DirecTV or Cable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Okeemike, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Okeemike

Okeemike Tastes like lemons

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Ok, here's my problem. I REALLY want to stick with TiVo, however, I've got DirecTV and do not want to lose my dual tuners. Now, it's my understanding that TiVo will be coming out with a dual tuner model in the near future, so I could go with cable, however, it appears that I'll need a digital cable box in order to get the higher numbered channels. So, does anyone have a solution that would allow me to go with either Satellite or Cable, AND let me access all the channels that I want AND let me keep the dual tuners?

I know I'm asking for a lot, but I have been spoiled with my DirecTivo for the past 5+ years, and can't imagine going to a single tuner.

2. Okeemike

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL
  3. Gregor

Gregor save the princess save the world TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    I don't know if HD is in your picture, but I'm using the Comcast HD DVR with dual tuners. It's no Tivo, but it's a reasonable interim solution. As soon as I get a HD Tivo, it's getting kicked to the curb.

4. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago

Don't mean to highjack here, but did Comcast let you pick up the DVR or did they make you have it delivered by a technician?

5. Okeemike

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL

According to that video link, the Series 3 is HD.

6. jmace57

jmace57 Large Member

Nov 30, 2002
    San Marcos, TX
    I have 2 Series 2 SA TiVos (connected to satellite boxes) and 2 DirecTiVos. I just picked up a HD PVR (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD) from Time Warner locally. My plan is to keep this (for HD) until the TiVo Series 3 or next generation HD PVR from DirecTV comes out. Month-to-month "rental" so I have flexibility.

Jim