! They finally agreed to refund the charge and send me the balance on my account. Grudgingly.

Why are all the DirecTV errors always in their favor? If I ever get out of their clutches, I promise NEVER to use DirecTV again as long as I live.

PS: I switched to Netflix at $12 per month. Two Blu-ray discs a week and all the TV and movies I can download.

2. cartouchbea

cartouchbea New Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I sincerely doubt anyone is going to go on a tirade and complain about DirecTV errors that benefit them.

3. sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    Freakin' DirecTV!!!! They give me service I'm happy with for a price I find acceptable!!! ARRGGHGGAGGG!!!!

4. egkor

egkor New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Texas
    Those Ba$tards! :):):)

5. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...

Advertisements

Time to hijack another plane?

6. EscapeGoat

EscapeGoat wPod TCF Club

Oct 11, 2008
    When I canceled service they told me they would send me a box to return their DVR, and that if I didn't return it withing 14 days, they would charge me for the DVR. Thirteen days later they charged me for the DVR, three days after that I received the box to return the DVR.

When I called to complain they said they would reverse the charges, in a month or two, because while they were able to make charges to my card right away, giving a credit would take weeks.

I expected this since they had pulled the same trick when I returned a defective DVR a couple of years ago.

Other than trying to rip me off on hardware returns I got pretty good service from DirecTV. If I ever want to spend too much money for TV service again, I'd probably sign up with them.

7. Noland

Noland New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    Stories like this are why I won't ever have another piece of DTV equipment.

I have four series 2 units that I will continue to use. They were purchased back when purchases were still permitted, but I will never lease a unit from them or anyone else.

8. texasPI

texasPI Member

May 9, 2010
    Ironically, my cancelation experience was a positive one once I got them to agree to let me out of contract due to a change in terms. I had braced myself for the bogus charges I thought they'd hit my credit card with but it never happened. I returned their recievers and they charged me my final amount and that was that.

I'm surprised I was able to get out of contract without penalty, I'd read it was next to impossible to do. They fought me hard and it took an hour of back and forth but I did it. :up: Then I immediately jumped into a contract with Dish :rolleyes:

9. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
  10. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
  11. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    What those Consumerist posters don't know if how DirecTV gets access to your checking account. I wanted to ePay exactly one bill for my mother. The only way you can send one, one time payment is to agree to eBill and automatic deduction from checking account from that point forward.

12. DBCooper

DBCooper New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    I am still waiting for the OP refund from DirecTV, money they have owed me since their 9 February error. On the third call they finally admitted their error, but it took a fourth call 14 March to get them to actually schedule a refund. That's when I got an email saying my AmEx would be credited with $300. Well, that was NOT what they owed me. The total was $314.51 including the $250 "early termination fee" (after eight years of service on purchased receivers!) More phone calls later they agreed to the total amount and said it would take 30 days to process the refund. I have yet to see a dime.

Actually, in between all of that, I got a bill for $4.00 for PPV charges that they found on the cards I returned. Never mind that the charges were made a year before I owned the receiver. It took two calls to get that charge removed. In retrospect, that was a miracle. I guess they see little benefit in a $4 ripoff if they have to answer phone calls about it. It was one of those "maybe they won't notice" charges.

Isn't is strange how they can charge you in error the very next day, but it takes ten weeks to correct their mistake?

PS: They now tell me that they will NOT replace the cards they stole from me. If I sell the receivers, the new owner must buy new cards at $20 each.

13. DBCooper

DBCooper New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    No tirade required. How about reporting just one instance? Face it, there never has been one.

14. Ilovetorecord2

Ilovetorecord2 New Member

Mar 21, 2000
    South San...
    If you are talking to someone that you are not happy with and use a tone of voice as such, you will treated accordingly.

I have always had to pay for the cards everytime I have activated a old receiver and I have lots of them. The card has nothing to do with the value of the receiver from my point of view as I have always going back maybe 10 years had to pay for a new card for my receiver. When I bought the receivers card or no card was not considered to me as to whoever I bought the receiver from. But I think most of the units I bought were from members from this forum.

I don't recall also about any committments to directv in the last several years or contracts for me. I had left Comcast in 2000 or near to that time as they had came out with new boxes that my vcrs could not control as I do not and have not watch lived tv since almost 1985.

Directv is not worse than Dish or Comcast as they all have some way of trying to get us to part with our money. I am not saying that I am a big lover or Directv either. One of my boxes started have problems with the picture and I get a new hard drive and installed it and called Directv and since the box had no RID it could not be activated so I had to find a box that did since I did not want to go to Directv box. All my tivos are hacked and my wifes is not. Once I cannot use my boxes I am not sure what I will do.

I am not a big fan of Directv, not Comcast. Best thing to do is not get so worked up over things. I was going to drop Directv for AT&T until I found out that AT&T cannot give me what i have now which is 3 directivos (1 R10 directv) for 6 lines and so we would lose the option of me or my wife not being able to record which was not acceptable plus the fact I hacked my tivos and have large drives in them with much more space than I would get with AT&T.

I don't care for Comcast, AT&T nor Directv as I have found they all have problems which we have to try and work out way through.

Good luck.

15. DBCooper

DBCooper New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Call number thirteen to DirecTV today because the PPV charge showed up on my account again! They promised to remove it March 8th and after yet another call on March 14th, it actually did disappear from my account on line. Today I got a statement in the mail confirming they still owe me ~$318 but the PPV charge reappeared and will be subtracted from what they promise to return to me on 14 April. I called and was connected with "May" whose accent is not in my book of memories.

She had the audacity to tell me that she couldn't remove the charge from a closed account and I would have to re-activate it to get the charge removed! It is really difficult to determine if these people are idiots or they think that I am an idiot.

I explained to May that I had called DTV twelve times already on the matter of what they owe me and eleven of those times the agent lied to me. I suggested that she not repeat that mistake. She put me on hold and, a few minutes later, as if by magic, she said she has removed the charge.

We will see on the 14th exactly what really happened. I have little faith that May was truthful.

As to ILOVETORECORD2's comments about tone of voice, I can assure him that DTV agents will not hesitate to hang up on anyone who gets rude. I suggest that he simply shut up unless he actually heard the conversation. I get enough crap from DTV without another load from the gallery..

16. Ilovetorecord2

Ilovetorecord2 New Member

Mar 21, 2000
    South San...
    I was not trying to against what you are saying so your comment is not needed. I have unfortunately spoke like a jerk a few times to customer service.
    Good luck.

17. snickerrrrs

snickerrrrs Tech-no Guide

Mar 30, 2006
    Southern...
  18. DBCooper

DBCooper New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Unbelievably, DirecTV has found another excuse to delay payment. They were supposed to refund the erroneous $300 charge plus 18 days of February on April 17th. (Don't asked why it took two months.) Now, after call number fourteen asking where the money is, they say that since I called them on March 29th, the dispute clock was reset and they have another 30 days to send me my refund! God only knows what will happen after my call today asking where my refund went.

Meanwhile, despite promises by two agents, they have yet to remove the $4+tax PPV charge for 11/06/2008, a date when I didn't even own the receiver in question. This charge resulted from their current insistence that the activation card be returned when service is canceled, something they were not doing when I bought the receiver.

Needless to say, at no time did I ever see an invoice reflecting exactly what was charged and why. When I canceled, all my invoices and payment records on line were deleted and since then all I have received is a statement by mail.

My advice to one and all is NEVER to give DirecTV your credit card. Better yet, never do business with them in the first place.

I've called my credit card company and disputed the charges. They promised to reverse the charges on 20 April if DirecTV has not done so by then. But that never should have been necessary.

19. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    And to think I was considering going back to DirecTV if they ever sold a box with TiVo again. I must have been out of my mind.

20. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Be careful! You probably have a new two year committent each time you call.

DirecTV settled with the AG of most states over this fraud. Call yours and let them know that they have an unreformed defendant.