Directv HD PVR vs HD DirecTivo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ninjagator, Apr 19, 2009.

1. ninjagator

ninjagator New Member

Aug 10, 2003

Advertisements

I have a HP Directivo and I got an offer for there HD PVR for free with no contract. I am tempted. I have 2 separate questions so feel free to chime in on one or both.

1. What is the experience of using the PVR vs Tivo? Pluses/minuses?

2. Any reason to not take there deal of a free box and no commitment?

One down side is that I have a lifetime of tivo and I wonder if that includes there pvr.

2. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth MRV Junkie

Jun 14, 2005
    Fountain, CO
    There are a lot of HD channels, including HD locals, that require an MPEG-4 box, so that's pretty much a no-brainer, especially if they're giving it to you for free.

The menus on the DirecTV HR2x boxes take some time to get used to, but you will get used to them.

The hard disk on my HR21 began failing recently (only a year), and instead of having them send me another unit, I decided to plug a 1TB eSATA drive into it. The unit is faster now, and I have 3X the storage.

If you get one of their HR2x boxes, you'll want to peruse DBSTalk for information on them.

3. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    There are tons of comparison threads both here and at DBSTalk. Lots of info.

But basically:
    1) UI is different. Both have some features the other doesn't. You'll only know if you'll like it (or can put up with it) until you try it. Personally I like the DirecTV DVR interface better but that's just me. Of course 100+ more HD channels doesn't hurt.

2) If you can get one with no commitment there is no downside at all. If you don't like it you can still just use it for now for the massive amount of HD channels and get the new HD DirecTivo scheduled out in 2010. You can also keep your HD DirecTivo going, you don't have to deactivate it but you need to specify that so they don't do it automatically.

No downside on the lifetime. Lifetime DVR service is *per account* with DirecTV so it will also cover any non-Tivo DVRs you have. So you're covered. However I would suggest when you add a non-Tivo to leave your Tivo active for at least one billing cycle before you deactive it (if you plan to do so). And watch your bill in case they slip on the DVR fee so you can call and get it removed. Most CSRs don't know what the lifetime is so just keep an eye on it.

4. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    you might want to get that "no commitment" part in writing.

5. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

And even when you do read the "All work is satisfactory" little piece of paper and see if you can spot where in spite of what every person and everything you got in writing from DirecTV saying oterwise, you're agreeing to a 2 year commitment.

Then make one phone call to DirecTV to tell the slime that you're canceling.

6. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    i can't cancel, I love all the HD channels to much. Once I got use to the menus on the hr20, it does everything I need it to do. And if you happen to want 4 HD DVR's in the house, Directv beats everyone else on price.

7. sjberra

sjberra New Member

May 16, 2005
    Why? Just because you don't like them doesn't mean everyone doesn't.

8. ninjagator

ninjagator New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    Here was there email they sent me:

Important News About Your HD Service

Dear My name is here,

There is an important change to your HD service we want to inform you about.

Because we recently changed the manner in which we broadcast HD channels, several HD channels will no longer be compatible with your current HD equipment. HD channels including ESPN, ESPN2, HBO®, TNT, HDNet, and more will require the new HD-compatible equipment beginning later this year.

Please call 1-888-763-7772 today, and DIRECTV will replace your incompatible HD equipment FREE OF CHARGE, with no service agreement required. Mention the "FREE HD SWAP" and we'll get your replacement equipment set up as soon as possible.

Here are some additional benefits of replacing your current equipment:

• More channels in HD: The new HD broadcasting method will allow DIRECTV to deliver more channels in HD. We recently launched 130 HD channels with this new method, and more are coming soon.

• The latest equipment—FREE: The HD programming you currently enjoy—including NFL games, ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, HDNet, HBO®, SHOWTIME®, prime-time shows and major network events—will need the latest HD equipment to be viewed in HD.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We are working to continue improving your HD experience. Thank you for being a loyal DIRECTV customer.

If you live in a residential community (i.e. apartment complex) that uses a shared distribution system for all tenants, you may ignore this message. Your future HD upgrades will be handled by your building system operator.

9. sk33t3r

sk33t3r New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Houston, TEXAS
    There is a service agreement, they say there isnt on the phone but on teh directv site its in teh fine print