DirecTV Configuration Suggestions

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Babaleaux, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Babaleaux

Babaleaux New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Houston
    I am a DirecTV user and soon will be upgrading to an HD DVR receiver. I still plan to use my two Sony UltimateTV units as part of the configuration. Since both Sony units are DVRs, I realize I will need two lines to each unit along with whatever is required for the new HD DVR, which I assume is the Hughes H10-250. Given this setup:

Which satellite antenna is required for my purpose?

Is an OTA antenna necessary for the Houston area?

Will I need a multi-switch device and if so how many in/out options is recommended?

Will I need new RG6 cabling throughout?

Also, I currently have a kitchen monitor that is enslaved to the main TV in the den so they are always on the same channel. What changes are required when I replace both units with HD TVs?

I realize I could get this information from some Circuit City salesman or a DirecTV installer but I would like to be armed with valid technical information so I can verify their recommendations. Thanks for your patience and help.

2. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    Phase III multi-sat dish.

Only if you want to watch your local channels in HD on the HR10-250.

You don't state what you have now. You will need a 4 or 5 input/8 output cascadable switch.

Probably not.

You would need some type of HD distribution box. Like a component or HDMI distribution box. Check out AVS in the HDTV Hardware section for suggestions. They aren't cheap.

You give them WAYYYYYY to much credit.

-Robert

3. moxie1617

moxie1617 Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Chicago...
    I currently run a TV in the kitchen off of my DirecTivo using the RF out via RG-6 cable to the kitchen TV. In my situation I have a problem if I go to the HR10-250 because the HR10-250 doesn't have an RF output to do this. Here are the specs posted at http://www.ptvupgrade.com/products/hr10-250/HD_DVR-screen.pdf

4. jautor

jautor Also wants a pony

Jul 1, 2001
    Houston, TX
    You can still do this, with a few bucks, and one limitation...

I feed my office TV (SD LCD) from the HR10-250, using a very nice little stereo encoding modulator from RadioShack ($39). Take the composite outputs from the HR10, and feed them to the modulator. Now, configure the HR10 so that only 480i and 720p (which works for my DLP, 1080i may be a better choice depending on your HD set) are enabled output formats.

The limitation is that you can't watch 720p/1080i on the main HD set while watching the other set. But a simple up-arrow-twice on the remote will toggle to a 480i output resolution, which enables the composite output, and therefore the modulator... Works great as long as your HD set's input accepts 480i on the same input as the HD resolution - so you get only SD quality if you need simultaneous output, but for my purposes, this is fine...

Jeff

PS - for the OP, OTA in Houston works great. All of the antennas are in Missouri City, so it's easy to point to. I'm 22 miles from the towers according to antennaweb.org and get all the stations using an attic antenna and a 10db preamp.

5. sandpj

sandpj New Member

Feb 9, 2004
    Houston
    Just a note on the antenna, Fry's has the Channel Master 4228 for $50 which works great in my attic in Kingwood (approx 40 miles from the antenna farm).

6. moxie1617

moxie1617 Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Chicago...
    Thanks, found the modulator on the Radio Shack site. Your making my decision to go to the HR10-250 easier.

7. Babaleaux

Babaleaux New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Houston
    Is anyone aware of a schematic or diagram of what my system should look like? I only intend to run one line to the two Sony units since thery have no recording requirements but I will be getting the new triple LNB Ku/Ka dish (AT9) and an H10-250 until the H20-250 arrives.