Directv HR10-250 questions

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by zumadog, Jan 12, 2006.

1. zumadog

zumadog New Member

Oct 18, 2005
    I have recently purchased and installed a Directv HR10-250 PVR. As a former user of a Tivo Series 2 unit I have a couple of questions concerning the operation of the new 250 PVR.

1. On the Series 2 unit I could organize the Now Playing list with folders and individual recordings; for instance - I could have a listing for Charlie Rose, and then clicking on that title, would see 4, 5 or whatever number of recordings listed. Now I see all of the recordings jumbled about the screen and can only seem to organize them by date, name, or alphabetically etc. Can the older Series 2 way be implemented on the 250 PVR?

2. Is there any way to adjust the recording quality? If there is I can't find it.

3. Are there backdoor switches?

4. Many listed shortcut operations which work on the Series 2 unit don't work on the Directv unit.

5. Is there a complete FAQ on just this HR10-250 unit posted somewhere on this forum or elsewhere?

As a recently converted Dish subscriber, I am quite pleased with the performance and features of this unit. I'm now just trying to fine-tune it.

2. SleepyBob

SleepyBob Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2000
    Wisconsin
    1. I think the older Series 2 trick of (S)ort (0) (R)ewind (T)humbs up will order the recordings alphabetically, but no folders are available.

2. No. Every recording is Best quality, and takes the space of a Basic recording, thanks to the magic of $50,000 mpeg encoders at DirecTV.

3. bpratt

bpratt New Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    That trick does work on the HR10-250 except while displaying the "now playing list" enter: slow 0 record thumbsup

The only other backdoor thing I implement is the 30 second skip. While viewing a recorded program enter: select play select 3 0 select

4. thepackfan

thepackfan Member

May 21, 2003
    Plano, TX
    We like having the clock on, sel ,play,sel,9,sel. If 6.2 ever shows, folders will probably be included( I know not much chance)

5. TheBigDogs

TheBigDogs Member

Oct 14, 2004
    The various backdoor capabilities are covered @ http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=122090

The FAQs, are covered @ http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=151443

Questions that get asked:
    Can I record OTA and Sat at the same time - yes

Can I view (as in PIP) both inputs at the same time - no, and for the most part you can't hook the HR10-250 up to two TV's to watch the same show at the same time unless you are using the S-video or component outputs

How much should I pay for the HDMI to HDMI/DVI cable - nothing they come with the HR10-250

Can I record the same (or a different) show in SD & HD - yes......and at the same time

When will we get the 6.2 update, i.e. older Series 2 software - not in this lifetime

Do I have to accept a 2 year commitment when I added the Hr10-250? - yes

When will the LiL DVR be available - sometime in the next 2 to 18 months

Can I get MPEG4 broadcasts on the HR10-250 - with the right dish, yes - you just can't view them

How do I get the Digital Sideband stations (2.1, 2.2, etc)? Press the channel # then the "jump" then the second number(s)

What is the best price for an HR10-250 - somewhere between $1k and -$10... even D* doesn't know what to charge.

When will I get my rebate - see answer to question on 6.2 software above

Where can I get info on OTA tower locations? - www.antennaweb.org and http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/programming/broadcast.php

What's the best OTA antenna - whatever works

Hope this is helpful.