DirecTV Plus HD DVR

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Monkeybiz, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Monkeybiz

Monkeybiz New Member

Jan 13, 2005

Advertisements

DirecTV and Intel are joining forces to produce the DirecTV Plus HD DVR -- which we first heard about all the way back at CES -- allowing viewers to check out content via the interweb when connected to a Viiv PC. In addition, there will be a new software update for DirecTV subscribers by the end of the year that turns subscribers' set-top-boxes into digital media adapters, the companies said in a press release earlier today.

New here but I thought that was newsworthy even if it isn't TIVO. Check out engadget or CNET for more info.

2. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Wow.

Be sure to let us know when any of that happens :rolleyes:

3. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    Read the real article a C|NET and not crappy engadget. DirecTV and Intel are not making a new DVR. It will be a software upgrade from the HR20 that will allow it to talk to a Viiv server. It will only allow users to access photos or music stored on their PCs, not movies or television.

There is no way DirecTV could release another DVR in the 4th quarter this year.

4. Monkeybiz

Monkeybiz New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Yes, a bit misleading, the quote came from engadget but it is the existing DirecTV HD DVR Plus (HR20-700) they are talking about. Sorry for the confusion but I wasn't sure myself. I also belive VIIV is something you can't build and have to pay through the nose for. DirecTV has sucked enough money out of me for now. I'm enjoying my H10-250 but didn't get the deal I hoped for in the end.

5. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...

Advertisements

Anyone intrested in the discussion at the Sister Site...
    [ducks while people throw things, for me re-directing again]

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=65364

We still don't know if it "has" to be a ViiV computer or not yet.
    It was after all announced at an Intel event.

6. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I have been able to do this with a Dtivo for years.

*yawn*

7. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Only if you hacked it.

8. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    At least one *can* hack it, unlike that new junk-box.

9. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Well, good news then, because later in the year it sounds like you 'll be able to stream music and photos to the HR20 without hacking. Everyone's happy. :)

10. reh523

reh523 New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Waa Waa (Artie Lang)

11. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Sounds fine, but I'll hang on to my hacked Dtivo boxes until I make the jump to cable next year.

And if that HR20 streaming works from a Mac, I'll eat one of my TiVos.

12. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    You've used the HR20-700 or you're just going on assumptions?

13. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I've used one this past weekend. Besides the fact that the over-compressed MPEG-4 HD-lite looks like ass, it is a horrid little box to use. If I want to press colored buttons to do things, I can go back to 1995 cable boxes.

Besides, I can't upgrade it with a bigger drive. I can't hack it to do things I want. And I'm not staying with D* anyway, since their picture quality sucks. It's really sad that a 1950's antenna gives me a better picture than a freaking satellite in orbit.

14. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Time to do some more reading... as of right now.. you can drop a 750gb hard drive in there... with no need to connect to a PC...

And soon you won't even need a Torx driver either....

15. GadgetFreak

GadgetFreak New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    At CES, they said that they were going to release SAT cards for Viiv PC's. Is this instead of that or in addition to?

16. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    In addition too

17. herdfan

herdfan New Member

Feb 5, 2003
    Hurricane, WV
    But maybe just an eSATA drive? ;) :D

18. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Ultimately... yes... it will be as simply as plugging in an eSATA drive.

19. bbodin

bbodin New Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Houston
    well I don't want to defend the HR20 as I believe it's utter garbage. I don't own that box, but I own it's SD sister in my daughter's room and the thing is so un-intuitive its darn near unusable (no more pushing buttons on the remote by FEEL without looking down and saying "ok, now which button do I need to push?"). It also is just as slow with a lot of recordings on it as my HD Tivo (pre 6.3 release).

All that said, your complaint about over-compressed MPEG4 HD doesn't match what I've heard. All initial accounts were the HD locals being broadcast in MPEG4 were identical to the eye to OTA (at least if you trust guys like Ken over at AVS forums).

20. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    First: R15 <> HR20 Sure the GUI is the same, for the most part...but after that...that is where the similarities end.

And I am sure no one, that first picks up a TiVo remote, can push the correct buttons without looking at them....

I can navigate the DirecTV receivers without looking at the remote, just as much as I can with the TiVo remote.... It just took time to learn the new remote layout.