DirecTV Dual Locals (2 markets of locals)

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by mrbillpsu00, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Jan 5, 2006 #1 of 18
    mrbillpsu00

mrbillpsu00 New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    I remember seeing a post here last November (can't find it now, and searching didn't yield anything either) about DirecTV starting to operate like the cable companies where you'd be able to get both local markets if you were near them.

For example, I'm just over the border between Wisconsin and IL. I am in the Milwaukee Market, but if I were on cable TV, I'd get Milwaukee and Chicago Locals.

Anyone have any insight on this?

2. Jan 5, 2006 #2 of 18
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    They are called "significantly viewed" stations close to your locale.

3. Jan 5, 2006 #3 of 18
    mrbillpsu00

mrbillpsu00 New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    OK - That still doesn't bring up anything on DTV's site...

4. Jan 5, 2006 #4 of 18
  5. Jan 5, 2006 #5 of 18
    HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
  6. Jan 5, 2006 #6 of 18
    crkeehn

crkeehn New Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Still nothing for our area. I am supposed to be eligible for Washington DC as well as Baltimore stations, however DirecTV has not yet elected to offer them.

7. Feb 7, 2007 #7 of 18
    jmahone

jmahone New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Annapolis, MD
    I guess this is can be considered a cross-post, but in searching for this topic, I found what I thought was the pertinent thread, only to find this one afterward.

So, I'll keep it short: I, too, live in between DC and Balitimore, and wanted to know what ever happened to DTV's rollout of significantly viewed local channels?

8. Feb 7, 2007 #8 of 18
    mrbillpsu00

mrbillpsu00 New Member

Oct 27, 2004
  9. Apr 6, 2007 #9 of 18
    Nutiket

Nutiket New Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Hmmm, I just moved to 21076 from 20850 and was stoked about adding the Baltimore Channels. Now I realize I really have traded my Washington stations for Baltimore stations. That won't make the wife happy. =(

10. tjperez

tjperez New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I think I would get both Birmingham and Atlanta locals if I had an elliptical dish that can get 119, but since I just have a round one pointed at 101, I can't get them.

11. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Your dish has NOTHING to do with this, as BOTH of these markets are on the 101 bird. Unless D* decides to specifically authorize & offer BOTH markets in YOUR area, you can only get the one you get now.

12. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    So "move" back to a 21076 address. DirecTV has no problem with differing billing and service addresses.

13. tjperez

tjperez New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Actually, I was doing some research on Lyngsat AFTER I posted this and I discovered that. I thought it was on a different one because I didn't see it listed in the program guide; I have an old receiver that shows the local channels in the 900's. Apparently, Directv hides the other channels.

14. crowtoo

crowtoo Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Nutiket:

Good luck getting a decent answer from DirecTV concerning significantly viewed channels. Back in October I contacted DirecTV to inquire about getting Baltimore locals in the Frederick area, to where I had just recently moved to after living outside Westminster and previously receiving Baltimore locals. I even quoted the FCC ruling that allows customers to receive the stations and gave them directions where to find the official ruling on the FCC's webpage.

Here is our correspondence:

My original inquiry:

Their first response:

I responded to their email with this:

And their response to me was:

So as you can see, two different customer service representatives never answered my question and I doubt if they ever even really read and understood my question. At this point I gave up and thus give my TV business to Comcast. :thumbsdown: I really wanted to move to DirecTV but as I told them not having Baltimore stations is a deal breaker for me. I don't understand why they don't/won't offer these staions as it would take no extra effort on their part and I've been a customer of several different cable systems in the central Maryland area and ALL of them have always offered both Baltimore and DC locals. Perhaps another member fo the board has more information than I do.

Chris
    crowtoo@earthlink.net

15. tjperez

tjperez New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    [​IMG]

So as you can see, you shouldn't have to do anything. You should automatically get them.

16. FavreJL04

FavreJL04 New Member

Nov 9, 2006

My market still doesn't have SD locals and everyone is now getting the HD locals so what I did to remedy their problem is this. I "moved" to the closest market that do have locals. That way i still get what I feel I should get based on what my cable system can offer me. If DTV ever asks me about it I will grace them with the same type of response they give in their emails. "I receive the local stations that my service address states I am eligible to receive" (of course never directly answering their main question).

17. crowtoo

crowtoo Member

Dec 7, 2005
    I agree, I shouldn't have to do anything. But DirecTV will not allow me to receive the channels that the FCC says I am allowed to receive. It doesn't even require ANY effort on their part. Both DC and Baltimore locals are on the same satellite, so their work is done. All someone has to do is throw a switch.

One would think in cases such as this they would want to offer the additional channels to help them compete with cable, which like I said has ALWAYS provided both cities local channels. I could understand if it was a capacity/bandwidth issue, but it isn't.

Chris
    crowtoo@earthlink.net

18. FavreJL04

FavreJL04 New Member

Nov 9, 2006
    I think I read somewhere that the satellite companies don't have to offer anything beyond the actual locals for the market. I agree though. Satellite companies should want to offer more than the competition. I guess mediocrity is satisfactory to most.