DirecTV replaced my Tivo w/ their DVR...

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by artzfartzy, Jul 31, 2007.

1. artzfartzy

artzfartzy New Member

Jul 31, 2007

Advertisements

Direct TV replaced my Phillips Series 2 Dual Tuner tivo with a Direct TV dvr. One of the tuners stopped working, it would still record while watching the other tuner, but you couldn't watch 2 tuners (flip back and forth, rewind, etc.).

So the tech came to my house and changed the outside box that connects the 3 tivos. When that didn't work, he changed the dish, then when that didn't work, he changed my tivo receiver to a Direct TV receiver. That worked... EXCEPT they aren't the same thing!!! The software is atrocious, it is not intuitive and doesn't do the same things that tivo does. It's as if dvd technology was removed and I was given an Eight Track system!

I called Direct TV and after talking to a supervisor, was told I could buy a tivo for $100 and they would deduct it from my bill. Great, EXCEPT that tivo online doesn't sell a dual tuner tivo. I want my tivo!!!! I'm thinking of asking them if I can have my old one hooked back up, I prefer it to the "new & improved".

Does anyone have advice for me????

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Ebay...

They have not made any new DirecTiVo's in almost 2 years now..
    And discontinued sales of the SD version about 18 months ago, and the HD one about a year ago.

3. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Your options are to purchase a Directv/Tivo unit from EBay, by finding someone that is selling one, or the Odd Retail Stores sells them occasionly.

Please be aware of the "Owned" and "Leased" problems.

4. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
  5. artzfartzy

artzfartzy New Member

Jul 31, 2007

Advertisements

What does the "Owned" and "Leased" problems mean?

6. cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI
    Circuit City has some new SD Samsung units for sale on their web site

7. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    "Owned" you own the unit, its yours to do with whatever you please, upgrade, hack etc etc. When you switch to a New Company, you keep the equipment.

"Leased" you lease the unit. Are tied into a Longer term commitment, and when you switch, you must return the unit, or be charged a fee for Non Returning it.

If you hack the unit, upgrade etc, you basically lose all that.

Currently Circuit City has a Series 2 Directv/Tivo unit available. brand new, WOW!

But, in getting the unit, you must sign up to a further 2 Year Commitment, and when you leave or whatever, the unit must be returned to Directv, or you will be charged a fee.

Also, with any unit, as John T Smith has mentioned, ALWAYS get as much of the unit information: Serial Number, ID Number, Tivo Number etc etc for any unit before you purchase it, and MAKE SURE you can add it to your account no problems. :D

8. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Yea, and a New 2 year Commitment to go along with the "Leased" units. What a great deal.

You purchase the unit, are tied into a New Commitment, and then must return the units at the end, or pay another fee on top of it.

May as well go EBay, purchase the same unit cheaper, have no commitment, and keep the unit to do whatever you want with.

9. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    or you could give the new unit more than an hour tryout before you decide.

You never know, you may like it. ;)

Me, I would want all the units to work off the same remote system. Not sure if the new ones can handle three DVR's in the same room like I have now with my HD Tivo's.

10. sloan

sloan New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    try and find a used unit. using craigslist, I can usually find one in about a 3 week period.

buy local, and ask the guy if he'll stand behind it.

when you want to activate it, YOU WILL NEED TO GET A NEW ACCESS CARD TO HAVE IT LISTED AS "OWNED".

they might activate it with a used card, but it will list the unit as "leased".

To move it from leased to owned, my experience (6 times now between me and my parents accounts) is that you have to get the new card, then they'll make it "owned".

It would be a good time to check dvrupgrade.com and get an InstantCake and put in a 250, 320 or even 500 GB harddrive.

11. fulman68

fulman68 New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    I have 2 Directv Tivo boxes sitting in the Closet ...