Directv dialup failing

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by spaul539, Sep 16, 2007.

1. spaul539

spaul539 New Member

Sep 16, 2007
    I'm setting up a Directv TIVO that I bought on ebay and dial up isn't working. When running through the phone test menu, it gives a very clear message: "Couldn't connect."

This tivo is replacing one that has been working for 5 years.

Any ideas about where to get help?

2. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Did you set the phone settings for dialing one or not and area code or not

3. Irishsox1

Irishsox1 New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    I have the same issue. Hughes SD 40, worked great for years, after the update it won't connect. All I've been told to do is unplug the phone. But what about PPV or future software updates?

4. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Software updates come over the Satellite. Pay for view can be ordered at www.directv.com for no added charge. You just have to register at that site.

5. markbox

markbox Ni!

May 3, 2004
    S.F. Bay...
    I've been having multiple issues since the 6.3e software update. One of them was that the system (Hughes SD-DVR40) wouldn't connect to the DVR service via the phone connection. I checked the phone line by connecting an old phone and making a call so knew it was not the phone line. While troubleshooting another issue, I had disconnected the coax cables to the dish and rebooted the system. With the coax to the dish disconnected I was able to connect to the DVR service via the phone line. I have no idea how long the system had been unable to connect to the DVR service and my experience may have been a coincidence so YMMV. But it's worth a try.

6. Irishsox1

Irishsox1 New Member

Feb 14, 2005

I tried it and it didn't work. Thanks though.