DirecTV is stealing from my family!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by rkrajnik, Sep 17, 2007.

1. rkrajnik

rkrajnik New Member

Sep 17, 2007

Advertisements

DirecTV stealing from my family...

I had cancelled my DirecTV subscription back in January 2007 (we sold our house and were in the process moving.) At the time I was encouraged (forced) to put the account on "hold" ("trust me, sir, there are noe charges for doing this...")

What do you know?!?!? My account was magically reactivated without my consent and then I get a bill for $170, past due, for "services" on the Tivo box I purchased from Best Buy, which DirecTV claims was a leased box, though no mention of "lease" on the reciept from Best Buy. So, they also want a $150 early cancellation fee for the DVR that I bought, and want it returned!

We had planned to renew with DirecTV once the house was ready (this past month) but it's amazing that they can jump the gun like this and get away with it! Anyone have similar experiences with these theives? thier customer service was rude to the point where I was told to "shut up or hang up"...

Any recourse in your expereince? My lawyer is looking at this but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

2. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    You are obviously upset, so it is hard to judge without knowing all the facts, but I don't think they are stealing from you. They may be guilty of dubious practices, but theft is a VERY strong accusation!

First, when did you buy the DVR?. Second, how can your account be "reactivated without your consent"? If your account is on hold and there is a chance of you returning as a customer, then it's doubtful you'll have to return anything. Was there a time limit on how long your account could be "on hold"?

I'd call again and talk (nicely) to another CSR. We are all used to playing CSR roulette around here and know that who you speak to makes a huge difference to how you get treated and what you get out of the call. If you really are planning on reconnecting your service, remember that it will probably involve a two year commitment, but I'm sure a decent conversation will probably result in a favorable solution and maybe even some freebies to make up for your troubles.

Oh, and I wouldn't start the conversation by calling them "thieves" either!

3. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC
    Are you sure the spouse didn't reactivate the account and forgot to tell you? And Tony is right - was there a limit on how long they would leave it on hold or did you say that it would be reactivated at a certain time when the house was done? And there was a "cutoff" on when the boxes would "become" leased, not sure of the exact date but yours may have fallen in that time frame. And no one can "force" you to put your account on hold if you really want to cancel it.

4. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    "Holds" have a time limit on them, I thought it was 9 months... but very possible it 6 months.

You can't put your account on indefinent hold.

And recently they have been going through and auditing most accounts, especially those on "movers hold" and other suspend type accounts.

As for the "lease" it wouldn't be on the receipt... it would have been explained to you at the time of activation.

It also could simply be a mistake, and as the other poster recommended...
    Call back and see if you can get it all straighted out.

5. MurrayW

MurrayW Murray

Aug 28, 2005
    Austin, TX

Advertisements

I am wondering why you are asking about this on an internet forum if you already have your lawyer looking at this. I am not sure what your lawyer charges, but I would have guessed it would more than $320 that DirecTV says you owe. If it's not too late to call your lawyer off and not have to pay him, then I would do what the other posters said -- call back ask for retention, stay calm and see if you can work it out with another CSR. If it is too late, then let your lawyer handle it. Either way I am sure you can work something out that dismisses or reduces the $320 DirecTV charge.
    Good luck!
    Murray

6. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    As others have said, there is a time limit on putting the account on hold.
    You said it was in January 2007. Well since the time is 6 Months, then it would of re-activated July 2007. It is now September, so I bet that is what happened. So NO Directv did not steal from you.

With the DVR from Best Buy, did you even read any Terms or Conditions at the time of purchase? i bet not because as was the case recently with some Directv/Tivo units that Circuit City was selling, they most probally are "Leased" units and Directv is 100% correct in doing what they have done.

So you owe a $320 Bill. Well its simple. Pay the $170 you owe, and reactivate service at the new House. This will remove the $150 for the unit.

If you talk to Directv I am sure you could get the $170 removed if you stay calm, do not start calling them Thieves, and talk to the right people. Directv CSR's are only Human to.

But going to the Lawyer is fine if you have alot of Money to throw away. Not only will you still owe the $320, but you may as well double or triple that with all the Lawyer fees. And you will be no better off anyways.

:D

7. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    I had the VERY same thing happen and I received an explanation from DTV as this was due to change in their customer agreement last spring.

My situation is that I HAD NO service comittment and with a limited income, I had a basic DTV package which I paid monthly however when I couldn't afford it, I would simply have my server intrupted until I paid the past due bill. This was understtod by both me and my rural electrical Coop who did my inital DTV install, it was a good agreement, I paid when I could which was the majority of time, if money was tight, then all I received was the 101 preview channel until I got the more important things caught up with, then with paying my past due, service would be restored by a simple online payment; all of this with no issue.

Well due to them changing the service agreement in the spring, they reserve the right to collect any past due if you have a credit card (debit card) number on your account. .

In a nut shell, once you have used a CC number with directv, they now keep it and should they determine that you are past due, they take on themselves to charge it to recover the past due even without auto-payments;

I changed my CC number to a gift Visa card so that they can't have exclusive access to my bank account.

Silly OP, don't you know that Directv really need your family's money??? They are hurting for money too and shame on you for thinking about your family when the stock holders are getting less profit than the projection predicted!! Do you know how it costs to put those new birds in orbit not to mention how expensive it is to drop a perfectly working good DVR system and make your "inhouse solution" ??? To feed and give your family a place to live is not nearly important!!

8. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    It would not surprise me. Directv's customer service and practices are no where near where the used to be.

9. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    It sure sounds like stealing to me. DirecTV should have called you first telling you they were planning on reactivating your account. They are getting to be like bullies more and more every day.

10. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    They could, but how i read it is the OP had sold his or her House and was moving to another. Did Directv have the new Phone Number to your House, or perhaps you kept the number?

Or do they have a Cellphone Number to contact you?

If they only had the Old number, and you had no access to that number anymore who is to say they did not try and contact you?

11. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...

That's pretty lame. There are all kinds of ways to notify a client. At the very least they ought to leave the account dormant and have the customer call back when they are ready to reactivate the account in a case like this. Either that or just terminate the account. To charge an account without permission is stealing, and clearly they did not have permission.

12. vigfoot

vigfoot New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    litchfield, CT
    why can't D simply inform its customers of their "account suspension" policy when the customer asks to be put into suspension?

i requested my acct. be suspended for 2 months more than a week ago and have an email to confirm the stop and restart dates, yet my service continues. :confused:

13. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    How about just sending you a bill each month with no balance but at least telling you that you have X amount of time to have your account left on suspension?

Also, it would be nice for Directv to tell you that you have X months of commitment left on your account?

Giving the customer informative data to help them make decisions would be nice and would let them know that you are not trying to be deceptive.

But they probably look at it more like if I know that I have 2 months left on my contract... I might plan to go to another company.

14. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    According to you they did not have permission. Read into the terms and conditions of a Suspended account. It clearly states in them what Directv can and cannot do.

With most major companies, just giving them your CC Number gives them every right to charge the account or card. I know for a fact Cingular does this. My Wife is fighting something very similar. She paid her Account by Credit Card, and told them do not charge the same card again. The next Month .... wow they charged it even after she told them not to. Why?

Read the terms and conditions. So we did and sure enougth it was there in plain language. Just by paying by Credit Card over the Phone gives them every right to charge the same card again. In fact, just by calling the 1 800 Number it gives them the right.

So after going into OD because of them, and $250.00 later with fees, 3 other OD Fees etc etc we have learnt our lesson. Guess what...... We paid all we owed, settled the account, and the phone now sits in the bottom of the trash can :D

15. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I disagree. These agreements are always one sided and depending on the Credit Card Company... they will reverse the charges because you did not actually authorize the payment.

16. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    LMFAO. Well try telling our Bank that. As far as our Bank (And it is a well known Bank) is concerned "You gave them the CC Number, they have every right to do as the agreement says".

Even you yourself have stated: "Depending on the CC Company".

So you disagree with my statement, but then agree with it depending on what CC Company it is.... LMFAO.

:D So which is it?

17. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Depending on your CC you might need to do a little more work than just gripe about it but it is not an authorized charge... you authorized the 1 charge... not every charge until the end of time.

And you know... if you CC does not help you out with something like this... then maybe you should throw that POS away. :rolleyes:

18. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Well it also appears that Tivo also does this practice:

Tivo automatically charges CC without Permission

Read the part here, and the Post above it:

"So, if I understand, if I do nothing, Tivo will ding my credit card for the monthly?

think i'll stick with the S3 with the lifetime sub.

thanks,

don"

As for Magnus. We have talked to the Bank over the Phone, emailed them, and even gone into the Main Branch 3 times. And yet, same answer. We also talked to our Family Lawyer, same answer. It is an Authorised Charge according to their own Terms and Conditions period.

19. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Which is why and I said this: That the POS now sits at the bottom of the Trash Can. :D

20. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    The bank and the phone if ya ask me.