DirecTV HD local channels?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by katleman, Jan 6, 2006.

1. katleman

katleman New Member

Mar 11, 2005
    I've had my DirecTV TIVO for almost 3 years, and now that I have a HD set, I'd like to switch to an HD receiver with a DVR.

From what I'm seeing, DirecTV only has 8 HD channels, and the rest you have to grab from OTA. When will other HD channels, especially locals, be added to DirecTV? The directv website is decidedly unhelpful.

I'm so far away from the broadcast of HD locals, that I'd have to have one heck of a OTA antenna to have any hope of reeling in a signal. So I really don't want to bother switching until the locals are available on HD.

2. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I remember hearing something about some satellite that was supposed to be launched last October (???) that would give us all of the local HDs but I haven't heard anything sense.

3. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Start reading in the HD Forum.

HD-Locals are now available in at least 5 markets (that I can think off the top of my head), I think it is 8. DirecTV is expecting to have 36 markets up during the upcoming months/year.

They have been up already for at least 2 months now.

No DVR yet to use the MPEG-4 stream. That is the HR20, and is expected by Q2/2006
    The H20 reciever can recieve and view the MPEG-4 stream.

4. Fezmid

Fezmid New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Depending on where you live, you might be eligable for the NYC or LA feeds as well. I live in Minneapolis, and their FOX and CBS affiliates are "Owned and Operated" (meaning they're part of the parent company directly, instead of an independent). Therefore, I get the NYC HD feeds of both networks (in addition to the locals through my OTA antenna).

If you're out of range of the broadcast towers, you can get waivers as well. You might want to ask DirecTV if they can submit the waivers for you to see if you're eligable. Just call them up, ask for the "distant feed department" (I think that's what they're called), and see what they say. The worst that can happen is the networks say no :)
    CW

5. HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
    Earl --

36 markets by August.
    Double that by this time next year.

H