Directv Discontinues Legacy Premiere Pricing (no dvr fee)

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by texster, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Jan 8, 2010 #1 of 22
    texster

texster New Member

Mar 10, 2005
    Connecticut

Advertisements

I received a letter today stating that as of Feb 9, my account will be charged a $7/month Dvr fee.

After waiting for an hour to speak with a supervisor, I was told that they were no longer offering legacy pricing and that even though I have been a continuous Premiere subscriber since 2004, I would now be charged the dvr fee.

And what do I get in return? Sonic Tap instead of XM Sirius music channels.

Has anyone else had better success arguing with the brick walls at Directv?

2. Jan 8, 2010 #2 of 22
    bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    I wonder if this means an end to those with grandfathered lifetime DVR service.

3. Jan 8, 2010 #3 of 22
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    It shouldn't - that's a separate thing and harder for them to justify.

Didn't you have to be at some Premier Everything (or whatever) level to get the DVR fee exempted?

4. Jan 8, 2010 #4 of 22
    texster

texster New Member

Mar 10, 2005
    Connecticut
    Yes, you had be be "premiere everything" as of june or july 2007 and the dvr fee waiver was grandfathered. At the time the fee was $4, now it seems it's gone up to $7.

5. Jan 8, 2010 #5 of 22
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH

Advertisements

Now I remember: Total Choice Premiere.

6. rubybear

rubybear New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    I also got the letter saying I would no longer get my DVR fee waived, starting with my February bill.

I've sort of been waiting for that shoe to drop for awhile, now, as companies are looking for new ways to keep their income up.

Oh well, it was a good deal while it lasted (4 1/2 years for me).

7. oosik77

oosik77 TiVo Maniac

Nov 22, 1999
    Phoenix,...
    Tell them to cancel your subscription. I bet that would get them to sing a different toon.

8. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Careful with that advice. Lately we're hearing more instances where DirecTV simply says "fine, there's the door". Don't threaten to cancel unless you're prepared to follow through.

9. lancelot

lancelot New Member

Jul 8, 2006
    Directv will end up losing big time on this one if enough grandfathered subscribers drop their service level. There was no cost to Directv because there's no programming fee. Jacking it up is an attack on their oldest and likely best customers. The "everything" pack should include everything. Not extra for HD, not extra for Dvr, etc. When customers feel like they've reached a price point, regardless of finances, they feel taken advantage of.

10. sven_kirk

sven_kirk New Member

Sep 11, 2005
    Atlanta Ga
    I was about to say the same thing. I didn't threaten to cancel, but I asked if they can give any specials and I got $10 of for the next 6 months. That was fine by me. I really don't care about Showtime or HBO.

11. catocony

catocony Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I've been under the "$10 off for six months" thing off and on for 3.5 years. It's a very low bar for a grievance to get that response.

I still haven't gotten a letter or anything. If they do start charging me $7.00, in addition to the new $5.00 price increase, that's a 10% increase in one shot. Pretty big.

My TVs are getting old and my Tivo's too. I priced out FIOS last week and it's just as expensive as DirecTV with my separate cable modem service. I could go back to digital cable - I've only had one cable modem service issue in the last 2.5 years - but I still remember the hell those of us in Fairfax Co VA went through with Cox during the upgrades 10 years ago. Like with FIOS, my main problem is having to rent equipment. I've grown to really like the DirecTV method of just buying gear and not having a recurring fee. It is much, much cheaper over a 2-5 year lifespan of a given piece of gear.

12. acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    I've got fios and don't rent anything but a low end set top box for a secondary TV and the cable cards.

I own the Tivo and router.

Al

13. gworkman

gworkman Member

Feb 6, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Something about the DVR fee being waived kept me on Premium. I added Game Lounge for a few weeks and realized it was a waste of money so I turned it off. When I did, the grandfather gods struck down my free DVR service. I complained and got $6.00 off for 6 months. That was several months ago. With the new prices coming down, I decided to make some changes. I rewired a couple of TVs to share boxes and dropped two mirror fees. I went to the DVR/HD plus package (which gets discontinued in Feb) and got Starz/Showtime 2 for 1 offer. So instead of them getting 12 more dollars/month, they will lose 30/month.

14. spudly

spudly Isles&Fin Fan

Sep 19, 2001
    Pittsburgh ,PA
    I can't see how they can legally do that!
    If you bought a "lifetime" service how can they 'unlifetime' you down the road? For instance, it's not like a Gmail or Hotmail or any other "free" service where it is implied it will be free in perpetuaty then they decide to charge. Those of us paid for a lifetime subscription and that needs to be honored. I'm no lawyer but I imagine they couldn't have a legal leg to stand on... and would it even be worth it given the # of subs with that X the incrimental costs per sub. Then factor in the badwill it will creat + loss of a certain number of customers.

Just doesn't make sense...

-Glenn

15. sdaniel105

sdaniel105 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Are you saying for what I am paying $6/ month for all 4 of my Tivo's/ DVRs will soon be $24/ month?

Sean

16. samo

samo New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Littleton,...
    No, but you will soon be paying $7/ month for your 4 DVRs.

17. codespy

codespy Go A-Rod (Packers)

Jan 6, 2006
    Packerland, USA
    Can you PM me with a copy of this letter? Have not gotten one and I am grandfathered $0 DVR Fee.

I contacted DTV and they claim that I will remain grandfathered.

18. bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    He is talking about something different. I assume you paid lifetime when you got your first DirecTiVo. That sounds like it will still be grandfathered. However they used to have the Premier package with D* that included the DVR fee. Those customers are losing the included DVR fee.

19. catocony

catocony Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I haven't received a letter yet either and my bill for February still shows the DVR fee as $0.00. I've had Premier (currently 109.99 a month) for 8 years and with Tivos for six years. I'm wondering if maybe I'm somehow grandfathered in as well? I definitely don't remember paying for a lifetime Tivo license when I bought my unit, unless it was tacked on and I never noticed. How much did the lifetime licenses cost? When were they available, I got my Tivo back sometime in the winter of 2003-2004, from Best Buy I think.

20. codespy

codespy Go A-Rod (Packers)

Jan 6, 2006
    Packerland, USA
    He's talking about the same thing I am inquiring about. I did not get lifetime with any of my DirecTiVo's. I still have Premier with DVR fee included never got a letter stating I will start to get charged, that's why I am interested to see the letter.