DirecTV HD Advice

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jentwistle, Aug 26, 2007.

1. jentwistle

jentwistle New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Hello. I have been a DirecTivo user for years and are now finally looking at DirecTV HD. I would love to continue to use Tivo, but I am thoroughly confused what my options (if any) are for DirecTV HD and Tivo.

Can anyone please enlighten me and give me some advice on how to proceed? I really don't want to use the DVR from DirecTV if possible, nothing I've seen compares to Tivo...

Thanks.

John

2. jentwistle

jentwistle New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Oh, and FIOS is now available in my neighborhood, so please take that into consideration with your advice.

Thanks.

John

3. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    There is NO option to use any TiVo platform, for DVRing the new DirecTV HD content.

4. Mark Lopez

Mark Lopez Just click ignore

Jan 1, 2000
    Hondo TX
    Isn't this sort of a contradiction? How can you say nothing you have seen compares, when you haven't used it? :confused:

5. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    he said "nothing he's seen compares to tivo", not , "nothing he hasn't seen compares to tivo."

I don't see a contradiction here.

it follows logic that he's asking for input on that which he has not seen, does it not?

/spoonfeed

6. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    If FiOS TV is an option for you, consider the new "TiVo HD" model.

7. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    If you want to keep TiVo, go with FIOS. Any upcoming HD channels from Direct TV will be in mpeg4. Even if you can still get an HD DirectTiVo, it will only be able to record mpeg2 channels. HD mpeg2 will eventually be discontinued by Direct TV.

On the other hand, if you can get all your local channels over the air and you're not interested in anything else in HD (HBO, Discovery, ESPN, etc.), than Directv is still an option, assuming you can still get the HD Directivo.

8. rmassey

rmassey Damn, these are fun!

Sep 5, 2002
    Colorado
    I'll sell you my HD DirecTivo, send me a PM if you are interested.

9. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Get FIOS and a TiVo HD or a Series 3 TiVo. You'll get the TiVo interface and real HD content, not DirecTV's fake HD-lite garbage.

10. Mark Lopez

Mark Lopez Just click ignore

Jan 1, 2000
    Hondo TX
    The first part of his sentence was "I really don't want to use the DVR from DirecTV ". Why would that be unless he has already made the assumption it would not compare with Tivo (the second part of his statement) even though he hasn't actually used it? So how can one say they have not seen anything that compares to Tivo, when they haven't actualy seen anything at all?

That's like me saying I would not want to buy any other brand of car because I have not seen any car that compares to my Nissan, even though I have never driven any other model. Perhaps it's not a contradiction, but it certainly defies logic.

11. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    When you're fortunate enough to have FIOS, life with Tivo is good. Even when Tivo and DirecTivo get back together, the DirecTV compression issues will remain.

12. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Again, you have no idea about MPEG4 HD but you keep posting this over and over and over and over and over and over and over.....

13. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I've seen it. On my own TV. With my own HR20. It sucked. I left DirecTV.

14. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    The magic incantation.

Bad downsampled HiDef video source compressed via MPEG4 will simply be bad video made even worse via compression. As is bad HiDef video compressed via MPEG2. It doesn't get better via compression; there is no magic.

Most people see source material compressed via MPEG4 as better than the same source compressed via MPEG2 (different, for sure) AT EQUAL FILE SIZE. But DirecTV is not going to give you equal file size; their intent is to give you even less quaiity, and smaller file sizes, by ratcheting up the compression even further.

The bottom line is that once the dust settles most DirecTV viewers will be watching pretty much the same satellite HiDef quality they get now. If they are satisfied with HiDef lite now they will probably continue to be satisfied with it. Though the compression artifacts are _different_ and may be noticed by a few.