DirecTV HR10-250 HD Tivo Obsolete?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by imccubbin, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Jan 4, 2006 #1 of 22
    imccubbin

imccubbin New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Hello,
    I have a quetion for those of you out there who are learned in the subject. I currently subscribe to DirecTV and have a standard stand alone series 2 TiVo DVR. I was considering upgrading my existing TiVo unit to the Hugues HR10-250 HD DVR so I can get HD programming in the near future and be able to record one channel and watch another. BUT from my understanding, (something I read online somwhere), DirecTv has desolved there partnership with TiVo in favor of comming out with there own DVR equipment. What is worse is the fact that supposedly, DirecTv will boadcast its HD programming in a signal format (MPEG4) which the Hughes HR10-250 cannot decode into HD. I sent an e-mail to Driectv asking about this. All I got was a form letter that said that DirecTv will continue to suport the DirecTv DVR with TiVo and standalone DVR with TiVo service, but they did not mention wheather or not you can use the HR10-250 to recieve HD signals now or in the future.
    Ivar

2. Jan 4, 2006 #2 of 22
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    The HR10-250 HD DVR will continue to receive and record all of DirecTV's standard and HiDef MPEG2 channels, which should be around for a few more years. It will also receive and record your local over-the-air HDTV channels forever.

What it won't be able to do is receive the new DirecTV MPEG4 local HDTV channels, which are gradually rolling out across the country in major cities during 2006 and 2007. But this should only be an issue for you if you cannot receive your local HDTV channels with an antenna.

And, if you decide you want to replace your dish and HR10-250 when those channels become available in your area, DirecTV has stated that they will offer attractive upgrade/replacement programs for older equipment.

3. Jan 4, 2006 #3 of 22
    chrpai

chrpai Goodbye DirecTV

Nov 1, 2005
    Cedar Park, TX
    I would describe it more as a dead-end product then an obsolete product. For example where the 6.2 upgrade for this box?

4. Jan 4, 2006 #4 of 22
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The 6.2 upgrade is on DirecTV's shelf, where it is likely to stay.

5. Jan 4, 2006 #5 of 22
    chudel

chudel New Member

May 9, 2005
    This brings up a question I hadn't considered. Could I get the HR10-250 HD and unsubscribe the Satellite locals in favor of OTA HD locals? Ie: Can you order "Total Choice" (no locals) + "HD" package?

PS: When will DirecTV throw in an XM receiver a la Dish/Sirrius' promo? :)

6. Jan 4, 2006 #6 of 22
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...

Sure... There would be no reason why you can't.
    But... You will then lose SAT locals on ALL your recievers (if you have more then one)

XM Promotion.... Probably in the works, since XM is basically giving away their Roady2 unit all the time now.

7. Jan 4, 2006 #7 of 22
    chudel

chudel New Member

May 9, 2005
    Thanks Earl!

Soooo, what is the cheapest that I can get in to the HR10-250 HD for? I see they sell at weaknees for $579 less $200 DirecTV discount. Which is still a little steep. :(

Thanks,
    Chris.

PS: These are really, really unhackable, right? So I'd be giving up the MRV,HMO options of my current DTivo?

8. Jan 4, 2006 #8 of 22
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    The R10's are really unhackable, unless you are willing to do some hardware surgery to the unit.

The HR10-250s can be "consumer-aided" to do aditional things.

$499 is about the best I have been seing for the HR10-250, as DTV is starting to be a lot less "giving" with the credits.

9. Jan 4, 2006 #9 of 22
    jcricket

jcricket New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I think "dead-end" is a good way to describe it. And "unsupported" might be a good addition. At this point, given what I've read about the R15 software base that will be used for the HR20 MPG4 DVR, I'm pretty much open to switching to the cablecard Tivo should it be at least as good as the current HD Tivo from DirecTV.

Pretty sad that while standalone DVRs (Tivo, MythTV, XP Media Edition) have all seen tons of advances (UI, functionality, networking, MRV, to-go), satellite + cable DVRs are moving backwards.

10. tambrose

tambrose New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Does anyone on this post use Vonage? I have been unable to make an outbound call on my R10 DVR and I callled Directv and he suggested I buy the new R15 which doesn't have to make an outbound call? any thoughts?

11. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    See your other post. I don't know if the R15's modem is more tolerant of VoIP than the TiVo's is. I use Vonage but I have my TiVos disconnected from the phone line.

12. imccubbin

imccubbin New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Thanks for your replys. I am still very disappointed that DriecTv has decided to try to come out with their own DVRs instead of keeping their partnership with TiVo. I have tried one of those cheap TiVo knock offs at a friends house and they don't hold a candle to the real thing. Most of the ones I have seen are just hard drive based VCRs, not much else. Other than the fact that DirecTv wants to try to get ALL of your TV dollars, I don't see why they can't keep TiVo. If companies like Comcast or Knowledgy come out with Tivo based DVR's, I will drop DirecTv. Someone posted something about a TiVo cable card. What exactly is this?
    Ivar

13. richardeholder

richardeholder New Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Utah
    I switched to Vonage and had the same trouble. Tried a number of options including calling a NY or AZ number, but they all failed until I picked up a couple of DSL filters from Radio Shack. Slapped those on the lines and presto it worked.

14. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    It is a lot easier to provide customer support for all those cool features you mention when you don't have 12 million customers. DirecTV and the Cable companies know better than to start acting like a startup with a few hundred thousand customers.

Do you really think DirecTV's mindless CSR's could handle the questions they would get if they enabled networking or MRV? When DirecTV agrees to add a feature it must be a feature that will directly increase sales without unduely increasing support costs.

It's unfair to compare the features that Myth or Tivo SA units offer with the features DirecTV offers.

15. bcronin

bcronin Member

Dec 28, 2001
    The...
    Are the NY metro HD locals already MPEG4? If so, then I presume that me getting an HR10-250 now would be a mistake?

16. bcronin

bcronin Member

Dec 28, 2001
    The...
    I heard a rumor that CableVision was planning to test market a dual-tuner cablecard TiVo-software based DVR. Although I have been with DirecTv over 10 years and have quite a bit of loyalty to the platform, the lack of some of the nicer TiVo refinements (such as dual buffers) in the DTV DVR software is a real show stopper for me. I'd *almost* rather forego HD altogether just so I could keep the superior TiVo features of my two SD DVR's. If CableVision offered a dual-tuner TiVo-based HD DVR, I'd have a very tough decision. I don't exactly consider CableVision a good company to have to deal with, but if DirecTv can't deliver equivalent functionality in their "new" HD DVR's that I've been enjoying for years, then I'd probably make the switch (although I'd obviously prefer to not to have to).

17. Tutman

Tutman Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I have 2 R10's and vonage. A year ago when I got the R10's I had absolutely no problems dialing over vonage to activate them. No filters, no special codes, just plugged them in and they worked right away. Since the activation, neither unit has been plugged into vonage and has not made a call in 343 days. I get the daily nag screen, but that is it. I was told by customer retention when I got the R10's that they would not work unless continuously connected to a phone line. I didn't believe them. I don't have unlimited vonage, so I don't want DirecTV wasting my minutes.

18. jcricket

jcricket New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    That's exactly where I am (except I'm in Comcast territory). I don't have any problems with DirecTV (per se), just with what they've (not) done with the Tivos they released and what they're doing with their new DVRs.

If the HR20 still has the same basic flaws as the R15, there's little chance of me moving to that platform. I'll look around elsewhere, and if there's another Tivo box from someone that can record HD, I'll go there.

19. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I love my HR-10 250. I will keep it until it no longer works. I get my locals OTA which is where most of the HD content is, I can't see a compressed signal coming off the satelite as being better that OTA. As for the other channels they look fine with the MPEG-2 compression, vs when they will be slightly better compressed.
    If it turns out that this new DVR blows and the Tivo service is discontinued before my 2 year contract is up and I refuse to purchase a new one, I wonder if I will be out of my contract?

20. toricred

toricred Member

Mar 8, 2004

The HR10-250s can't add the MRV option, but can do several things. I currently have one with 550GB of disk space that can be seen on the network and you can telnet and ftp to it. I'm currently selling it since I decided I couldn't live without MRV.