Directv says new dish will not work with DirecTiVo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by hojbjerg, Jun 29, 2006.

1. hojbjerg

hojbjerg New Member

May 5, 2004

Advertisements

I am moving and been trying to make use of the movers connection program, but Directv is giving me a hard time.

First time I called they told me that I had to replace my DirecTiVos - I told them that did not want to replace.

Second time they told me that the new satellite dish is incompatible with my DirecTiVo and that I have to bring my old oval triple LNB dish to the new house. Now we already sold the house and the dish follows the house.

To me it sounds like they are bs'ing me - can anyone confirm that the new dish antennas are incompatible with DirecTiVos?

Thanks
    J

2. Hersheytx

Hersheytx New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Dallas
    Gee, I am sure I remember seeing the Directv commericial about moving......wait, it was on their infomocial. They stated point blank that you did not need to bring your dish. It was part of the idea you were safer if you did not have to get on your roof to pull it down.
    As for the new dish not working with your Directivos....That is BS. I have 2 friends with the new dish and all of their Tivos. No problems at all. They are pulling your chain.

3. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Active Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Series1 DTiVos won't work for locals on the 72.5 dish, other than that your DVRs will perform as normal with any dish.

4. disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...
    Are they talking about the new 5 LNB (AT9) dish?? If so, they don't know what they're talking about...I have it and it works just fine with my two DirecTiVo's.

5. Tekki

Tekki New Member

Apr 26, 2004

Advertisements

to receive the locals from 72.5 using a AT9 dish you need an MPeg 4 receiver which we all know series 1 is not.

if your locals are on 72.5 then the CSR is correct, when you move you wont receive them unless you change your Dtivo to a Mpeg 4 DVR

if your locals are not on 72.5 than you are fine, and the CSR is just another CSR misreading thier guide or just plain out FOS.

6. hojbjerg

hojbjerg New Member

May 5, 2004
    I am not sure where my locals reside, but my locals worked on the old 3 LNB dish.

My area is Rochester, NY (14612)

Thanks
    J

7. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Active Member

Oct 6, 2003
    You don't need the AT9 or Mpeg4 receiver for 72.5 locals these are SD Mpeg2, infact you need a second round dish. AT9 is for the New Mpeg4 HD locals.

8. disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...
    Then you'll be fine with your TiVo's on a 5 LNB dish.

9. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    This sounds like you are stating that to get locals from 72.5 you need Mpeg4. You don't, I get my locals (Burlington, VT) from 72.5 with a Dtivo just fine, although it's a lot of wiring (6x8 multiswitch).

10. SeattleCarl

SeattleCarl New Member

Nov 10, 2005
    What is true is that your Tivo will not be able to see all 5 of the satellites that are available with the AT9 dish. But that is not important.

What is not true is that your Tivo won't work with the AT9 dish. It will work just fine as it has no need to see the two new HD only (MPEG4) satellites.

I see no reason though why D* can't have the installer put up a round or oval 3-LNB dish unless they simply don't have any. You don't need the AT9 dish, but can use it.

Carl

11. Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    I am moving in about a month. I already called to set up teh appointment and they said nothign about any dish incompatibilities. Personally, I hope they give me an AT9, at least I will be ready for anythign that comes up in teh future.

I have 2 HR10-250s, one SD DVR40 and a standard receiver in the guest room. I am more afraid that the installer will screw somethign up.

12. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    The locals on the 72.5 satellite are not mpeg-4, only HD locals are mpeg-4. Any non series 1 DirecTiVo will work fine with the 72.5 satellite. The series 1 can not generate the proper signals for the multiswitch for the 72.5 satellite.

13. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    You need to talk to a different CSR at DTV. You got unlucky and they connected you to the Village Idiot.

14. dishrich

dishrich Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Are YOU one of these same CSR's??? You evidently don't understand how the 72.5 bird works & that it has NOTHING whatsoever to do with the AT9 dish or MPEG4 receivers... :rolleyes: :confused:

15. willardcpa

willardcpa QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Feb 23, 2001
    Eugene, OR USA
    Did you include the wheels as well?? :D