Directv boxes=burn in

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by AAIERON, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Aug 9, 2007 #1 of 11
    AAIERON

AAIERON New Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Huntsville,Tx.
    http://www.hdguru.com/

2. Aug 9, 2007 #2 of 11
    joed32

joed32 New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Don't all HDTVs have a stretch mode, would that work?

3. Aug 9, 2007 #3 of 11
    SubMan337

SubMan337 New Member

May 30, 2004
    Sunny FLA!
    This is a problem with ANY viewing source - not just D* boxes! It can happen from your DVD player or recorder, cable box, VCR or any other video source. You just gotta be smart enough to figure out how to prevent it. . . I have an LCD 40" but always keep it stretched out in 4:3 mode. You get used to the slightly distorted aspect real quickly - especially when you realize the damage that may occur otherwise.

4. Aug 9, 2007 #4 of 11
    Charlutz

Charlutz New Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Columbia, MD
    Stretch mode is unbearable for me. Original aspect ratio is the only way to fly. Interesting article since it seems to draw a distinction between the gray pillar box bars and the smaller black lines that come with viewing with a new Directv dvr. That's a reach imo. The gray bars do not "prevent" burn in, they only supposedly lessen the effect. If they are so gung ho to take a shot at the new dvrs for burn in, why didn't they mention the screen saver that kicks in when the program is paused for more than a couple minutes? My HR20s have them, but my HR10's did not. Smacks of propaganda, or at least less than full disclosure.

5. Aug 9, 2007 #5 of 11
    5thcrewman

5thcrewman Active Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NW
    What a buncha baloney! If you insist on watching pillar-boxed change the color of the pilllars!

6. Aug 9, 2007 #6 of 11
    nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Unfortunately the OP didn't include a link so you could see what the writer is talking about. See http://hdguru.com/ Stretching your 4:3 picture will not eliminate those extra black bars unless your set is overscanning.

The black bars he's talking about are not the normal bars created by windowboxing - they're additional bars that appear to be created by DirecTV not broadcasting the full width of the SD picture. This is another example of DTV skimping on quality to save bandwidth. The good news is that with all the bandwidth the have going up it should be a couple of years before they have to start cranking down the quality on all those new HD channels. ;)

7. Aug 9, 2007 #7 of 11
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Oh, is that what's causing those bars? I had wondered (I have an HR20 now.) But my HR10 doesn't do that, so how could it be the incoming signal?

Burn-in isn't an issue for me, though (SXRD). Still, I agree that it is annoying and can see how it could be a real problem for many.

8. Aug 9, 2007 #8 of 11
    drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Not true. DIRECTV would be quite happy if you continued to use your existing DIRCTiVo receivers. A mirror fee is a mirror fee. :)

They just really want you to know if you want the new HD content, you will need the HR20. So get an HR20, but please, feel free to keep your HR10 on your account as well. :)

9. Aug 9, 2007 #9 of 11
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    It's obvious that WNBC isn't properly framing the 4:3 content. The extra black bars are where the true 4:3 should be. So it gets shown this way along with the gray bars on HDTVs in 16:9 mode. You could change your TV to use black bars, but this is worse with regard to burn-in.

10. cramer

cramer Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Raleigh,...
    As much as the DLP crowd likes to preach about burn-in on plasma TVs, it's BS. All displays can suffer from various forms of burn-in. In the case of DLP's, the mirrors eventually warp. Plasma's suffer "ghost images" due to differing current leakage for each transistor controlling each cell -- the hotter transistors leak more current. For both, when the power is off, the image is no longer visable. (usually. I've see some true burn-in on displays used for conferences, but they've had the same image on screen for years. At very high brightness.)

Nothing pisses me off more than broadcasters padding their SD content. Only my TV knows what 50% is. It will set the unused cells on my screen to 50% - PERIOD. No amount of user adjustments will change the power level to those cells. If it's 4:3 SD content, broadcast it as 4:3 SD content and let my TV deal with it. If you pad it, there's f*** nothing I can do about it.

I've had a plasma TV for 7-8 years now. I leave things paused all the time. Yet, I don't have any burn-in. I don't have any uneven effects. It looks as good today as the day it came off the truck. The TV knows when a static image is being displayed; it lowers the brighness and shifts the image occasionally. (even staring straight at it, you won't notice it.)

11. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    DLP mirrors warp? Hadn't heard that one. My set is LcOS (SXRD) so mini-mirrors nor color wheels for me.

Plasma sets have improved a lot regarding burn-in, but ANY set that relies on phosphors is going to have some level of burn-in or just overall degradation in the light output. Properly adjusting the set and avoiding static images will help avoid noticing this for a very long time.