1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV Now service at launch

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by wco81, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Nov 29, 2016 #1 of 251
    wco81

wco81 Member

Dec 28, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    Here's an article on DirecTV Now, including summaries of other articles about the features and limitations, comparisons to other OTT services:

The limits of AT&T’s DirecTV Now: No DVR and limited ability to pause live TV

No DVR functionality (maybe next year), no CBS or Showtime, no live streaming of broadcast networks except in some markets.

And certainly no word on a roadmap for 4K streams.

I've heard that Internet delivery is their ultimate roadmap, that D* won't launch any more satellites and presumably won't develop and deploy any new DVRs for the satellite service?

If that happens, programming costs are sure to go up. Networks may be willing to take lower fees for DirecTV Now since it's an ancillary service. But if it becomes the main TV service for AT&T?

Plus you figure for customers who get Internet from another company, data caps would be issues, especially if they ever put 4K channels and raise the per-account streams limit from 2 to something more realistic like 5 or 6.

The product would be more attractive too if it didn't have limitations like not being able to get NFL streams on phones (or maybe mobile devices too?). Or else I would imagine a lot of people here would want to make sure they can attach something like a Sling Box so that they can stream some of the content that they're paying for out of the home.

Now if they put DirecTV Now clients onto things like Tivo or other third-party DVRs, then you would solve the problem of missing DVR features as well as place shifting.

Or will consumers just accept the loss of a lot of features and content they've grown accustomed to for a low, limited-time introductory price?

2. Nov 29, 2016 #2 of 251
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    This is why I think TiVo needs to get on the ball and integrate one of these OTT services with an OTA DVR. Local channels are the biggest hurdles in these OTT skinny bundle services, so being able to record your locals OTA and get the rest of the "cable" channels OTT just seems like a smart way to go.

cybergrimes and dman014 like this.
  3. Nov 29, 2016 #3 of 251
    thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    No DVR
    No NFL Network
    No beIN Sports
    No Showtime
    No CBS
    Two streaming limit
    Not available on Samsung Smart TV
    Not available on Android TV
    Not available on Roku

..... no reason to have it.

Just my two cents.

tim1724 and BRiT wtfdotcom like this.
  4. Nov 29, 2016 #4 of 251
    sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    Darn, it's looking like a flop (initially at least).

5. Nov 29, 2016 #5 of 251
    Jim1348

Jim1348 Member

Jan 3, 2015
    Time will tell how successful this is. It is one thing to read about the service on line. It is a totally different thing to use it and get experience with how well it works in the real world. I will wait and see on this.

6. Nov 30, 2016 #6 of 251
    wizwor

wizwor Member

Dec 17, 2013
    These OTT packages are a good option for people in markets where a premium provider is very expensive, alternatives exist for high speed internet, for a viewer willing and able to erect an antenna, and in the case where specific 'cable' channels are a roadblock to cord cutting.

That's a pretty narrow niche.

I tried PS Vue, which was very good, had a lot of channels, and supported three concurrent connections (for those with no PS3/4). The problem is that there was nothing on television (for me). The reason I signed up for the trial was because our OTA broadcast of the local CBS was off the air and I wanted to watch football. It turns out PS Vue uses an antenna feed, so I was not able to watch on Vue.

Once you figure out how to get cable to your televisions without all the boxes, it becomes much less expensive. Seems like these OTT challengers are up against it.

7. Nov 30, 2016 #7 of 251
    MikeBear

MikeBear Active Member

May 21, 2015
    Mid-Michigan
  8. Nov 30, 2016 #8 of 251
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Member

Nov 1, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    I signed up for DirecTV Now myself. Took the 3 month deal for the free Apple TV. Can always use another one for the spare bedroom and it came out $50 cheaper than buying it in a store. Plus 3 months of DirecTV. Win-win and I can always simply stop the service if I don't like it. It would be really nice if Tivo gets DirecTV Now. That would be sweet.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    JBDragon, KSOC Kid and tim1724 like this.
  9. Nov 30, 2016 #9 of 251
    Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Unlikely that either SlingTV or DirecTV now will come to TiVo given TiVo's relationship with DirecTV and DISH.

10. Nov 30, 2016 #10 of 251
    thyname

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    Please let us know your impression on interface, guide, etc. etc. Thanks!

11. Nov 30, 2016 #11 of 251
    sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    Which reminds me - does anyone know where DirecTV gets its guide data from? Surely not Rovi.

12. Nov 30, 2016 #12 of 251
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Rovi, and don't call me Shirley. :D

Our Customers | TiVo

tim1724 and wizwor like this.
  13. Nov 30, 2016 #13 of 251
    sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    Roger that :-(

14. Nov 30, 2016 #14 of 251
    Random User 7

Random User 7 Incognito

Oct 19, 2014
    Signed up to get the free Apple TV to sell it to pay for the first three months. App crashed, can't login. It was working a bit but interface was hard to navigate on FireTV. Video quality of live TV was good but streaming on demand was poor. Locked up continuously with paused video but still audio. Finally gave up.

At least it was free.

15. Nov 30, 2016 #15 of 251
    Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Works fine on first gen. Fire TV box here.

16. Nov 30, 2016 #16 of 251
    thyname

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    I did it too. Prepaid one month with free Fire TV Stick (I already have Apple TV)

Have been playing with it.

Positives:

Great picture quality. Better than Verizon FIOS and satellite Directv , and even my OTA
    Slick interface . I like how you go channel "up and down" with Apple TV touch remote
    Fast
    Good discovery info and navigation

Negatives:

Crashes a lot. Maybe overloaded servers, as many people are trying it at launch, since there is 7 days trial
    The only network available was FOX. I knew CBS was not going to be there, but could not find ABC and NBC. Strange for such a major metropolitan area (DC)
    Not having DVR is a major "no" for me to keep it, but we already knew that
    I could not even get it started on iPad app. Kept spinning

Neutral:

Not having channel numbers will take quite a while to get used to. I am used with the channel numbers all my life. There is a way too put Favorites on guide, but still. Obviously, this is my first day, so I have to do quite a bit of exploring

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  17. Nov 30, 2016 #17 of 251
    Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    So now you have DirecTV, FiOS, OTA, and DirecTV Now?!? WOW! Anyway, they only have O&O stations, not affiliates, as those have to be licensed individually. Good to know about PQ.

18. Nov 30, 2016 #18 of 251
    thyname

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    Yep. Crazy, right?

Here is why:

Got a great deal with Verizon Triple play a few months back. About $120 a month including taxes for Ultimate package, phone and 100/100 Internet. Was paying more for Internet and phone only with Cox. Deal is good until May 2018.

Cut Directv to bare minimums. Still getting the discounts. My directv monthly cost is now only $17 a month after the discounts. Directv is out in a few months when my contract is over. Genie line sucks, especially compared to Tivo

OTA is free (obviously), great quality for picture, and get to use with TiVo

Directv Now is only until 1/6/17

Needless to say , things may change. I am open minded.

Or am I just making an excuse?

19. Nov 30, 2016 #19 of 251
    TeamPace

TeamPace Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ohio
    How did you sign up for the free Apple TV deal? I'm looking at the Directvnow site and I only see a link to sign up for the free trial which requires I start filling out information. Does that link eventually give me the option for the 3 month commitment to get the Apple TV?

20. Nov 30, 2016 #20 of 251
    celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    i was wondering how you got your apple tv box the same day you ordered directvnow,did they give you a coupon to print out to take to your local best buy or target?