DirecTV Now work on TiVo Bolt? CC on Bolt?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by kenarcia, Feb 21, 2017.

1. kenarcia

kenarcia New Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Finally "cut the cord" and now using only HD Antenna and DirecTV Now (streaming).

Does DirecTV Now (app) work on the Tivo Bolt? Just bought a Bolt and plan to upgrade the hard disk as well (did that years ago with Series 1).

Thanks for any tips on using DirecTV Now.

Also, is there closed captions on the TiVo Bolt or do I use the settings on my apps? I'm deaf.

TIA
    Ken

2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    No DTV app available for the Bolt.

There are closed captions. Some apps have their own built-in CC support, some apps use the Tivo's settings automatically.

3. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    From a fellow closed captions user (also deaf), when you are watching a broadcast recording (ie, antenna), you use the CC settings in the TiVo. When you are watching anything streaming, the stream has to provide captions, thru the app. IOW, if you're watching Netflix, and it's captioned (not all are), turn on captions in the Netflix app. The TiVo caption settings have no effect on Netflix, or any other streaming service.

4. seadooxp3

seadooxp3 Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Come on Tivo, its time to get DirecTV now app in Tivo

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Sure would be nice if TiVo's accessibility improvements, especially toggling Closed Captions by holding the "B" button, would be uniformly applied to apps developed for the platform; plus discrete IR codes for enabling & disabling captions.

6. CIR-Engineering

CIR-Engineering Video Calibration & Electronics Repair Engineer

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...
    Yes, I just got screwed by this lack of support yesterday. TiVo blames DTV and DTV blames TiVo.

ESPN and ComedyCentral would also be nice.

craigr

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Did DirecTV provide any backing for their claim? How is it TiVo's fault that DirecTV hasn't written an app for the TiVo platform?

If TiVo is blocking such OTT services from developing apps for the platform, to protect TiVo's MSO customers, I'd love to hear it.