Directv Customer Retention number requires pin now?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by NatasNJ, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Dec 6, 2006 #1 of 37
    NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly

Advertisements

My friend said he called the good direct customer retention phone number (forget it off hand) and said it would not work anymore and requires a pin number. If you don't put one in it shoots you over to basic CS. UGh......

Anyone know any details about this?

2. Dec 6, 2006 #2 of 37
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Correct.

About 3-4 weeks ago, DirecTV shut down all their "direct dial" numbers.

You have to go through the first line CSRs.
    If your case warrants being transfered to rentention, they will transfer you (and enter the PIN).

If your case warrants you to call retention back, they will provide you with a PIN number that is good for about 72 hours.

3. Dec 6, 2006 #3 of 37
    PRMan

PRMan New Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Yorba...
    So, they've changed their policy too? ;)

4. Dec 6, 2006 #4 of 37
    iceisles

iceisles New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Their CSR told me the reason for this was because they couldn't handle the volume of complaints about their in-house DVRs. As an employee, I didn't think they could bad-mouth the company like that.

5. Dec 6, 2006 #5 of 37
    ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...

Advertisements

How about more like, that is not the way the system is designed to work.
    Retention is a specialized department to handle particular "issues"... aka, retaining customers (hence the name).

Basically the direct number get passed around on boards like this, and those departments get abused for areas they are not designed or supposed to be handling.

And you can go back in to the archives of this forum, even before the DVR+ series was released, about people wanting to bypass the first line and go directly to other "departments".

It has nothing to do with the DVR+ series.

6. Dec 6, 2006 #6 of 37
    Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    Of course, if the first line people were a little more helpful, people might not want to go around them so much.

7. Dec 6, 2006 #7 of 37
    ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    True.

8. Dec 6, 2006 #8 of 37
    jrinck

jrinck Certified Neurotic

Nov 23, 2004
    Just try getting a human at all. Two weeks ago I ordered a PPV online, but it only went to one of my TVs. I grabbed my handy "preferred customer" card (or whatever it's called) and dialed. Preferred my a**. It sent me through the ringer on the automated system, helping not one bit.

All attempts to get to a human met with failure. I even called up those websites that give you direct lines to a human, all seeming to no avail. Some nightmarish and random button presses on the phone finally got me to a human. I'd have no idea how to repeat it, though, to where my problem was solved.

Twenty F***in minutes to clear up a simple issue. I tossed my preferred card in the garbage after that.

9. Dec 6, 2006 #9 of 37
    goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Reminds me years ago of my dad getting a "Preferred Customer Sale" flyer from Sears... turned it over on the back and it was addressed to "Occupant" at our address.

10. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    That's easy. Sears prefers customers who occupy homes.

11. dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    Years ago I had a similar problem. I called numerous times at various hours and got a recording about them being too busy to take my call and to please try later. Click.

No kidding - they just dropped the call, not even giving me the choice to sit in a hold queue.

The trick at the time was to call from a phone number that was unknown to them and select the "I wanna sign up" option from the first voice menu. Potential new customers had their calls answered immediately while existing customers were intentionally hung up on.

12. vector1701

vector1701 New Member

Nov 15, 2004
  13. SP1200

SP1200 New Member

Dec 5, 2006
    I have no problem getting retention when I say "Cancel service" to the computer voice....sends me right over...next think I know a nice english speaking girl answers and helps me out...

14. mlobitz

mlobitz Banned in the DBS

Dec 30, 2001
    It's people like you who make me say...

"Awesome!"

15. chamelea

chamelea New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    USA West Coast
    :D :D :D :up:
    (always wondered about that "Cancel" option .... Cingular has it too)

16. HofstraJet

HofstraJet Member in Hiding

Jul 19, 2001
    Coral...
    Just called and was told I am on the A list!!! Yeah, whatever......I still waited.

17. GrnBayViper

GrnBayViper New Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Packer Country
    Are you calling the old retention number and then after failed attempts of a valid pin saying "cancel service" or calling 1-800-DIRECTV and saying "cancel service"? I tried the old retention number but when it goes to the regular line after failed atempts at the pin it doesn't recognize my voice. I can only select prompts by entering keys on the phone.

I can't even understand first level customer serice. If you can't speak english well, then find a different career choice. I work in customer service and have for many years. I know what it is to provide perfect service and know when I'm not getting perfect service.

18. serenstarlight

serenstarlight MT Goddess

Aug 16, 2003
    Utar (I'm a...
    Well I sure hope that you never find yourself living/working in a foreign country where english is not the primary language. And someone tells you since you have a thick american english accent that you shouldn't work customer service.
    I think it's purely ignorant to say you haven't received good customer service if you're talking to someone who sounds different. It's not their fault they're working for a company that outsources. The fact of the matter is, is that they're working for a paycheck just like everyone else does.

19. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    If you can't communicate well in the language you need to communicate in most, and that communication is an essential part of your job, you shouldn't have that job until you can communicate better.

20. GrnBayViper

GrnBayViper New Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Packer Country
    Working in customer service I know what it is like to "earn" a paycheck. It's not easy listening to people b**ch all day.

I'm just saying not speaking the language well just makes the customer that much more upset when they can't understand a person becuase of their accient.

I'm not trying to start a fight here. I just had a simple question about getting a hold of someone at DTV who can address all my concerns right away. Can anyone help me out with the true question I had?